Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

*slm*

so tell me more about that kindle! i am still torn on it... do you have to pay to use the wireless featureo n it or is it free?? How long does the battery REALLY last?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *slm*

• edited December 2011
    R - I have the old, first generation Kindle, so mine is a little different from the one that is available now.  But, I can give you general info.  

The wireless feature is 100% free.  Additionally, you can download straight from the computer through a USB cord which is really easy and quick as well.  It's a necessary feature because sometimes the wireless isn't readily available.  My house is really bad for wireless, both for the Kindle and my cell phone, so I'm happy that the USB feature is in place.

When you want to buy a book, you have 2 options.  1) You can buy it straight from the wireless store.  You get there through the main menu on your Kindle.  It's good when you are on the go, but it's not the easiest to use.  Plus, it's a little on the slow side - since it is running the same way as a cell phone.  The book downloads automatically right after you buy it.  2) You can buy a book on amazon.com, at their Kindle store.  To me, this is much more user friendly for finding a book - especially if you read a series and need to read the books in the correct order.  Once you buy a book this way, you then turn on your wireless on your Kindle and it will either download automatically or you have to find it and transfer it.  My DH doesn't ever have to find and transfer, so that might be an issue with the 1st generations.

One really great feature is that you can get a FREE sample of ANY book that is in Kindle format.  It's usually a chapter or two of the book.  It allows you to see if you really want to buy a book or not.  I've done this a few times and I often end up buying the book.  But, it does come in handy, like with Stephanie Myers's The Host, which I found really boring after the first 6 chapters (which is what they gave you to sample).  Needless to say I didn't buy the whole book.

Battery life is awesome, IF you don't have your wireless connection on continuously.  The wireless connection drains the battery quickly.  If I don't put the wireless on, I can make it through a good size fantasy book - like a Terry Goodkind or Robert Jordan - without needing a recharge.  In practical terms, during teaching semesters, when I can only read for an hour or so in the evening, I can go about a week in between chargings.  In the summer and on vacation, when I read more often, I definitely charge it every couple days.  When we went on our HM this weekend, we had a 10 hour flight to Hawaii.  I didn't have it on all the time, but I didn't have to charge it from the time we left until we landed in Hawaii either.  I also was able to carry only it and buy 4 books while I was there, so that was awesome too.

The new Kindle may have slightly different battery life.  I would ask DH, but he is sound asleep.  If I remember to do it later today, I'll pop back in and let you know.  You may also want to page Hey-Its-Jenn because her Kindle is the newest one available.  I think she bought it around a month ago. 

BTW, within the next few weeks, I plan on getting together a list of my books that I will be getting rid of.  I know a ton of them will be fantasy.  When I get that list together, I'll send it to you to see if you would like any of them.  
  • edited December 2011
    R - BTW, why are you asking me about the Kindle when you're supposed to be getting ready for your wedding???  

Have a great time this weekend.  I can't wait to see and hear all about it.
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everything is finally finished for the wedding, so at this point I am just killing time until friday. Going over mom's for thanksgiving today though, and to see family i only see a couple times a year! woo!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards