African American Weddings

Bridesmaids Hair

Hello,

My BMs are wearing long bridesmaids dresses and I thought it would look great if they all wore their hair up in a soft updo, especially since I'm wearing my hair down. But the more I look into it, I'm not so sure that would be a great idea because some of them (well, most of them) would have to get some type of weave in order for an updo to look nice. So, I'm leaning away from that idea because I wouldn't get weave for any of my friend's weddings and I don't want to ask them to do that for me in addition to all their shoes and dress.

So....with that said, I'm thinking about just letting them wear their hair however they want to. But I have one BM who has long dramatic weave and is known to steal everyone's thunder. I don't want to be mean by telling her she can't wear all that hair but I really don't want her doing this because....well...it's not her day!

Any suggestions?

Re: Bridesmaids Hair

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_bridesmaids-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:c7643343-8646-4b16-b5d3-7c117a143b24Post:aaef3f61-da94-4889-ba46-5192a1b0b924">Bridesmaids Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello, My BMs are wearing long bridesmaids dresses and I thought it would look great if they all wore their hair up in a soft updo, especially since I'm wearing my hair down. But the more I look into it, I'm not so sure that would be a great idea because some of them (well, most of them) would have to get some type of weave in order for an updo to look nice. So, I'm leaning away from that idea because I wouldn't get weave for any of my friend's weddings and I don't want to ask them to do that for me in addition to all their shoes and dress. So....with that said, I'm thinking about just letting them wear their hair however they want to. But I have one BM who has long dramatic weave and is known to steal everyone's thunder. I don't want to be mean by telling her she can't wear all that hair but I really don't want her doing this because....well...it's not her day! Any suggestions?
    Posted by brittanyl8605[/QUOTE]

Even if she wears the dramatic weave, I'm sure people are still going to pay more attention to you and your FI. They'll notice your pretty white dress. ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    I think you should let them wear their hair the way they want, and your BM with the dramatic weave will not take away your shine on your wedding day.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I know that sometimes in "wedding world" we get really particular about the little things, but you have to know that even if your friend wears amazing weaves, she can't upstage you on your wedding day. You will be the person walking down the aisle in that gorgeous dress with all eyes on her. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but if her hair can take away from your day...we need to brainstorm some other wow factors for you hon! Please don't stress this...it will be all about you and your FI on that day. I understand providing direction with hair...I plan to do the same, but I can't see telling a grown woman that the hair she usually wears will get her too much attention unless of course it is hard, high, and six different colors...then, you'd have a real problem.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I totally agree, that no one will be able to steal your shine on this day. So it will be ok to let them wear their hair the way that they like.
    Photobucket www.mywedding.com/malcolmandkiaforever http://aawbrides.weebly.com/
  • brittanyl8605brittanyl8605 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. I will let them wear their hair however they want.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/PP - don't stress yourself over it. 
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah.. you should let them wear whatever they want.  My only requirement to their hairdo's is that if I can smell spritz as you pass by then its a "NO".
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • edited December 2011
    In agreement with pp's. Let them wear their hair however they want. Nobody will be able to steal your shine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards