African American Weddings

RSVP Hell! (long vent)

My RSVP deadline was October 1, 2011. I called my mother so she could call her sister to find out if she is coming. My aunt says oh I didn't know I had to return the card. I thought I could just show up. My mom tells her there was return postage included you should have returned it. My aunt says well she only allowed for me and 1 guest and I was going to bring my whole family. Her whole family includes about 15-20 additional people. My mom tells her I only allowed for 2 people so you cannot bring your extra family members. This day is about my daughter not your family.

My aunt gets upset an says well if we all can't come to the reception can we come to the wedding. I told her no because the wedding and reception are being held in the same room. Even though during the wedding they will have the room set up theater style seating, but I know her extra family member won't leave. My aunt goes back to my mother and says well I'll pay for everyone else since she won't. How the heck are you inviting extra people to MY wedding. If I wanted them to be there they would have received an invitation. I asked my FI he said NO. I am so frustrated and just want all of this to be over.

Anniversary

Re: RSVP Hell! (long vent)

• edited December 2011
    Stand your ground on this one!  If she won't be respectful of your wishes, charge her to the game if she chooses not to come at all.  
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP stand your ground.  It's nice that your mom is handling it but if it keeps going back and forth I would make that phone call myself.  Tell her you had to submit your final numbers to the caterer on the 3rd that is why you had a 1st deadline.  Since you didn't receive anything from her she was not included in the final count.  If that is too harsh for you to do say all that and then say that it may be possible for you to tell the caterer to add just 1 (or 2 if she is married)  more person for her if she would like to come but that is all.    STAY STRONG AND DO NOT LET THIS RUIN YOUR DAY!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    OMG! I can't believe your aunt wants to invite 15 extra people to YOUR wedding. Like you said if you wanted them there you would have invited them. Girl just stand your ground and like PP said you may have to make that phone call yourself because she is doing too much. Don't let it stress you either. I hope it all works out.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    That's crazy. She can bring herself and 1 other person. Period.
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_rsvp-hell-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:1a1391ce-39fc-433e-8164-a08786026ddePost:b165550d-1723-4fb1-8ffc-5ace9f13e0e0">Re: RSVP Hell! (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's crazy. She can bring herself and 1 other person. Period.
    Posted by ymw6110[/QUOTE]

This!
  • edited December 2011
    If your dinner is $50 per plate tell her it is $100 per plate. If she is going to be that rude than I would make her pay for it all the way to the bank. LOL! Okay I just wanted to be evil for a second.

I agree with everyone, hold your ground and tell her no.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_rsvp-hell-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1a1391ce-39fc-433e-8164-a08786026ddePost:b165550d-1723-4fb1-8ffc-5ace9f13e0e0">Re: RSVP Hell! (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's crazy. She can bring herself and 1 other person. Period.
    Posted by ymw6110[/QUOTE]

Definitely this!  But for some reason I have the feeling she would still try to bring extra people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    133 Invited image 92 Are ready to celebrate! image 24 Are missing out image 17 Can't find the mailbox. image
  • edited December 2011
    The nerve of some ppl. Kudos to your mom for speaking up, but I think you should say something. Do you have someone who will be monitoring the seating at the reception?? Just to ensure everyone present has rsvp'd?
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards