Wedding Reception Forum

Photobooth Fad?

Am I the only one rolling my eyes at this photobooth fad? I feel like right now EVERYONE'S trying to do it, and in 10 years NO ONE will be doing it. I would have it if I didn't already know 15 people who are having a photobooth at their reception. What does everyone think about it?

Re: Photobooth Fad?

• I think it's pretty obvious that it's a trend, but there's nothing wrong with that.  Pick up skirts and candy bars were the trend a few years ago, just like puffy sleeves were in the 80's.  

A wedding isn't about displaying the most unique idea you can come up with.  It's about having a good time with friends and family.  If they'll enjoy a photobooth, the fact that they enjoyed it at other weddings isn't going to stop them from enjoying it.  
  • You're not the only one.
    I rained on a few parades over on the Favors board today in my stating that the Photobooth thing is not new or groundbreaking. Oops.

• I'm not a fan of the photobooth, either. But I also am not a fan of the "sign our mat for our wedding picture" trend from a few years ago (or currently....I don't know what's still popular as far as that), either. There are always going to be trends that come and go and eventually seem played out. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm not a fan of the photobooth, either. But I also am not a fan of the "sign our mat for our wedding picture" from a few years back (or still currently....I don't know what is still en vogue in guest book alternatives), either. There are always going to be trends that come and go and eventually seem played out. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You're not alone. I don't care for photobooths, but I also feel that way when I still see a signed photo mat for a guestbook alternative. There are always going to be trends and fads that eventually seem played out. 
  • I do agree that they are a fad, but if they are enjoyable to your guests, there is really nothing wrong with it.  My own wedding is the only wedding I've ever attended with a photobooth, and we received so many compliments from guests.  It wasn't empty at all and even my nearly 90-year-old aunt who loathes having her picture taken got in on the fun.  Point being, sure they are trendy, but there's really nothing wrong with that if your guests enjoy it.
  • Don't get me wrong. I'm all about fun. I just didn't know if I was the only one who thought they were a fad or if they were here to stay. I do tend to say, "So And So did that, so I don't want to do it," mostly because I don't want to seem like a copy cat. I do love the signed matted photo as a guestbook alternative, though. I'm all about things that can actually be used to decorate your home. We're not having an actual guest book because I really don't think that 10 years from now I'm going to sit down and look at people's signatures. I'd much rather read their comments. I also love the fingerprint pictures becuase they can be hung in your bedroom to remind you of your day. 
  • I think they are alot of fun and originally FI and I wanted to have one at the wedding.  But now we have changed our minds because the last 4 weddings we went to they had photobooths. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hear you on the "so and so did that so I don't want to." That's how I felt about a chocolate fountain that my cousin had. A lot of people were asking me to have one, but b/c she had done it, I didn't want to appear to be copying her. It's lame, but there's some history there and some stuff with our family dynamic that prompted me to make that decision. 

We had our guests sign river rocks, and we keep them in a vase in our home. It's one of my favorite things. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_photobooth-fad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7aa4466d-2f5e-42b3-8450-95f4fb6eca72Post:e14363e2-7033-4b1b-b766-e7ca06614e66">Re: Photobooth Fad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do agree that they are a fad, but if they are enjoyable to your guests, there is really nothing wrong with it.  My own wedding is the only wedding I've ever attended with a photobooth, and we received so many compliments from guests.  It wasn't empty at all and even my nearly 90-year-old aunt who loathes having her picture taken got in on the fun.  Point being, sure they are trendy, but there's really nothing wrong with that if your guests enjoy it.
    Posted by libby2483[/QUOTE]

All of this. They are definitely trendy, but I've never been to a wedding that had one besides my own. We did DIY, so it was a great value (the photographer was horrible though - a friend of DH's parents who insisted on doing it because photography is his passion). Anyhow... People still talk about the fun pics three months later. So I'm glad we did it, even if a few years from now it falls out of fashion.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I've been  to a few weddings with photobooths.  It can be fun, as long as there isn't a long line for it.  It wasn't something we wanted to spend money on.  I think as long as your guests enjoy it, it doesn't matter if it's "trendy."   Sooner or later, just about everything wedding related was or will be "trendy."   But yeah, it's not "unique."
    DSC_9275
  • Nothing is unique in a wedding. Nothing. The sooner people realize that, the better.
    That being said, I think they're fun, so who cares if everyone does it? The cupid shuffle is fun, too, so we did it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_photobooth-fad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:7aa4466d-2f5e-42b3-8450-95f4fb6eca72Post:e14363e2-7033-4b1b-b766-e7ca06614e66">Re: Photobooth Fad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do agree that they are a fad, but if they are enjoyable to your guests, there is really nothing wrong with it.  My own wedding is the only wedding I've ever attended with a photobooth, and we received so many compliments from guests.  It wasn't empty at all and even my nearly 90-year-old aunt who loathes having her picture taken got in on the fun.  Point being, sure they are trendy, but there's really nothing wrong with that if your guests enjoy it.
    Posted by libby2483[/QUOTE]

DItto, I agree it may be trendy but I don't think it's as common as everyone thinks. My wedding was the only one I've even been to with one, and I've attended over 10 in the last 2 years.  No one had ever seen one at a wedding before mine. Everyone had a blast including my older guests. I actually had a video photobooth and the things it captured in there are priceless.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Eh, fads or not, if it's something fun that you and your guests will enjoy, do it. Someone mentioned candy bars and photo mats as being fads in this thread. We had both: everyone raved about our candy bar and by the end of the night, it was totally empty because everyone ate all the candy. I love our signed photo mat and it's hanging up on the wall in our bedroom; I still stop and read all the messages on it now and then. Much better for us than a book that would sit getting dusty on a shelf.

My point is, whether or not you classify something as a fad does not have a direct correlation to how much you will like or enjoy it. So if you will, then do it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We are having a photobooth, but we just really like photobooths in general (we used a photobooth strip to make our save the dates).  For us, its not about being trendy but just incorporating something we enjoy into the reception.

I guess I dont get why you need to roll your eyes at it.  I dont particularly like the idea Addie had to have guests sign rocks, but I'm not judging her for it.  That worked for her.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• it's not new. it's been going on for like 10 years.
    i, for one, like them.  you get cute pics with family and friends you dont see often and they're fun to do while you hear a song you hate or just for a break from dancing.

• I'm sorry to hear about your first husband.  Sad, he must have been young. 
    And yes, I agree...nice to have pics of the guests!  I wish I had more family pics than I do.

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_photobooth-fad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:7aa4466d-2f5e-42b3-8450-95f4fb6eca72Post:8237bd0e-34fa-4e9d-818c-d216e97cae08">Re: Photobooth Fad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, you aren't the only one. I thought photobooths were fun to play in....when I was about ten years old.  I don't think they're completely stupid now, but I still consider it something for the younger crowd, and would pass it up in favor of the food and dancing at a wedding. Wouldn't have one at mine.  I'd put the money into the food and drinks for my guests instead. What I HATE are the fingerprint trees.  I'm not doing it.    I'm not paranoid....but I am NOT giving somebody else my fingerprints. I'm just not going to do it.  I say "no thank you" politely, but get loud huffs and dirty looks.  I can't understand why the couple just doesn't get it. I agree about guest books as a whole being stupid.  I was totally taken by the industry at my first wedding, and blew big money on an expensive one.  That was a happy marriage (he died), but we never looked at it again.  It's still in my cedar chest.  Who wants to flip through pages and pages of signatures, and coo over where Sue or Bob left theirs???  I wish I'd taken lots of pictures of all the guests instead, because many of those people, in addition to my husband, are gone now.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]
    God is Faithful!
  • I vote "if it's in your budget, do it."  They are fun, but we didn't want to splurge on it.  We went to a few weddings this past year and 2 had them.  We took pics at both and laughed our heads off.  Great idea, just not if it's taking away money from another area.
    God is Faithful!
  • We have to remember that just because we spend all day on bride websites and wedding boards on Pinterest, not all of our guests will. So while it seems like an over-done reception activity, it might be new and fun to the guests. That being said -- I cringe at the mustache on a stick prop, ugh.
  • I haven't been to any wedding with a photo booth, but we decided to have one when our friend offered that we test out his cheap alternative.  This device that turns a camera into a phootbooth.  The Photoboop took very little space and was a hit at our wedding.  We had many of our camera-shy friends and family pose in front of it, and I love looking at these pictures.  I woud highly recommend this as a cheap way to have a photo booth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards