African American Weddings

Is it Worth It....Change in Venue (Sry Kinda Long)

Need your advice Ladies

I have put down our deposit (3000) since 2008, since we were originally planning an August 2009 Wedding. They allowed us to change the date to 2010, however we have to pay for 250 ppl. Which back then sounded GREAT, however right now we will not have that many ppl in attendance. Also, the food was AWFUL they didn't have a tasting for us to try so when we did taste it after the deposit was down, we realized we HATED the food...It was very very bad, but we were willing to deal with it.

Now to 2009...

I came across the Holiday Inn which package offers us everything and more. We would essentially lose the 3000 we put down but save at least 6000 later on.

We would get a similar package, but have a wedding Planner, Cake, Floral Centerpieces, etc. and they will set it up as pictured below. The 1st place we would have had to order all  the Linen bc they only had white.

Any suggestions. Sorry so Long

Re: Is it Worth It....Change in Venue (Sry Kinda Long)

• edited December 2011
    Would the first place allow you to bring in your own caterers and just charge you for the site? If so, you may be able to put the deposit toward the site fee and get a caterer for the food. I don't want you to lose the money that you already put down but if the Holiday Inn is where you like then go for it. Do what makes you and your FI feel comfortable. See if the Holiday Inn will let you sit for a tasting before your deposit if you do decide to switch places. I hope everything works out because food is important. Goodluck!
    Lovin Kimmie
  • kgsmiles3kgsmiles3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like your getting more for your money if you change the site. $300 is a lot of money to loose, but saving $6000 pretty much makes up for it. I personally would change it, but the final say is yours. Hope that helps. Laughing
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • edited December 2011
    $3K no matter how you cut it, is a but to waste. I don't know, but I would find out as much before you cancel with the original people. If you can't do a tasting, maybe ask on your local board or other website for brides to find someone who has been there before.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    Tough decision. I def think you should try to do a tasting at the new location first. Also, try to speak to your current venue about the issues with the food, most venues are big on pleasing their clients needs regarding food, some chefs will do it until they get it right!
  • edited December 2011
    Can you use that venue for something else? Like bridal shower or rehearsal dinner, so 3k won't be wasted.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh its $3000... I thought it was $300... *thinking* yeah in that case I would probably stick with my first choice. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Honestly, I would do whatever it takes to make the first venue work. It's hard to swallow losing $3k. That could have been money you could have put toward so many other things. But since you're locked in, talk to the venue and like the pp's said see if you could either substitute your reception event for another wedding related one or if they make food to your liking. Remember, you invested $3k into them so you have the right to DEMAND they do things the way YOU want (channel your inner bridezilla!!)

But, if you can afford to lose that money and really can't work with them, then move on! I just think they will win $3k from you for doing nothing, essentially. 

• kgsmiles3kgsmiles3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies for your words.

After we setup a mtg. with the new venue re: food tasting and money we will than go back to the originial venue and see what they are willing to do. Maybe we can use it for the Bridal Shower or ask to have the food catered.

If we cannot get our money back, I know they may let us use it for another event.

I'll keep you posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards