Virginia-Richmond

Handicap accessible venues?

Hi everyone,

I don't live in Richmond but am trying to plan a wedding there since my grandparents can't travel.  My grandmother is pretty much wheelchair bound and I want her to be at my wedding.  We're planning a smaller wedding, maybe about 50-75 guests max and ideally would like a place where we could have both the ceremony and reception or that are close to each other that are handicap accessible (ramps/elevators, etc.). 

I am looking for ideas maybe in/around Carytown, Shockhoe Bottom, Fan area or  somewhere in the West End/Short Pump area.  One place that seemed unique is Main Street Station but I couldn't tell from their Website if it was handicap acccessible (e.g., ramps, elevators)?  We visited the Poe museum gardens one weekend but hadn't found any nearby restaurants or other spaces for a reception that were handicap accessible places. 

We do not want to get married in a church but I think are open to most other ideas.    

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Re: Handicap accessible venues?

• laurenc192laurenc192 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Mill at Fine Creek (about 20 minutes away from Short Pump area) and it is 100% handicap accessible. The entrance is flat and they do have space for both ceremony and reception. The food is amazing. If you're looking for a city vibe this is not your place because it is kind of off the beaten path, but it's gorgeous and worth looking at.
  • edited December 2011
    Dorey Recreation Center 
    7200 Dorey Park Dr. Henrico, VA 23231
    Phone: (804) 795-2334
    Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
    Rental/Program Hours : Mon-Thur: 8 a.m.-10 p.m.;
    Fri: 8 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sat: 8:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sun: 1-10 p.m.

Hidden Creek Recreation Center
    2417 Brockway Ln. Henrico, VA 23223
    Phone: (804) 643-8302
    Office Hours: Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Deep Run Recreation Center
    9910 Ridgefield Pkwy. Henrico, VA 23233
    Phone: (804) 290-0305
    Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

The web site I got the info from
    http://www.co.henrico.va.us/departments/rec/recreation-centers---facilities/recreationcenters
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden (http://www.lewisginter.org/). It is in the city and does both ceremony and reception. I am getting married in the Flagler Pavilion with the reception at the Tea House -- the maximum capacity is 60 and I am fairly certain the whole garden is handicapped accessible.  
  • WTTWTT
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Main Street Station is owned and managed by the City of Richmond, they HAVE to be wheelchair compliant! I know they have elevators and ramps. I had my wedding there, and I remember the elevator Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards