Iowa-Des Moines

Need help with ceremony ideas

Ok, I kind of did things the opposite way and it has bit me in the butt. I booked my reception site before my ceremony site and I can not get into my reception, The Botanical Dome, until 6pm. I wanted a catholic church wedding but the wedding would have to be early because of Sat night mass at churches. That would leave everyone stuck waiting around for about 3hours and I won't do that to them. Does anyone know of a Catholic church that would allow later weddings or is this not possible, and if not can I get some ideas on a ceremony site that allows around 230 people and is indoors and somewhat affordable? Thanks a ton for any advice!!!!!!

Re: Need help with ceremony ideas

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen later weddings downtown at the Church on 6th street. I can't remember the name, when I drive by on my way to work I'll post it.

As far as a ceremony site that is indoors and allows 230 people, hmmm are you thinking anywhere around Des Moines, or a specific side of town? THat will help narrow it down!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, ya that would be great to know that church, I wonder if it is Catholic. My fiance is Catholic and I was wanting to convert but classes have already started so I will have to wait unitl next September.It wouldn't have to be a catholic church though. Anywhere around DesMoines would be great. Thanks again!
    edited December 2011
    Alright! It's St. Ambrose Cathedral. Yes it's Catholic, there are a couple on that street, but it's the one that's closest to Grand Ave.
    Here's the Address and phone number:
    607 High Street
    Des Moines, IA 50309-2593
    (515) 288-7411

HTH

BTW I got to work about 645pm, so I'd bet you could have a later ceremony like you want to.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    That's awsome!!! Thanks a ton!! I am for sure going to find out more about this place. Thanks for your great help!!!
    edited December 2011
    Anytime, and If I think of some more I'll let you know.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I found out you have to be a member for a year there so that won't work. What do you think about changing my date to Friday? We could get married at St.Pius at 6 and then have the reception following right after. Do many people give gripe about Friday night weddings? Thanks.
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just FYI, you can still be married in a Catholic Church and convert later.  My brother's wedding was this way.  

But I would definitely be proactive and go early to talk to the church because even if you attend RCIA classes after you're married, there are often several meetings you will have to go through before you can even set the date for the ceremony.   

Also, many churches require that you are a member of the parish in order to get married there.  We're getting married at the Catholic Church in Altoona and this is the case.  Every church is different, however, there are often a lot of "hoops" to jump through before you can get married there.  I would jump on this ASAP!  :-)  Good Luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well duh, I just now saw that you had already contacted them & heard that you needed to be a member for a year or more...sorry about my long response that was totally unnecessary!  haha

Not all churches have that long of a time frame ... as far as membership requirements.  There are a few more in the area, not too far from downtown....the Basilica of St John is beautiful & right off University.  

The only thing that I would keep in mind about having your wedding & reception, is to allow some wiggle room....for pictures, for people to travel (albeit not far) to the reception site, etc.    

We haven't locked in our times for either ceremony or reception yet.  But I poked around on the boards and there are some people that have 3 hours between.  While I totally think that's excessive....2 hours might even be acceptable depending on pictures and whatnot...

What are you plans with your food/music?  Maybe you could do a cocktail hour with some inexpensive munchies for help bridge the gap in time?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the information!!! Well I got an email back from the lady at St.Ambrose and I guess you can get married there if you are not Catholic and you don't have to be a member.(I misread things on website) but one person has to be a baptized Catholic and you can not have ever been married before, which neither of those would be a problem for us but it is $1100 plus a bunch of other fees. We decided on St.Pius for Friday night instead, probably around 5 and then our reception is at 6. Ya, I didn't want to make people wait forever before our reception if it was on Saturday so switched to Friday and I didn't want time for them to have to wait for us. I figure we can take pics before and maybe a little after on the way to reception. At St.Pius you have to take a couple classes and get a sponser but I think the classes will be great in helping to build for the marriage and I do want to take classes to convert but it is too late this year so I will wait until after I am married. I know people on my side of the family have already griped about how long Catholic weddings are but I guess they just don't have to go then! Thanks for all the help! :)
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited December 2011
    Check out Unity Church in Des Moines!!!  We looked into the location in Ames - I think the one in Des Moines charges $200 and you don't have to be a member :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    edited December 2011
    Only problem for Friday weddings is that it asks a lot of your guests to leave work early to travel to your wedding, or even take the day off.
  • edited December 2011
    True, but I figure they have a long time to get it off and if they don't want to get it off than I guess that is their decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards