Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Ideal Hair Length

I've been growing my hair for my wedding (5/18), but it's driving me nuts. I can't do anything with it and it's heavy. How short can I cut my hair and still be able to put it up in May? I know it depends on what I want to do (I'm not sure yet...), but just in general, what is the ideal length for an updo.

Re: Ideal Hair Length

• vbjoannavbjoanna member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I don't know about the ideal length for an updo, but you can do cool things with short hair, too. Sounds like your hair may be heavier than mine, but I kept mine short (chin-length layered bob) for the wedding, and felt like me! I never take the time to curl it or do anything with it, really, so it still was "fancy". Edited to add -- it's a little hard to see, but we just used a spiral curling iron in the front and with the back layers. I've added another pic, but it was late into the night, so the curls have fallen a bit.

• I grew my hair out for a year to try and have a big bun.
    I wish I'd just bought hair extensions.
  • No such thing as ideal length unless you're talking about a very specific hair style. Figure out what hairstyle you want and then consult with a stylist.
  • Leenie10Leenie10 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012

OP I feel your pain. I've been letting mine grow for months and it makes me crazy. I have about 6 weeks to go and will probably cut it after my honeymoon : )

For what it's worth, I always carry elastics and a large barrette with me in case my hair gets really unmanageable during my work day...

If you have a regular hairdresser, I would speak with that person about how long your hair would need to be in order to do something that you would want to do with it on your wedding day and then go from there. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MedStudent13MedStudent13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I'm still not sure what I want to do with my hair for my wedding in June, so I'm just growing it out so that I can decide later (yay procrastination!). I also have bangs so it's extra annoying right now
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the other ladies--you may want to consult your stylist if you have a particular updo in mind.  However in general, I'd say a good rule of thumb for an updo is to at least have it shoulder length.  I am trying to grow out my hair as well and it's a pain b/c my hair is curly and I find if you don't cut it often enough and condition constantly it doesn't look nice--it becomes very high maintenance when it's long (especially when you want to blow it out!) Sigh...The things we do to get ready for our wedding! Lol
  • Oh and if your hair is heavy at this length, why not have your stylist add long layers? That usually takes the heaviness out of my curly hair (even mid length or short) and it does the same for thick straight or wavy hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards