Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Family and wedding planning!

ME and my fiance are 18. We will be 19 when we are married and the date is June 25th. The problem is, I cant get anyone to actually start planning. I've asked both sets of parents for guest lists, budget, ect but to no avail. The only one actually being supportive of me trying to plan is my fiancee. How can I get both families to realize that the wedding is only 7 months away and we can't wait to do everything last minute?

Re: Family and wedding planning!

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh dear.

What happens when you talk to your family about it?  Are they just procrastinators or are they not supportive of your plans to marry?

As far as budget goes, unless your family has offered to pay, you don't get a budget from them.  Guest list yes, budget, no.  You plan the wedding you and your FI can afford and budget accordingly.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://dallas.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:a44907a3-58f9-4a4e-98a1-d5dbb7f9fa91">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh dear. <strong>What happens when you talk to your family about it?  Are they just procrastinators or are they not supportive of your plans to marry?</strong> As far as budget goes, unless your family has offered to pay, you don't get a budget from them.  Guest list yes, budget, no.  You plan the wedding you and your FI can afford and budget accordingly.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

This.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:925fb0a5-3f3d-432a-a59b-d512eabc1b23">Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ME and my fiance are 18. We will be 19 when we are married and the date is June 25th. The problem is, I cant get anyone to actually start planning. I've asked both sets of parents for guest lists, budget, ect but to no avail. The only one actually being supportive of me trying to plan is my fiancee. How can I get both families to realize that the wedding is only 7 months away and we can't wait to do everything last minute?
    Posted by amber+mcnitt[/QUOTE]

Have both families already agreed to give you a certain amount of money towards the wedding?  If not, you should budget and plan based on what you and your FI can afford.  Anything else is a bonus.  No one is going to be as focused on your planning as you.  Maybe set a time for you and your FI to get together with each set of families separately to discuss the basics of the wedding.  You can bring up the budget then and go from there.  Take a list with you of when certain items will need to be paid (deposits on venue, cake, etc.) Then you can ask if there is anything they would be willing to pay for.  Keep in mind, even though it's your wedding, when someones offers to pay for something they generally get a say in how the money is spent.  You may want to save up your own money for the dress if you don't want someone else telling you what you should wear.
  • edited December 2011

I would definitely have a long talk with your parents. Ask them their thoughts, and respect their opinions. You don't have to do what they say, but they love you and want what's best for you. Be understanding and don't get defensive. Be prepared to pay for your wedding yourselves.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can't force anyone to do anything, even if they are excited and willing to help.

As far as the guest list, give the parents a time-frame in writing. The holdiays are here so they may honestly be busy right now but if they don't give you a list, then come up with your own. If they get mad or ask about it, then tell them they didn't do their part. Now, if they're paying for it, that's a different story, kind of.

The budget is up to you, unless they've offered to pay. Some parents will hand over X amount and others offer to pay for X item. If they're not helping you then you two will need to do it yourself. I know you don't have much time but until you have money in your hand, I wouldn't rely on it. If they have offered to pay for a specific item, find a few different things that you like, get a quote, and take it to the parents. I know quite a bit of budgeting has to do with the number of guests but that might be something that you have to set. Think of everyone you possibly can and maybe add a few and use that number.

My wedding's 19 months away so I don't even have a general idea of how many people might attend. When inquiring about catering and cake, I used a rough number to get a basic price off of. The caterer won't need a head count until a week or so before the wedding, you can kind of hold off on your cake. Really, the only reason you would need to know right now how many people you might have is for the venue (make sure it can hold enough) and the invitations.

I know it gets stressful but you still have time. Don't freak out just yet!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A) congrats on your engagement! How long have you been engaged?

My wedding is the weekend before yours, but nobody really locked down and became involved until about 2 months ago after we got engaged in May. I did research, figured out what my budget was, and only worked within THAT amount until another amount was offered to me by my parents.
    B) Had someone previously mentioned that they would contribute to the overall price of the wedding?
    It can't be something that is expected. My mom always said that I had to date someone for a minimum of 2 years before she would think of paying for a wedding, so I knew that there were passive-aggressive stipulations that had to be met before they would offer up any cash, and I never asked or waited patiently for a handout.

I will piggy back on PP, have a talk with them and get their feelings about the engagement and wedding. Until I started my research, nobody else really knew how far in advance things really needed to be booked since I am the first of the daughters to get married--so that may be their thought as well. Have the talk SOON...June is quickly approaching. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:4fdc3ef7-f617-4443-b03e-abf8f3c303bf">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]A) congrats on your engagement! How long have you been engaged?
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

Paging greenturtlelove
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • edited December 2011
    We have been dating 1 year and 8 months. We both have full time jobs so we plan on paying for most of the wedding ourselves but both sets of parents have said they will contribute. Both sets of parents are supportive, but my future mother-in-law hates planning and doesnt want to do anything, but she still is going to be contributing to the cost of the wedding. We have a very small budget so some things are going to be difficult. One thing I really care about is the photography. All decent photographers charge a minimum of 1500 (at least that ive seen), and they think thats ridiculous. I on the other hand think that its my wedding and if I'm paying for it then it is my business. I really dont want to plan this wedding all by myself but its starting to look that way.....
  • edited December 2011
    Take a minute. Breathe. There are plenty of ways to plan a wedding without breaking the bank.

I suggest you look here for starters, to get an idea of who other girls from the area have used. http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_vendor-list

We all have different budgets so I'm sure you can find something to fit in your price range. I personally found my wonderful photographer on Craigslist of all places, and she is very legit (some of those people, not so much.) It's all about taking the time to do research and not rush into things. Venture over to the Budget boards as well, those girls have some great insight on where to cut corners.

As far as your family not seeming to be so gung-ho on this, like someone else said, give it til after the holidays because this is a very overwhelming time. How long have you had the ring on yoru finger? I know you said "dating 1 year 8 months" but how long have you officially been engaged? You could always put this off til the following June (2012) if money is such a huge concern. My Fiance and I will have been engaged 19 months and a week by the time we tie the knot and I think this is the best circumstance we could have asked for, so that we aren't paying off our wedding and instead can pay our mortgage.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
  • edited December 2011
    We're here for you! When you say "very small budget" what exactly are you anticipating your budget to be? Also, what part of DFW are you looking at? Most of us on here have done research, have our weddings set, or are already married so we can help you out. My budget is approx. $8000...but that's not quite set in stone. If you're looking in the HEB/N. Richland Hills/Colleyville area I can help! Just let us know a little bit more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Between me and my fiance our budget is around 2500. I have no idea what our parents plan on contributing. It almost serms like its not doable. 2k wont go very far. If we can afford to put more than 10% of every paycheck towards the wedding then we will. But theres no telling. Its all just very discouraging. We've also decided not to cater the reception to cut cost and just have cake and drinks. We have been engaged since September. As for waiting till 2012 for the wedding...we really just dont want to. 
    @ Wendi: Who is your photographer?

@ 2012JulyBride: And we are actually right in Fort Worth itself. Close to N. Richland Hills and Saginaw more specifically.
  • edited December 2011
    We are not going into debt over this wedding. Everything will be paid for in cash or we wont have it. ( my fiance might smack me if i suggested going into debt. jk ;) and second, we have both prayed about this date and we both feel like this is the date God wants. So june 25th 2011 it will be. We will cut corners wherever we can to save. And it will all work out in the end. I hope!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure $2,500 is doable for a total wedding budget. Like you said, good photographers start at $1500, and that's the majority of your budget. I just pushed my wedding date back from April 2011 to October 2011 and it took off a load of stress. What's the rush? You said you just don't want to change the date, but it will really help you to not go into debt. I know you said you're not going to go into debt, but everyone ends up going over their budget. Why do you feel like that is the date that God wants you to get married? Have y'all done any type of pre marital counseling with your pastor? Do you two live on your own? I know you say you have full time jobs, but it costs a lot of money to move out on your own after the rent/mortgage and utility bills. Are you going to college?
    It's just when I was 18, I had no idea how expensive everything ends up being when you're on your own. I'm 23, my FI is 26, we both have careers and we're still barely able to keep our heads above water. I'm really glad I waited to get our lives situated before we took on wedding planning.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Well first God will provide. I found a photographer for the exact price me and my FI have prayed we would. As for the date, we are doing what God told us to. God gave us the date and we aren't going to just not listen. I recently just moved back in with my mother to save money before the wedding and we are currently looking at apartments. And yes, we know what the cost of living is. I moved out at 17 and I'm only back for the holidays. As for going over budget, its not going to happen. We don't do credit cards so if there isn't money in the bank its not being purchased. My FI would put his foot down. (he's big into managing money) Heck he's been making 250 dollar ring payments for the past 7 months plus he put down 1k in cash for it all while working a part time job. If we don't have the money for a ton of useless decorations then we won't have them. And our 2500 budget is just what me and my FI are contributing. That's not including both sets of parents and wealthy grandparents. On top of that we are only inviting 100 or so people, and half of those are out of state and won't be coming. We are starting pre-marital counseling in January and for right now we are reading through books on marriage and communication. My FI is currently going to school but I decided that after highschool I wanted to take a year off and just work. Some people may say 19 is to young to get married but it all depends on your maturity level. My future mother in law thinks we are way more mature than she was when her and her hubby got married, and they've been married 20 something years. It's all about how you were raised and your life experiences.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a whole lot of problems with this post, and I don't even care that you are only 18.
    I have a problem with people saying "God will provide" and that that is the date that God wants you to get married. I am a Christian and believe in God with all of my heart, but you can't use that as an excuse to not be responsible and ignore everyone's advice. God has provided for me in some amazing ways when I really needed help, but I can't expect that to happen every time. I can only be thankful when it does happen.
    I don't think you really do know how hard it is when you are really on your own. The fact that you had to move back home to save money after moving out for only a year or less doesn't really show that you are ready for being on your own for real. And if you think $250 a month for your ring is a big deal, you're in for a big surprise. My insurance for just myself just went to $365 A MONTH. At 18, you aren't aware of all of the little things that your parents cover, like health insurance or other bills where you might be on their account. I used to have all this extra money when I lived at home (after graduating from college and getting a career) so I thought we would be good when we moved out, but it's gone every month now for bills I never thought I would have to worry about. It's been a real eye opener.
    I don't know where you were going with "It's all about how you were raised and your life experiences." My life experiences are where I am coming from. My mom was a single mother of 3 kids so I know how hard it can be when things don't go how you expect them to. 
    Also, you can't expect any money from anyone else unless they have already offered a specific amount to you, so yes your budget is $2,500. Your original post was asking how to get people to start helping you plan and give you budgets, so that shows that they might not really want to/be able to contribute.

• edited December 2011
    ALSO you said "All decent photographers charge a minimum of 1500 (at least that ive seen), and they think thats ridiculous. I on the other hand think that its my wedding and if I'm paying for it then it is my business."

But you are wanting (& expecting) them to contribute so it is their business. You can't have it both ways.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:7d461ed8-82cc-4e48-af59-a4a377c96786">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well first God will provide. I found a photographer for the exact price me and my FI have prayed we would. As for the date, we are doing what God told us to. God gave us the date and we aren't going to just not listen. I recently just moved back in with my mother to save money before the wedding and we are currently looking at apartments. And yes, we know what the cost of living is. I moved out at 17 and I'm only back for the holidays. As for going over budget, its not going to happen. <strong>We don't do credit cards so if there isn't money in the bank its not being purchased.</strong> My FI would put his foot down. (he's big into managing money) <strong>Heck he's been making 250 dollar ring payments for the past 7 months plus he put down 1k in cash for it all while working a part time job.</strong> If we don't have the money for a ton of useless decorations then we won't have them. And our 2500 budget is just what me and my FI are contributing. That's not including both sets of parents and wealthy grandparents. On top of that we are only inviting 100 or so people, and half of those are out of state and won't be coming. We are starting pre-marital counseling in January and for right now we are reading through books on marriage and communication. My FI is currently going to school but I decided that after highschool I wanted to take a year off and just work. Some people may say 19 is to young to get married but it all depends on your maturity level. My future mother in law thinks we are way more mature than she was when her and her hubby got married, and they've been married 20 something years. It's all about how you were raised and your life experiences.

So, your FI did buy your ring on credit then?  Or is it on layaway or something and you don't have it yet?
  • edited December 2011
    Oy.

YGPM
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
  • edited December 2011
    Ok first off, if you say you have a problem with saying God will provide I don't see how you call yourself a  true Christian. We prayed for a long time about this date and this is the date that He spoken to each of us individually through the Holy Spirit. God will provide all of our needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Thats phil. 4:19) and Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4) The desire of my heart is to have an amazing wedding. And I will because God WILL provide. I did not HAVE to move back home; I chose to because I wanted to put extra money towards my wedding and spend time with my family over the holidays. Second thing, I do know what the cost of living is. I've done it. I pay rent, utilities, HEALTH INSURANCE, car insurance, phone bill, tuiton, food, clothing and much more all on my own. My parents and future in laws are contributing because they have told me numerous times. They have the money but have had the time to sit down and figure out a specific amount. My mom is also a recent single mother so yes I do know how hard life is; especially when unexpected things happen.  Yes my FI bought the ring on his credit. He's also in the process of buying another car. And yes i have the ring on my finger. He bought the entire set. Engagement ring, wedding band, and his band so they would all match.
  • edited December 2011
    Colleyville Center for wedding/reception has great prices (plus photography I think is included but I could be wrong). I would do it on a weekday/afternoon on Friday/Sunday. Dresses can be good-just have to shop a round...David's  Bridal on 99.00 sale for an example. Just have appatizers for food and punch (no alchy). Wal Mart for cakes...(they're really good!) Go with less expensive flowers (gerbers for an example). Keep it semi casual so you don't have to worry about lots of decor. Spend money on those who you know will come to cut costs for invites.

Just throwing out ideas for the whole wedding/reception for a small budget.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:c98110ac-6681-4ee8-a932-d55814d4af06">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok first off, if you say you have a problem with saying God will provide I don't see how you call yourself a  true Christian. We prayed for a long time about this date and this is the date that He spoken to each of us individually through the Holy Spirit. God will provide all of our needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Thats phil. 4:19) and Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4) The desire of my heart is to have an amazing wedding. And I will because God WILL provide. I did not HAVE to move back home; I chose to because I wanted to put extra money towards my wedding and spend time with my family over the holidays. Second thing, I do know what the cost of living is. I've done it. I pay rent, utilities, HEALTH INSURANCE, car insurance, phone bill, tuiton, food, clothing and much more all on my own. My parents and future in laws are contributing because they have told me numerous times. They have the money but have had the time to sit down and figure out a specific amount. My mom is also a recent single mother so yes I do know how hard life is; especially when unexpected things happen.   Yes my FI bought the ring on his credit. He's also in the process of buying another car. And yes i have the ring on my finger. He bought the entire set. Engagement ring, wedding band, and his band so they would all match.
    Posted by amber+mcnitt[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is crap. How can you sit there and tell me that I'm not a Christian because I'm RESPONSIBLE and don't expect for everyone to give me money for my wedding.</div><div>Being in school, or even taking off a year to work, is COMPLETELY different than being an adult after you finish school and paying for a house. COMPLETELY. You have NO IDEA how hard it is when you are really on your own and don't have the option to move back home.</div><div>Also, how can you say you wont go into debt when he put your ring on a CREDIT CARD.</div><div>
    </div><div>Anyways, I'm done trying to help you. You're original post:</div><div><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">"The problem is, I cant get anyone to actually start planning. I've asked both sets of parents for guest lists, budget, ect but to no avail. The only one actually being supportive of me trying to plan is my fiancee <span style="font-style:italic;" class="Apple-style-span">(<span style="font-weight:bold;" class="Apple-style-span">BTW</span> this should be fiance unless you're marrying a girl)</span>. How can I get both families to realize that the wedding is only 7 months away and we can't wait to do everything last minute?"</span></div><div><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">
    </span></div><div><span style="font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">Everyone has told you that if no one has offered to help pay for something specific yet, you are on your own. If you can't get that after so many people have told you then there is no more use discussing it. This is why so many people have problems with 18 year olds getting married.
    </span>
    </div>
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.

• edited December 2011
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:cda5c50b-616d-40c8-b36c-ec5f6817ee40">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

<div>I hope so, but I doubt it. I <3 that elephant, he's real cute.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Whatever. He didnt put the ring on a credit card thank you very much but he had enough credit to purchase it. And you cant tell me I'm not responsible because i pay all my bills BY MYSELF thank you very much
  • courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Sweetie. No need to question faith here...Angela is right; you came here asking for some advice about how to get your parents and FIL's more involved and we have tried to assist. I have strong faith, and I am a realist as well. God will ideed place people in your life that will be a blessing to your wedding (and budget), trust me. 
    Is there anyone in your congregation that does flowers? Photography? That could show to be a valuable resource. Ask if vendors can take installment payments after a deposit is made.
    Right now, you need to pray for the strength to talk to your parents and FIL's to talk openly about the wedding budget.
    I do have a few follow up questions/comments, with all that being said. (I've been having withdrawls, y'all)
    A) how you you have a guest list with no certain budget? The budget usually dictates the guest list. no?
    B) Credit vs. Cash. Obviously, your FI will not smack you for using credit if that is how he purchased all 3 rings. Hello, pot, meet kettle. This is not me advocating that you do this though.
    C) You said that your parents and FIL's are contributing because 'they told you numerous times.' You are running OUT of time if there are specific vendors/locations/etc that you want. I say this becuase my date is one week before yours, and I have run into issues already with vendor availability. 
    D) What HAS been completed? 
    E) How long have you been engaged? Would there be a problem moving it to June 2012 if the 25th is non-negotiable.

If you are an elephant (or greenturlelove Version 2.0) you owe us a drink. Sheesh.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:e01ca2db-cfdd-432c-8059-10c3ca511d63">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whatever. He didnt put the ring on a credit card thank you very much but he had enough credit to purchase it.

I think you are confused. He needed credit in order to finance it, hence this is on some sort of credit card or credit system, accruing interest. If he had paid cash, credit wouldn't have been a factor.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:0e3fdd84-3f7c-41ad-bc49-5b7d0d0aacb0">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE] If you are an elephant (or greenturlelove Version 2.0) you owe us a drink. Sheesh.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

I seriously thought you got bored enough to make up an AE, until the whole "God spoke to me" came into play. My jaw dropped at that point.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe in God too (although you will probably say differently) but I don't think God really means for us to sit around on our butts and wait for him to give us things. 

You may be mature enough to do all those things on your own but I am with the large majority here that think you should wait.  I teach 18 year olds and they are in no way ready to get married. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_family-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4408446-9906-436e-ab5f-488079b4b28aPost:bbaad03f-7e39-49b3-b660-58f5c7acee72">Re: Family and wedding planning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Family and wedding planning! : I seriously thought you got bored enough to make up an AE, until the whole<strong> "God spoke to me" came into play. My jaw dropped at that point.
    </strong>Posted by FebDallasBride[/QUOTE]
    Mine did too.

<div class="Discussion_PostQuote">Whatever. He didnt put the ring on a credit card thank you very much but he had enough credit to purchase it.
    Posted by amber+mcnitt

<strong>"I think you are confused. He needed credit in order to finance it, hence this is on some sort of credit card or credit system, accruing interest. If he had paid cash, credit wouldn't have been a factor. "
    </strong></div>That's what I'm thinking! So if you use no credit then how did your fiance put it on "credit" to pay for your rings? It makes no sense to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards