New York-Upstate

Looking for a Venue - Albany NY Area

My fiance and I are in the beginning stage of wedding planning.  We currently live in Michigan, but we are from the Albany, NY area and would like to get married there.  We are looking for venue recommendations.  We are thinking of having our wedding Septermber/October 2013.  We are thinking that our guest list is going to total around 200 people.  We'd like to spend around $5,000 on the venue and food, but that's not a set limit.  If anyone could make some recommendations that would be great!

Re: Looking for a Venue - Albany NY Area

• Venue and food for 200 people for $5000?  
  • How fancy do you want to get? Think about a no alcohol wedding at a church hall and see about a caterer who can provide a buffet for $40 a person. The hall and buffet will still run you around $9000. What about inviting fewer guests and having a two hour dinner instead of a four hour reception? Wedding brunches have become popular because they are affordable, and they are fun. Or get married in your backyard, use a caterer for some of the food, and have friends and family help with the rest of the food. Backyard weddings are more relaxed so people often enjoy themselves much more.
  • Sorry for the confusion.  We were orginally thinking outside caterer, so we wanted to spend $5,000 on the venue itself.  However, we are realizing that having a place with catering included is going to be alot easier.  We are looking to spend no more than $100 per person for food an venue.  Our current options are The Desmond, Franklin Plaza, Mohawk River Country Club and The Georgian (in Lake George).  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-upstate_looking-for-a-venue-albany-ny-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:124Discussion:77ad3b9e-1577-411d-b717-48488f9c4871Post:65003747-8ca3-44d9-869e-b43c756cf07a">Re: Looking for a Venue - Albany NY Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry for the confusion.  We were orginally thinking outside caterer, so we wanted to spend $5,000 on the venue itself.  However, we are realizing that having a place with catering included is going to be alot easier.  We are looking to spend no more than $100 per person for food an venue.  Our current options are The Desmond, Franklin Plaza, Mohawk River Country Club and The Georgian (in Lake George).  
    Posted by subola87[/QUOTE]

<div>Okay, that sounds better!</div><div>
    </div><div>I haven't been to weddings at any of those places, but I know many people who have been to them at Franklin Plaza and say it is really nice.  Same with the Desmond.</div>
  • buckley - thanks for the response.  we are actually going out to albany next week to look at venues.  we have a final list of 6 that we will be visiting and hope to make a decision between them.  our final list is:

• the desmond
    • franklin plaza
    • Century house
    • Longfellows Inn
    • The Georgian
    • Mohawk River Country Club

• I got married at Franklin Plaza 3 weeks ago. I cn't say enough good things about them! They take care of everything. Plus they will work with you to make sure you get your dream day without breaking the bank. You get a waiter dedicated to you. This guy held my flowers, helped carry my train, and even brought food and drinks out into the alley for H and I while we were taking pictures. My family and friends had a great time. They also packaged up the leftover cocktail hour food and cake and brought it to the hotel for us to enjoy later, most places said they wouldn't do that. If you have any other questions about them feel free to ask!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What did you end up choosing?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-upstate_looking-for-a-venue-albany-ny-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:124Discussion:77ad3b9e-1577-411d-b717-48488f9c4871Post:13709744-fc76-4a3d-847e-6c2028bb91ff">Re: Looking for a Venue - Albany NY Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got married at Franklin Plaza 3 weeks ago. I cn't say enough good things about them! They take care of everything. Plus they will work with you to make sure you get your dream day without breaking the bank. You get a waiter dedicated to you. This guy held my flowers, helped carry my train, and even brought food and drinks out into the alley for H and I while we were taking pictures. My family and friends had a great time. They also packaged up the leftover cocktail hour food and cake and brought it to the hotel for us to enjoy later, most places said they wouldn't do that. If you have any other questions about them feel free to ask!
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]
  • I went with the Franklin Plaza!  We are getting married there September 13, 2013!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards