Wedding Woes

Mothers, help me out on this.

You're in a family restaurant, and you have two kids with you.  One is running laps around the table and the other is younger and shrieking (not crying or upset, just that ear-splitting scream kids sometimes do).  Is this unaviodable kid behavior that should be accepted in a family restaurant, or bad parenting?

I'm trying to get a handle on how much kid-ness is appropriate for mixed-age public, and why that definition seems to have changed from when I was younger.

Re: Mothers, help me out on this.

• edited December 2011
    What happened to the days when you got "the look" and if you kept it up, you got "the visit to the bathroom."

I rarely made a visit to the bathroom because the look did it for me. I knew my mom was crazy, yo.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on how "family" the restaurant is.  I'd let my kid run around at Chuck E Cheese's but not Applebee's.  The shrieking is annoying.  If my kid did it once and twice that's not a big deal.  If he kept doing it we'd go outside. 
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:1f83d015-1b50-4329-9b2b-3eaac318e50f">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What happened to the days when you got "the look" and if you kept it up, you got "the visit to the bathroom." I rarely made a visit to the bathroom because the look did it for me. I knew my mom was crazy, yo.
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto, and I employ these methods with DD.</div>
    imageimage
  • pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I never expected my kids, or other people's kids to be silent in a resturant.  BUT running around in not acceptable, they stayed in their seats and if they got loud and couldn't be comforted we took them outside within a few minutes.
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What do you mean by not silent?  Do you mean talking but probably louder than adults because that's how kids are, or do you mean out and out shrieking?
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The laser eyes from mom would stop me in my tracks.  And the picking up and placing firmly in the chair as well.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Bad parenting. I wouldn't let Bacon run anywhere, not even CEC. When we're eating, we're sitting at the table and having conversation. End of story. 

We trained her not to shriek, too, because she got punished for it. (I mean, we said a stern "No!" every time, and took her out of places. We weren't putting the smack down on a one-year-old.) Neither of us can stand that noise. 

I don't know why the standards seem to have changed so much. I just know that I get compliments on my kid every time we go out. And yes, I like to brag about it. ;) 
  • thatgrrrrlthatgrrrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have, more than once, told M not to be "that kid" when she's let out an ear piercer. She shuts up and goes back to quiet babbling.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:2211db84-e25b-46ed-b21c-3602c673bafa">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bad parenting. I wouldn't let Bacon run anywhere, not even CEC. When we're eating, we're sitting at the table and having conversation. End of story.  We trained her not to shriek, too, because she got punished for it. (I mean, we said a stern "No!" every time, and took her out of places. We weren't putting the smack down on a one-year-old.) Neither of us can stand that noise.  I don't know why the standards seem to have changed so much. I just know that I get compliments on my kid every time we go out. And yes, I like to brag about it. ;) 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, I wouldn't allow running around the eating area.  But the playground area is ok.  Maybe not flat out running, but being hyper, silly and loud is ok at the playground. Of course, you can't run over other people, etc.  
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shrieking is not normal.  running around is not normal.  stop eating at places with aholes or ask to have your table moved or your meals to go.

btw, i like the idea of the kuuses sitting down for dinner at chuck e. cheeses.  was it date night?
  • PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I will say this about The Boy, he does not realize how loud he is. So we do tell him that he needs to talk quieter. But as for running around and screaming, no. He gets told no and that his bottom remains in the highchair/seat. If he does it again, we go outside.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I thnk under a certain age, shrieks aren't completely  train-able.
    But, of course, that's why you are bigger than the kid and can remove them if they don't respond to the "no, Buffy.  Here's a toy, play quietly" sort of thing.

Running is not acceptable unless it's chuck-e-cheese.
  • edited December 2011
    I think everyone knows that little kids can get loud, but parents need to check it. I at least want to see you making an effort to keep the kid quiet.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:2211db84-e25b-46ed-b21c-3602c673bafa">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bad parenting. I wouldn't let Bacon run anywhere, not even CEC. When we're eating, we're sitting at the table and having conversation. End of story.  We trained her not to shriek, too, because she got punished for it. (I mean, we said a stern "No!" every time, and took her out of places. We weren't putting the smack down on a one-year-old.) Neither of us can stand that noise.  I don't know why the standards seem to have changed so much. I just know that I get compliments on my kid every time we go out. And yes, I like to brag about it. ;) 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, I wouldn't allow running around the eating area.  But the playground area is ok.  Maybe not flat out running, but being hyper, silly and loud is ok at the playground. Of course, you can't run over other people, etc.  
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:193ae917-1b60-46f4-b84b-c422939a4504">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]shrieking is not normal.  running around is not normal.  stop eating at places with aholes or ask to have your table moved or your meals to go. btw, i like the idea of the kuuses sitting down for dinner at chuck e. cheeses.  was it date night?
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

This was a birthday dinner for Mr. Kuus's uncle, so he chose the restaurant.  Usually we're safe from this sort of thing, since we eat dinner at 9ish and not usually in family places.  Of course, this family with the running and shrieking was there until after 10:30 on a school night, so sometimes there's no avoiding it. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:193ae917-1b60-46f4-b84b-c422939a4504">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]shrieking is not normal.  running around is not normal.  stop eating at places with aholes or ask to have your table moved or your meals to go. <strong>btw, i like the idea of the kuuses sitting down for dinner at chuck e. cheeses.  was it date night?</strong>
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

You never know. They might like the salad bar.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    oh, so he got free tokens on his birthday and who doesn't love a little skeeball when it's on chuck's dime?

btw, baby mo's daycare deals with shriekers as young as a 8 months.  it's even more important to deal with the young shriekers so it doesn't become a habit and so it doesn't wake the other babies who are napping.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:d6aad7ae-7013-4957-9ef4-a1ad81e702fc">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mothers, help me out on this. : *sigh* This was a birthday dinner for Mr. Kuus's uncle, so he chose the restaurant.  Usually we're safe from this sort of thing, since we eat dinner at 9ish and not usually in family places.  <strong>Of course, this family with the running and shrieking was there until after 10:30 on a school night, so sometimes there's no avoiding it. </strong>
    Posted by ReturnOfKuus[/QUOTE]

There's no wonder the kids were being howler monkey's.  It was well past bedtime and they were overtired.   What is wrong with people?!
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:1f83d015-1b50-4329-9b2b-3eaac318e50f">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What happened to the days when you got "the look" and if you kept it up, you got "the visit to the bathroom." I rarely made a visit to the bathroom because the look did it for me. I knew my mom was crazy, yo.
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

exactly this. even my mom was commenting to me the other day that she doesn't get kids/parents today because my sister and i were always pretty well behaved in public. i was like, "yeah, because we knew the consequences if we weren't."

none of what you said is acceptable in a restaurant. any restaurant. the kids need to have their butts in seats, eat their food, talk in "indoor voices" and be damn happy that their parents took them out for dinner. the BS you described will not be tolerated from Wolverine.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    Charles E. Fromage has some of the CHEAPEST beer by the pitcher you can buy.

of course, Gameworks means you can play skeeball w/o the screaming kids, just w/ the drunk creeper.
  • PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Also, I have to wonder if the elbow pinch is dead. If we misbehaved we got the look. But sometimes we got the elbow pinch and that meant "STFU and when we get to a place where I won't be accused of abuse I will be letting you have it if you don't stop".
  • edited December 2011
    I love skeeball.
  • edited December 2011
    Meg, I would get the pinch in church for playing or laughing. Talk about pain.
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is just not enough parental fear and shame these days.
    imageimage
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't allow A to behave like a howler monkey in public, and I don't expect other children to as well. I've left a restaurant without eating my meal because of him shrieking like an animal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:b4f9e377-71b7-4a08-8230-ffda2d760294">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is just not enough parental fear and shame these days.
    Posted by nicoleg1982[/QUOTE]

Word. When my nephew called my sister a bitch and she did nothing, a part of me died. It was all I could do not to smack his teeth out of his face.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    Not normal or acceptable behavior. There was a time when I had 5 nieces and a nephew under the age of 8.  We had several family celebrations happening that we wanted to go out to dinner for.  We found places with separate rooms in case the kids were acting up.  I don't recall them acting out though.
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on the age of the kid, the shrieking might be unavoidable. I feel like it's an infant form of laughter. But once they understand the word no that sht should stop. Running is never acceptable.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    Does Chuck E Cheese really have a salad bar?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mothers-out-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:80011e34-0dbd-4084-801c-1230837279d0Post:3af65e9f-5d96-4c03-8f5e-b43094e5f8d7">Re: Mothers, help me out on this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does Chuck E Cheese really have a salad bar?
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]
    Yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards