Ohio-Cincinnati

Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, St. Martin, Kauai?

Posted this on the honeymoon board as well.....

We have begun to look at honeymoon locations for next October.  These are some of the places we are looking into - each with their own highlights.  Anyone been to either of these places? 

Re: Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, St. Martin, Kauai?

• TMarieInOHTMarieInOH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to St. Maarteen. Very beautiful, plus french and dutch sides offer different things. If you are looking at St. Maarteen, try St. Thomas or St. Johns. Both have gorgeous beaches and plenty of activities.

I would think twice of the Dominican Republic. My cousin was going to study there for six months and found that it wasn't as safe as he would have liked.

If you are staying on the islands, I would consider an all inclusive, in Dominican or Costa Rica.
  • edited December 2011
    We have been to Dominican Republic and St. Maartin. At least between those two I def suggest St. Maartin. It's beautiful. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these places though. I know there are some cruise lines that will do an Eastern/Southern Caribbean itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maartin, St. John's, etc. and it's a good trip). Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I just got back from the Dominican on Thursday and I don't think I would recommend it for a honeymoon.  We never felt unsafe (but we never left the resort) it was just crowded and right now isn't even their busy season.  I've heard great things about Costa Rica!
  • jerobe4jerobe4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and did 5 days in Ohua and a week in Kauai. We loved Kauai! It is so beautiful and peaceful. The hotels are not on top of each other. In fact I don't think any hotels are even right next to each other. We stayed at the Marriott Kauai resort and just loved it. It was really nice and had a great pool, restaurants and beach area. THe whole beach belongs to the resort which was nice. If you go you must rent a car though. THere is not public transportation and besides a few restaurants and shops you will want to drive to other places. The Na'Pali coastline cruises are beautiful. A must do if you go. We also did some hiking, snorkeling, and ziplining. All things I would recommend. We also did a beachside massage on a private part of the island where no one was around which was wonderful! I would highly recommend Kauai if you are looking for a relaxing vacation. If you want lots of restaurants and shopping and nightlife then don't go there.

Baby Brady coming June 18, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    Costa Rica is lovely and the cost is very reasonable, HOWEVER, it is terribly UN-PC by our standards. Their treatment of animals is apalling (they actually had an art exhibit wherein the 'art' was watching a dog starve to death...no joke, I can send you the website).  FI and I could NOT contribute our hard earned money to a place like that. Unfortunately the country itself is beautiful and, as stated, reasonably priced. I'd recomment Hawaii - at least you'd be putting your money back into the American economy and god knows we need it.
  • hunleyweddinghunleywedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It looks as if we are leaning heavily towards Hawaii - Maui and Kauai.  We will probably try to take a week and a half so we can have time on both islands. 

Did anyone use an actual travel agent or did you book it yourself?  My fiance is a AAA member, so we thought about touching base with one of their travel agents. 
  • edited December 2011
    Sahypb, I like the way you think.  Unfortunately, I have my heart set on Costa Rica  :-(  We are planning on having our wedding there along with a mini honeymoon and then taking a cruise out of Panama.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards