Just Engaged and Proposals

wording for engagement party favors??

Were having an engagement party in a couple weeks, its going to be Mexican themed because were getting married in Cabo San Lucas so we thought it would be fun to go with that theme. Its going to be casual and fun...we ordered a 6 ft burrito, quesadilla trays, chips and dips and margaritas. We got a pinata for fun and I found these boxes to put candy in that we can personalize, but theyre generally used for weddings so I dont know what the box should say?? should we make it like a save the date thing for our wedding in march 2011? or something like "thanks for sharing in our excitement"?

this in a link to the boxes...
http://wrapwithus.com/Products/Personalized-Wedding-Black-Takeout-Boxes__PER_3_2105_WEDDING-WP.aspx?LineItemId=57938b19-91e7-4a25-a763-3873e71eccf1

help please! :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wording for engagement party favors??

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:f065a304-c7ea-4c84-8e6e-6c3bac649069">wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Were having an engagement party in a couple weeks, its going to be Mexican themed because were getting married in Cabo San Lucas so we thought it would be fun to go with that theme. Its going to be casual and fun...we ordered a 6 ft burrito, quesadilla trays, chips and dips and margaritas. We got a pinata for fun and I found these boxes to put candy in that we can personalize, but theyre generally used for weddings so I dont know what the box should say?? should we make it like a save the date thing for our wedding in march 2011? or something like "thanks for sharing in our excitement"? this in a link to the boxes... <a href="http://wrapwithus.com/Products/Personalized-Wedding-Black-Takeout-Boxes__PER_3_2105_WEDDING-WP.aspx?LineItemId=57938b19-91e7-4a25-a763-3873e71eccf1" rel="nofollow">http://wrapwithus.com/Products/Personalized-Wedding-Black-Takeout-Boxes__PER_3_2105_WEDDING-WP.aspx?LineItemId=57938b19-91e7-4a25-a763-3873e71eccf1</a> help please! :)
    Posted by paiger639[/QUOTE]

First, I hope you're not throwing your own engagement party, cause that's a no-no.

Secondly, I've never even heard of giving favors for an engagement party. 
  • I did not know that they made 6ft long burritos and hope my fiance NEVER finds out about this! That is crazy!!! But sounds delicious!

Cute idea to theme your party to your wedding like that! I think you could really get away going either way with the boxes.  I like the save the date for march 2011 because its kind of also saying GET EXCITED!!

Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:2f140092-d6af-46bf-87e9-e48e0ec8713c">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to wording for engagement party favors?? : First, I hope you're not throwing your own engagement party, cause that's a no-no. Secondly, I've never even heard of giving favors for an engagement party. 
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

This.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • haha welllll faux pas or not when your family has no money to be able to throw you one, thats sort of how it happens. Its really casual and they arent favors really, theyre boxes for the candy from the pinata to go in (as opposed to plastic candy bags)...its a mexican theme since were getting married in Mexico and everything and were not accepting gifts so I dont see who would think of it as a bad thing even if its not traditional for us to throw it for ourselves,-I mean who doesnt like a chance to celebrate with family and friends? And its being held at my parents house so Im sure people will assume they paid anyways.
  • AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:17560515-c005-4d67-b4de-e32af3545b5b">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha welllll faux pas or not when your family has no money to be able to throw you one, thats sort of how it happens. Its really casual and they arent favors really, theyre boxes for the candy from the pinata to go in (as opposed to plastic candy bags)...its a mexican theme since were getting married in Mexico and everything and were not accepting gifts so I dont see who would think of it as a bad thing even if its not traditional for us to throw it for ourselves,-I mean who doesnt like a chance to celebrate with family and friends? And its being held at my parents house so Im sure people will assume they paid anyways.
    Posted by paiger639[/QUOTE]

You don't HAVE to have an engagement party.  A party is fine, but engagement party implies something completely different.  Good lord.  My family doesn't have any money either, and yet, our marriage seems to be just fine.

Also, everyone who is invited to your engagement party gets an invite to your wedding.  Remember that.  Spin it anyway you want, it's just uncouth.
  •  [QUOTE] My family doesn't have any money either, and yet, our marriage seems to be just fine.[/QUOTE]

Kay,,,? who said anything about our marriage being at stake because of money?? I know everyone who is invited to the party gets an invite to the wedding. Its just close family and friends, not a big bash.
  • Meaning, that just because they don't have the money to throw you a bash, doesn't mean you throw one for yourself.  You don't NEED to have an engagement party.  It's very AW-ish.
  • For our engagement party, instead of favors, we made raffle baskets (the baskets to make only were about 10-15, no higher than that) and we did different themes! like one was a garden basket, with a little bag of soil , gloves, potter, stepping stone and watering bucket... another was a margarita basket, two rita glasses, small bottle of tequilla , salt, mixer and we put that in a cooler....

you can raffle them all off (we made about 15 different baskets) the tickets were $2 for 1 ticket, $5 for 3 tickets or $10 for 7 tickets...

its a really fun way of your guests getting prizes,(it was a big hit at our party) and it helps you and you FI earn money! the money we recieved help us pay for our photographer and but money down on the reception!

ps, we also had a horseshoe tournament and washers tournament. gave the guests something to do! (we had that $ 5 per single or $10 per team)

good luck and have fun!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:99af6c49-12bc-402d-a795-f36bec90ac9b">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]For our engagement party, instead of favors, we made raffle baskets (the baskets to make only were about 10-15, no higher than that) and we did different themes! like one was a garden basket, with a little bag of soil , gloves, potter, stepping stone and watering bucket... another was a margarita basket, two rita glasses, small bottle of tequilla , salt, mixer and we put that in a cooler.... you can raffle them all off (we made about 15 different baskets) the tickets were $2 for 1 ticket, $5 for 3 tickets or $10 for 7 tickets... its a really fun way of your guests getting prizes,(it was a big hit at our party) and it helps you and you FI earn money! the money we recieved help us pay for our photographer and but money down on the reception! ps, we also had a horseshoe tournament and washers tournament. gave the guests something to do! (we had that $ 5 per single or $10 per team) good luck and have fun!!!
    Posted by kmarkey06[/QUOTE]

I have no words.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:17560515-c005-4d67-b4de-e32af3545b5b">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha welllll faux pas or not when your family has no money to be able to throw you one, thats sort of how it happens. Posted by paiger639[/QUOTE]
    No, that's not how it happens. If they can't afford to throw you an engagement party, don't have one. Pretty simple, no?
  • What's wrong with a raffle, Bec? We did that at our engagement party. We raffled off the plates and silverware. The restaurant where we held it was kind of pissed at the end of the night, but whatever, it paid for my balloon arch, so they can suck it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:99af6c49-12bc-402d-a795-f36bec90ac9b">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]For our engagement party, instead of favors, we made raffle baskets (the baskets to make only were about 10-15, no higher than that) and we did different themes! like one was a garden basket, with a little bag of soil , gloves, potter, stepping stone and watering bucket... another was a margarita basket, two rita glasses, small bottle of tequilla , salt, mixer and we put that in a cooler.... you can raffle them all off (we made about 15 different baskets) the tickets were $2 for 1 ticket, $5 for 3 tickets or $10 for 7 tickets... its a really fun way of your guests getting prizes,(it was a big hit at our party) and it helps you and you FI earn money! the money we recieved help us pay for our photographer and but money down on the reception! ps, we also had a horseshoe tournament and washers tournament. gave the guests something to do! (we had that $ 5 per single or $10 per team) good luck and have fun!!!
    Our school's PTA just had a Bingo night where the prizes were gift baskets like this. They made over $7K on it (for scholarships, no less). What a GREAT idea! Turn your engagement into a charity event! Invite your friends, bilk them for all you can, because funding your wedding is SUCH a worthy cause.
  • "Helps you and FI earn money"??? WTF?  This is such a ridiculous, tacky idea.  Agree with Bed - No words.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:99af6c49-12bc-402d-a795-f36bec90ac9b">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:

This isn't real.  I refuse to believe someone actually did this. 
  • Threadjack - AlexiaANDRobert, my favorite thing about your sig pic is the person standing to the left of you with his hands on his hips and a great smile on his face.

P.S. You two are cute too =]

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • haha I also noticed that guy! Hilarious! He is ready to get in on the dance! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_wording-engagement-party-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:54b570a9-e5eb-4f11-9906-c0a2f28c36e4Post:99af6c49-12bc-402d-a795-f36bec90ac9b">Re: wording for engagement party favors??</a>:
    [QUOTE]For our engagement party, instead of favors, we made raffle baskets  [/QUOTE]

Charging your guests tickets to win a basket is not a favor.

jeeez. i get a busy week and can't be on for 2 days and i come back to people recommending engagement party raffles to pay for weddings?

Un-fuucking-believable. How incredible Klassy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • LOL - as more posts like this appear I'm realizing this board is becoming a guilty pleasure for me!

• What happened to being supportive of our fellow brides-to-be? I thought these posts were supposed to offer help and support... instead everyone is cursing at each other! Let's remember that people are different. And if we want to hold ourselves upto our own standards of "class" then we should bite our tongues if we have nothing nice to say. Whatever we plan for our weddings... if it makes us happy (and our groom, families, and friends not too nuts) then go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards