Not Engaged Yet

Re: interesting: portion sizes 20 years ago vs. today

• elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's pretty insane. That means for a regular meal of a burger, fries, and a pop/soda that people usually get at fast food places, it's now 1450 calories instead of the 628 it used to be.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ...and free refills nowadays increases that number even more.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    It's no wonder diabetes and obesity have more than doubled....
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    plus, think about the quality of the food 20 years ago vs. now...  so many more hormones, preservatives, additives, GMO foods, etc...  you're right Nursey, it's no wonder.
  • edited December 2011

Rampaging bears are the answer to all of our cultural missteps
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It can be really hard to try and re-program your brain to recognize what an appropriate portion size is for you.

I have to remind myself constantly that I need to cook more food for my H than for myself when we're at home, and when we're out, I have to remind myself that while HE might be able to eat the entire portion and remain within a reasonable calorie range, I cannot.

Le sigh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    oh desert, I know exactly what you mean.  DH has been helping out in the kitchen, and he always serves me "his" portion size instead of mine, not realizing it.  5 lbs later, we finally had a talk about it and we're working on eyeing portion sizes.  I usually have to measure my portion size the first couple times I cook something new, and then I can eyeball it.  it's tough sometimes!
  • edited December 2011
    that's just sad. makes me wish i lived back when coz it'd prob be a lot easier to be thinner...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I had the problem where I would divide what I cooked into two equal portions. Considering FI is six inches taller and 70lbs heaver than me, that makes no sense.

I tend to eat too much because I have an irrational fear of being hungry.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_interesting-portion-sizes-20-years-ago-vs-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:39b33e06-9164-4b77-98ad-c81a1a4b0093Post:5d3ce2e9-158e-45ef-8796-9aef3f8f5bf3">Re: interesting: portion sizes 20 years ago vs. today</a>:
    [QUOTE]It can be really hard to try and re-program your brain to recognize what an appropriate portion size is for you. I have to remind myself constantly that I need to cook more food for my H than for myself when we're at home, and when we're out, I have to remind myself that while HE might be able to eat the entire portion and remain within a reasonable calorie range, I cannot. Le sigh.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

ooooh I know what you mean. FI is 9 inches taller than me and has run half marathon and even a full. I have to remind myself that my metabolism is NOT  that of a runner. It doesn't help that I was brainwashed into the clean-plate-club at a young age. Ugh!
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_interesting-portion-sizes-20-years-ago-vs-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:39b33e06-9164-4b77-98ad-c81a1a4b0093Post:8e38d471-bf66-4694-a48b-da880a139dd4">Re: interesting: portion sizes 20 years ago vs. today</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the problem where I would divide what I cooked into two equal portions. Considering FI is six inches taller and 70lbs heaver than me, that makes no sense. I tend to eat too much because I have an irrational fear of being hungry.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

leia, I have this same fear too!  it makes no sense to me, as I've never been really, extremely hungry...  but I'm so afraid that I will be.  I thought I was the only one...  no one has ever understood that before!
  • misikesmisikes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_interesting-portion-sizes-20-years-ago-vs-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:39b33e06-9164-4b77-98ad-c81a1a4b0093Post:3e945ff2-6a77-46b9-8a7f-7cb70af2a06e">Re: interesting: portion sizes 20 years ago vs. today</a>:
    [QUOTE]He served it and told my mom and me that we had "lady portions." It was cute. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Haha, that sounds adorable. I'll have to use that term in the future.

Also, I'm really craving a cheeseburger, fries, and a soda right now. ʘ_o

<strong>ETA: </strong>I just bought a Big Jack combo. -sigh-
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. No offense to any of you, but I HATE eating in the United States. Portions aren't anywhere near the size in Canada as they are in the US. For example, even our fast food resturants that are common in both countries don't have the same portion sizes.

My bigger issue is that I was always encouraged to finish my meal, and get a guilt complex when portion sizes are so big.
  • snorwo3snorwo3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_interesting-portion-sizes-20-years-ago-vs-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:39b33e06-9164-4b77-98ad-c81a1a4b0093Post:2fbdf29a-41b0-4916-921e-8ced43bf0474">Re: interesting: portion sizes 20 years ago vs. today</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. No offense to any of you, but I HATE eating in the United States. Portions aren't anywhere near the size in Canada as they are in the US. For example, even our fast food resturants that are common in both countries don't have the same portion sizes. My bigger issue is that I was always encouraged to finish my meal, and get a guilt complex when portion sizes are so big.
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

<div>I actually agree with you. I cannot finish a meal in any restaurant I've ever been to. Happy plates don't happen for this girl. I eat a few bites and I'm ready for the to-go box. I wish more places offered "small plates" :/</div><div>
    </div><div>At the restaurant I work at, I order off the kid's menu every time.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards