Not Engaged Yet

bah

So, I'm a planner.  (this isn't one of those "I have my whole wedding planned" post...stay tuned) And I'm also a freakin psycho about paying off my credit card bill EVERY month.

But my credit limit sucks.  It's a whole $1000.  Awesome.

So I went to the bank today to see if I could up it at all...and well, no, apparently I am carrying a $1052 balance.

FML.  I've never gone over the limit in my entire life until like yesterday. 

This is a total post and run, but I just want to say...I hate credit.  And now I apparently have to wait at least six months of being "good" with my card.
I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton

Re: bah

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a clarifying question, only because I've experienced this before  when talking about credit cards with people.

When you say pay off your credit card bill every month are you talking about paying the minimum required every month or are you talking about paying off the entire bill and bringing the balance to 0 every month?

if it is the first, I can see them being more hesitant to riase your limit.

If it is the second, it doesn't make much sense to me why they wouldn't. My credit card company continually wants to raise mine even when I'm not spending anywhere near my current limit.

Last point, did they charge you a fee for going over your limit? I'm surprised that they would give a limit and not enforce it.

All that being said, credit cards have tons of fine print and every card is different. Is there special criteria needed to raise your limit?
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't even get a credit card, because of the whole financial crisis. What doesn't make sense is why my bank feels the need to mock me by sending me all these emails/mailings encouraging me to apply for one. Every time I do it, I get rejected. Apparently, it's because I've never had a credit card/loans, so I don't have a credit history. I was silly and didn't get a card when they were handing them out like candy, now it sucks trying to get one. My credit limit is $0 if it makes you feel better. I hate credit too.
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Same question as Hazel. If you pay OFF your entire balance every month, you are establishing a good credit history. But you probably will be charged an over-the-limit fee. (Although I'm not sure what the new laws allow them to do.)

First and most important - pay the balance down below the limit! Quickly. With luck, it will be before your card reports to the credit agencies.

Then, call your credit card company, explain that you've never gone over your limit before and ask them to a) refund the over-the-limit fee and b) remove any negative posts to the credit agency (in case they already reported it). It IS possible for companies to remove bad reports in some cases. It just takes perseverance from the consumer.

PS What does "planner" have to do with this? As in, you "plan" to manage your finances but this time it got past you? Or did I miss something?
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    edited December 2011
    Credit does suck. When I was young and foolish, and had my first credit card, I messed up a little, and still have a balance on that old Chase card. I did EVERYTHING I could to make it better as soon as possible, but ever since, then, Chase reps have been absolute jerks to me over the phone. I think there is seriously a note on my account that says "be a ginormous bitch to this customer! She sucks!".
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sparkles, have you even tried to get one through your bank? That's how I got my first card. They're more likely to give you one if all your money is already with them.

And if they won't, I highly recommend joining a credit union. They tend to be a lot more flexible than the big major banks.
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    edited December 2011
    Leia- Yes, that is where I have applied each time. They are one of the bigger banks. I keep all of my money with them and I've never once overdrawn my account. I just found out they have a student credit card. I'm not sure why they never told me this before. I'm going to try applying for that. I've already graduated, but I'm still taking classes. Hopefully it works.  If not I will try a credit union, which is something I hadn't considered. Thanks for the tip!
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the rules for credit cards are different in the US than Canada, Iknow my BF has complained about his US credit card before.

That being said, the only reason I have good credit at all is that my parents insisted that I get a credit card as a student because it was the easiest time to get one.
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    To clarify, ya know three days later, I mean pay off the entire balance.  I'm psycho like that :)  And no, no fee yet, so it's like I just barely went over.  It's lame.  I'll be better from now on (stupid tires)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards