North Carolina-Outer Banks

How Are Things Going Beach Brides?

Just wanted to take a moment to say hello and to see how things are going for everyone?  How is planning...stressful or easy?  Need to vent, here is the place.  Are some of you getting closer to the date...excitement, last minute details, etc?  What are you planning to do with friends and family while in obx?

Re: How Are Things Going Beach Brides?

• HStaffordHStafford member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting very excited!!  My wedding date is 6/3/11, and I have sent out (and received back) lots of invitations and we're ready to just go and get married now!  I feel like I should be busy taking care of things and planning, but we have had all of our vendors confirmed since October, so there isn't too much to do (plus I used a wedding planner down there, SOOO worth it!).

Now its just the little details left and trying to think of things to make the event a little more special/put a personal touch on things.  We have been amazed by the feedback from the guests - there will be about 100 people attending and 4 big ocean homes rented, so just looking forward to spending a week down there with all of those closest to us!
  • mskate1031mskate1031 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My weddings this September at the Hilton Pier House and I feel like I am so behind on everything!!  I'm thinking about hiring a wedding planner but I'm not sure if I can make it work with our budget.  I also need to hire a minister so i would love any suggestions!  I looked at Rev Jay Bowman but he is booked the day of our wedding. 

So much to do!!! 

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies,
    Planning is going well for me. All the big things are reserved: venue, food, music, cake, officiant, flowers. I'm buying my dress in 2 weeks. My biggest stress right now is that my parents and FI's parents will be meeting for the first time very soon! Our families could not be more different. My parents are laid-back hippies from California, his are uptight traditional baptists from Maryland. So, we shall see how well they get along. Hoping for the best....

MSkate- For an officiant, did you look at Marsha Johnson of Outer Banks I Do? Here's her site: www.outerbanksido.com
    We met with her and I think she would be a great officiant. If we didn't already book one, I would have gone with her.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_things-going-beach-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:a27c782c-03c1-4ee5-a898-81b770cb42e5Post:cfa7e15e-3069-4401-bbae-e584efdf2ca2">Re: How Are Things Going Beach Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My weddings this September at the Hilton Pier House and I feel like I am so behind on everything!!  I'm thinking about hiring a wedding planner but I'm not sure if I can make it work with our budget.  I also need to hire a minister so i would love any suggestions!  I looked at Rev Jay Bowman but he is booked the day of our wedding.  So much to do!!! 
    Posted by mskate1031[/QUOTE]

When in Sept?  I am 9/16....very excited!

I would book your officiant like now....dont want to make you panic at all, but I would definitely book someone this week!  Jay Bowman, Holt Clark (my off.), Randy Banks are all booked for my day and thats a Friday!    Go ahead and call Dr Clarke at Outer Banks Wedding Services at 843-607-7037 and see if he or his father are available.  Also use the <a href="http://www.obxwa.com/">www.obxwa.com</a> to look for other officiants in case he is booked for your day and then I also Googled officians in nags head, nc b/c not ALL officiants are listed with the obx wedding association.

Ok what is it that you are feeling behind on?  Have you been following The Knot checklist?  That tool will keep you on track for sure.  What can I help with?  If you need anything at all, dont hesitate to ask.  I personally wouldnt hire a planner since you live to close to NC and since you mentioned it wasnt part of your budget.  You CAN totally do this yourself....just take a deep breath, study your checklist and just keep going down the list.  I have been vacationing in obx since I was a kid, so please let me know if you need help with anything at all ::

Deep breaths ;)

• LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi all,

We have exactly four weeks to go to our April 20th wedding.  Everything wedding-related beach-wise is in place.  We've gotten everything paid up (going with Renee Landry flowers, Marsha Johnson cake & officiate, and Good Life Gourmet catering) and the ONLY glitch is that I don't yet have my VISA to legally get married in the US (I'm Canadian, he's American).  If it's not here by the time I leave for the OBX (April 14th), our wedding will be ceremonial only (which I've already checked w/Marsha that it's okay to do - it is) and I will have to return to Canada until my VISA is ready (which breaks our hearts to no end as we've waited to be together for three years!).

Our glimmer of hope is that the USCIS office processing the application has improved their processing time from 9 months to 5.3 which falls into our time period now.  I could easily have everything in place before I head down, but for now, it's a giant problem looming ahead of me... 
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LRPardy, I am right behind you!  5 weeks from today is my big day!!  I feel like it's gotten really busy in the last 3-4 weeks with sending in last payments; making final decisions on songs, food, etc.; trying to figure out and implement personal touches to the wedding; following up on late RSVP-ers and hotel reservations; figuring out favors;and now starting to plan fun things for guests to do as they arrive.  

Really looking forward to getting back to the OBX - this time to become a MRS.!!  :)

Thanks for all the great advice along the way ladies - it has been soooo helpful!
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH - and LRPardy - good luck getting your visa in time!!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    LRP & dwf.....wowwwww!!!  You guys must be soooo excited....I know I am for you!  Us beach brides will be thinking of you both on your special day and you know we expect some pics right?

Yayyyy!!! :)

• tinkboxer2tinkboxer2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I'm an April 30th Bride and I'm starting to lose it. I still haven't ordered my flowers (doing them wholesale) and still don't have a rehersal dinner/welcome party place reserved, trying to save money...there hasn't been easy. Even the pizza places are $18 a pie...Probably why I don't sleep anymore. Also would like to have suggestions for the guests to do while they are there for the weekend, will take any ideas out there?!?!? Welcome party will be about 50-60 people.
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!  I will definitely post some pics and give vendor reviews.

Tinkboxer, how many ppl in your welcome party?  High Cotton does Delivery and Set up for as little as $13 per person (with a $100 fee for set up).

Some of my guests are looking forward to looking at the wild horses and others are kayaking.  
  • tergitergi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_things-going-beach-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:a27c782c-03c1-4ee5-a898-81b770cb42e5Post:c6af8263-1df8-4053-93eb-142010f344f6">Re: How Are Things Going Beach Brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, I'm an April 30th Bride and I'm starting to lose it. I still haven't ordered my flowers (doing them wholesale) and still don't have a rehersal dinner/welcome party place reserved, trying to save money...there hasn't been easy. Even the pizza places are $18 a pie...Probably why I don't sleep anymore. Also would like to have suggestions for the guests to do while they are there for the weekend, will take any ideas out there?!?!? Welcome party will be about 50-60 people.
    Posted by tinkboxer2[/QUOTE]

Not sure what area you are staying, but found this pizza place on another website.It is located right near our rental house in Duck, and looks rather inexpensive and delicious!
    <a href="http://www.thewavepizza.com/Menu.html">http://www.thewavepizza.com/Menu.html</a>
  • mskate1031mskate1031 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Everyone for the tips!  The minister at our church has agreed to travel to the Outer Banks for our wedding!  We are thrilled. 

OBX2011- Our wedding is on September 2nd!  I also started to using the knot checklist and it has definitely helped.  Thanks for the tip.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards