Snarky Brides

Cake Brainstorm!

We're having cakes for our centerpieces on the table, we're doing a different flavor for every table.  We have a list of standard flavors/fillings/icings that we can mix up, but our baker said she can do anything we want.

I want to hear your favorite cake flavors.  We're having between 200 and 250 guests, so that means between 20 and 25 cake flavors.  Halp!

For the record, our cake is going to be red velvet.

Re: Cake Brainstorm!

• I'd suggest picking a few flavors and going with those, rather than potentially going with crazy flavors just to make them all different.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Our cake will be white chocolate with cookies n cream filling....Like a big oreo, mmm :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:be480d24-7257-45f6-b11c-dd77e6bdbcce">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd suggest picking a few flavors and going with those, rather than potentially going with crazy flavors just to make them all different.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I would stick with the standards and save the creativity for how they are decorated.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Betrothed is wise.
    Photobucket
  • What about cookie dough cake? Not sure if that's a real thing, but I would eat the hell out of it if it was and I would definitely piss myself with joy if I got to eat said cake at a wedding.
  • If you decide to still do all different cakes-how about "cakes" like strawberry shortCAKE, blueberry shortCAKE, cupCAKES, ect...play on the "Cake"..if you didn't get what I was trying to say! :)
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I had my cake tasting I had the baker make me a chocolate/orange cake with buttercream frosting and chocolate orange ganache. I absolutely love it, love love it. But as others have said, traditional flavors tend to please the masses (this is code for I loved it but FI, MOH and FSIL said it was ok).

We ended up going with chocolate cake, with chocolate ganache and vanilla meringue buttercream. We are only having the one flavour but if we were having more:

White chocolate cake with white chocolate buttercream and caramel ganache (very sweet).

Spice Cake with Cream Cheese buttercream

Vanilla cake with raspberry ganache and lemon buttercream

I want cake now.
  • Just for some insight, why do you all think different flavors is a bad idea?  I'm looking for a few creative suggestions, but were planning on sicking with pretty standard pickings - white with raspberry, lemon with lemon, chocolate.
  • I should also add that our cakes will actually be too big for the 10 people per table, so if Chocolate Hater gets stuck at chocolate cake, she can grab a slice of vanilla.  There will be plenty of extras.
  • edited June 2010
    Personally I love variety but it makes it tough to choose. If I had too many choices I would want more than one. Not a great option. If I only had 3 - 4 to choose from I could probably pick one. Maybe. Or I would make FI get a different one from me and then force him to go halfsies with me, which he would complain about but still do, and then be happy that he did it. I repeat: I want cake now. No more cake posts...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:0399615f-d8a6-4ab3-8f90-a1b5d616a1bf">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just for some insight, why do you all think different flavors is a bad idea?  I'm looking for a few creative suggestions, but were planning on sicking with pretty standard pickings - white with raspberry, lemon with lemon, chocolate.
    Posted by sarahmk5[/QUOTE]

I only say it because I dont like flavors like orange, lemon, etc.  When it comes to cake I like chocolate, vanilla, or red velvet. 

Is this your only dessert option?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:0399615f-d8a6-4ab3-8f90-a1b5d616a1bf">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just for some insight, why do you all think different flavors is a bad idea?  I'm looking for a few creative suggestions, but were planning on sicking with pretty standard pickings - white with raspberry, lemon with lemon, chocolate.

It just gets to be too much, too many options.  You also have to remember, when you start getting the sort of "off the wall" flavors (like the orange and chocolate or cookie filling) not all guests are going to like that.  99% of guests like the basics such as chocolate, white, maybe a bavarian cream filling.
    Photobucket
  • Carrot cake is yummy! :)

Your idea sounds delicious! 
    Anniversary
  • Yes - cake is the only thing we're having for dessert.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:238d5739-b948-4ec0-b702-a5c7c35ab1ba">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake Brainstorm! : It just gets to be too much, too many options.  You also have to remember, when you start getting the sort of "off the wall" flavors (like the orange and chocolate or cookie filling) not all guests are going to like that.  99% of guests like the basics such as chocolate, white, maybe a bavarian cream filling.
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

<div>See, this exactly. Just because I like chocolate and orange doesn't mean the rest of my guests will. And I am not subscribing to the 'it's all about me' perspective for my wedding...I would ideally like to please as many guests as possible with the food at least...</div>
  • I see what you're saying with too many options, but they won't be in a buffet style.  The assumption is that people will eat what is on their table, and not shop around immediately after their cake is cut.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:75ea86b9-01bb-4aea-8741-6e913d1f82ee">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake Brainstorm! : See, this exactly. Just because I like chocolate and orange doesn't mean the rest of my guests will. And I am not subscribing to the 'it's all about me' perspective for my wedding...I would ideally like to please as many guests as possible with the food at least...
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

This, and you don't want to end up with 15 cakes at the end of the night because no one wanted the strange flavors, do you?
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:9111f68d-12c3-4a52-bdae-61d6ffbd29cd">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see what you're saying with too many options, but they won't be in a buffet style.  The assumption is that people will eat what is on their table, and not shop around immediately after their cake is cut.

What I'm saying with the different flavors though, is with the "unique" flavors its more likely a guest won't like the cake they are stuck with.

Does that make sense, I feel like you're not getting the point we're trying to make.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:2c573acb-116d-4cd4-9894-df56914372ad">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should also add that our cakes will actually be too big for the 10 people per table, so if Chocolate Hater gets stuck at chocolate cake, she can grab a slice of vanilla.  There will be plenty of extras.

But then they have to go table to table looking for a cake they like.
    Photobucket
  • I get it - you think that there would be too much choice, and people wouldn't like what they were given if we do off the wall flavors, like orange and chocolate or cookie filling.  We were planning on doing mostly classic things, though, like white with some different fruit, chocolate,.  I will definitely talk to FI about cutting down the amount of flavors.  I understand that people may be overwhelmed.
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010

As a guest, I would rather have it be buffet style if you are going to have off beat flavors.  If I was stuck with a weird flavor that I didnt like, and had no other dessert option, I would be a little disappointed.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:b663b8e6-6c96-4293-8e9d-252b0df651b2">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a guest, I would rather have it be buffet style if you are going to have off beat flavors.  If I was stuck with a weird flavor that I didnt like, and had no other dessert option, I would be a little disappointed.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

<div>The buffet isn't really an option, since the cakes are the centerpieces :).</div>
  • I know.

I really like the idea!  Im just sayin I am a picky dessert eater, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • leaynleayn member
    First Comment
    I love cake!  You could do some marble cakes with normal flavors to get additional varieties, like a red velvet vanilla marble or chocolate vanilla marble.  Maybe do a vanilla cake with coconut icing and another with chocolate cake and coconut icing, same with other icings.  There's 4 cakes right there!  That way you have normal cakes that everyone might enjoy and if they happen to hate their icing, they can just scrape it off or something.  Hmmm...
    Undecided
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 2 layers of our cake are vanilla cake with grand marnier cream and fresh strawberry filling. One layer is vamilla cake with lemon custard and fresh strawberry and rasberry filling. FI's grooms cake is dark chocolate cake with hazelnut praline filling. I think those are all great flavors. If I wasn't allergic to hazelnut, I'd eat them all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I side-eye anyone who is picky about dessert. It's DESSERT, for Chrissakes. It's like joy on your plate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:98a00abe-5e91-401c-a0c0-a8d8cb8fc4ed">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]2 layers of our cake are vanilla cake with grand marnier cream and fresh strawberry filling. One layer is vamilla cake with lemon custard and fresh strawberry and rasberry filling. FI's grooms cake is dark chocolate cake with hazelnut praline filling. I think those are all great flavors. If I wasn't allergic to hazelnut, I'd eat them all.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

<div>Mmmm.  Chocolate hazlenut.  I like that!</div>
  • You have to have carrot cake. We didn't because my H doesn't like it.

We had red velvet with raspberry filling
    Banana flavored cake with banana cream filling
    Chocolate with dark chocolate filling
    French Vanilla with Italian cream cheese filling
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-brainstorm?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:53af24c2-20e0-4e05-a8b7-647eca84e867Post:53ed1109-6793-4fa1-8b70-5aea6a039984">Re: Cake Brainstorm!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I side-eye anyone who is picky about dessert. It's DESSERT, for Chrissakes. It's like joy on your plate.
    Posted by opalsky007[/QUOTE]

I dont think there is anything wrong with not liking weird desserts.  I dont like orange, lemon or coconut.  Some people are also allergic to nuts so that leaves out some flavors too.

I was only saying that if the cake is going to be your only dessert option, I would make it more mainstream with the flavor choice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm still in heaven thinking of the cake we had. The bottom layer, which we served, was marble (chocolate and vanilla) with chocolate mousse filling and the top was chocolate cake with the same filling. It was iced with chocolate buttercream.

I panicked at the last minute and was afraid since we weren't serving the top layer, we wouldn't have enough, so I ordered a quarter sheet cake done the same way (without the flowers). The marble cake was good, but dear God in heaven, that chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream was insanely incredible. I ate on the sheet cake for the rest of the time we were there. Big ol' hunks.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards