North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham

Seamstresses?

Does anyone know if there are any seamstresses in the Raleigh-Durham area that can create a wedding dress at a reasonable price?  I saw a dress I adored recently, but the price was too far out of my range.  I haven't hit up anywhere like David's Bridal yet to see if there is a similar yet cheaper version, but my mother suggested perhaps getting a dress maker to create a dress for me.  I'd never thought of that, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew of anyone locally who could do that for me at a decent price (I'd say $1500 and below would be my mother's highest price point).  Thanks!

Re: Seamstresses?

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that Olga makes dresses, she would need lots of notice, and it looks like you've got some time.

She's a board favorite for alterations and books quickly.  Her number is 919-462-9472 and she's in Cary. 
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Olga Olga Olga! :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone loves Olga, she did a great job with my alterations and was very reasonable.  She is very honest and reliable, can't say enough good things about this lady.  As PirateGal said though, she books up very quickly and stays very busy, for a job that large you should call her right away.
  • browncastlebrowncastle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you find a good seamstress?
  • edited December 2011

I've never been to Olga myself, though I've heard great things about her and like all of these other ladies have said, you should do great going with her.

As a side note though, have you tried Burlington Bridal mart? I'm asking because I loved some expensive dresses that were three times my budget (I wanted to stay around 700-800, absolute max 1000), and was definitely not satisfied with the selection at Davids. I tried Bridal Mart on the recommendation from friends of mine from Burlington whose sisters got their dresses there. I was able to find a dress that all of my friends thought were in the $4000, but I paid under 1000. They are a bit more self serve (this is not kleinfelds, do not expect champagne and a personal consult), but I actually prefered that my mother, sister (maid of honor) and I could browse at our leisure. When we did need help consultants were able to promptly provide us w/ clips and veils. I ordered my dress and it came in within a few days - I'm going to pick it up next weekend, so I can't vouch for the final product just yet. Everyone states it's crazy busy on Saturdays but we went at lunch time (11ish) when the place started to clear out and had no problems. I actually found 3 dresses that I loved within the first hour or so of trying them on and it was a hard decision to whittle it down. I just thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion in case you wanted to safe on the dress budget and still get something steller.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards