Wedding Etiquette Forum

I judge...

Re: I judge...

• Beanie, I yell at my mother almost every single time we pull into a mall parking lot "INCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP!!"  She stops (or at least slows down) anyway.  Bugs the crap out of me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:2cdff88d-d04b-4364-8c04-78a1645d8315">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pretty much, it's very corrupt, they have a lot of misleading sales tactics and recruiting tactics. A lot of manipulation of the consultants. There is a whole website dedicated to it. <a href="http://www.pinktruth.com." rel="nofollow">www.pinktruth.com.</a>
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more with this. Are some people within the Mary Kay business corrupt? I'm sure. I did a lot of research and was pretty skeptical of Mary Kay for awhile, but "pinktruth" doesn't have it all right. Some consultants are really pushy and annoying and probably deceitful, but there are also good, honest ones too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:37c97f82-b000-492b-9b34-95a9955c5162">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : That does make sense, I see what you're saying. But the Bible said don't do a lot of things in the OT (like don't eat "unclean" meat), and then Jesus came so a lot of the legalism could be done away with. Does that make sense? That is why, if my husband were to die tomorrow, I don't have to marry his brother like I would have if I were living in pre-Jesus days, according to the OT law. I'm not saying the entire OT is invalid or anything, I just think people put too much focus on it when it comes to "rules."
    Posted by NicoleSahara[/QUOTE]

I think though, that once someone starts bringing up "rules" that are only mentioned in the OT, the rest of the OT is fair game.  Jesus doesn't have anything to say on some of the hot button topics in current religion/politics. IMO, if it isn't covered by the "Greatest Commandment" than it probably isn't relevant.

But that has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I'm not going to get too deep into this! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:2cdff88d-d04b-4364-8c04-78a1645d8315">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pretty much, it's very corrupt, they have a lot of misleading sales tactics and recruiting tactics. A lot of manipulation of the consultants. There is a whole website dedicated to it. <a href="http://www.pinktruth.com." rel="nofollow">www.pinktruth.com.</a> ETA, I'm slow.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

I thought that was pretty much all pyramid schemes?  I'm with Beachy, though, I do love me some Pampered Chef stuff.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:f3c3f393-00cd-46d0-bd7d-eb8c3dcdebeb">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : <strong>I think though, that once someone starts bringing up "rules" that are only mentioned in the OT, the rest of the OT is fair game.</strong>  Jesus doesn't have anything to say on some of the hot button topics in current religion/politics. IMO, if it isn't covered by the "Greatest Commandment" than it probably isn't relevant. But that has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I'm not going to get too deep into this! 
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:f3c3f393-00cd-46d0-bd7d-eb8c3dcdebeb">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : I think though, that once someone starts bringing up "rules" that are only mentioned in the OT, the rest of the OT is fair game.  Jesus doesn't have anything to say on some of the hot button topics in current religion/politics. IMO, if it isn't covered by the "Greatest Commandment" than it probably isn't relevant. But that has nothing to do with the current discussion, so I'm not going to get too deep into this! 

I totally agree with you, that's why I added that last part about some people focusing way too much on OT law. I didn't mean LDY, I meant people running around saying gays should be killed. I just think of all the things Christianity is about, THAT is what some people wanna focus on? I don't think that's what Jesus was talking about when he said "spread the good news." 
  • Agree, Stage. 

And also, I do direct sales. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:d483802c-8661-40e9-81d7-d30ec50df7be">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : <strong>The problem with this is that you have no way of KNOWING if it's against the religion they are honoring or not.  Many progressive churches teach the Bible to be a collection of figurative examples and parables to be considered in a historical context, rather than the Letter and Law of God.</strong>  For those people, getting a tattoo does violate any of their beliefs.  I agre with the pp who mentioned judging those who judge others.  Just because I'm not a bible-thumping, saving myself for marriage Sunday Sunday Wednesdayer like you are used to seeing doesn't mean I'm a "bad Christian".  You don't agree with my views or practices, then fine.  But to say I'm a hypocrite or bad at practicing my religion means that you are deeming to know what my religion IS based on your own assumptions and biases. That's a universal "you" and not aimed at MUNI, by the way.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This is true.  But I've never really considered it when I see a stranger on the street with a cross tattoo.

But a youth leader at the church I grew up?  A church that preached against tattoos?  I thought it was super hypocritical.
  • Hey Stage- I haven't seen you around in a while!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't get the direct sales hate either. And that Pink Truth site is beyond biased (which, yes, they admit to being). But to say that it'll be terrible because you'll spend evenings and weekends away from your family searching for new victims? I don't buy that. I think it's pretty obvious to any would-be salesperson that goes to one of those parties that that's the deal. And maybe that's OK with them? Why does spending nights away from your family have to be a bad thing? Maybe doing this job means you get to spend your days with them and that's what's important to you. I just don't see several of their claims as being so horrible for the salespeople.

Granted, I don't want someone in my face selling me Amway all the time if I've repeatedly told them "no", but I love a good Pure Romance party once in awhile.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:aebfe76c-399d-4156-b0b4-ac5c651f3012">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : This is true.  But I've never really considered it when I see a stranger on the street with a cross tattoo. But a youth leader at the church I grew up?  A church that preached against tattoos?  I thought it was super hypocritical.

What if he got that tattoo when he wasn't a Christian or when he went to another church that didn't have a problem with tattoos? Churches also preach against sin, but everyone still sins. I guess we're all a bunch of hypocrites. (That last sentence wasn't even that sarcastic, that's where the whole "grace" thing comes in.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:b20da76e-f800-49a0-96f7-e479b444493f">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I judge my friend for getting rid of the dog she swore she would never get rid of, especially because her husband wanted to keep it.  Actually, I judge a co-worker who did this too.  I'll make a blanket I judge people for getting rid of their pets for petty reasons.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

Don't start running a rescue!  My friend (who does) tells me the craziest stories about people surrenduring their pets.  Makes me so sad.  :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:fd6e5377-fb22-4fdf-9136-9b06f05d1282">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I judge... : But by that rationale, tattoos have nothing to do with the Great Commandment.  I'm confused now.

This is true.  But there's a world of difference between "Huh.  That's hypocritical.  Our church preaches against tattoos and he's got a religious tattoo" and making arguments that gays should be stoned because Leviticus says so.
  • pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:6efe6ad0-8959-4d6c-b2be-da5cc1da87f7">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I judge the tourists who come to NYC and spend the entire time complaining about the following: everything is so expensive - well known fact, deal with it or select a vacation location more suitable to what you'd like to spend. it is so dirty here : stop throwing your garbage on the ground and on the subway tracks people are so rude: Only when you do things that are against all common sense such as block the door to the subway so that others can't get on or off the train, abruptly stop at the top of the subway stairs to look around, congregate in large groups in the middle of a sidewalk that is actually used for walking. The majority of the people in NYC are helpful and will help you with directions, etc. Just be respectful of the fact that we are not on vacation.
    Posted by BrooklynBride20[/QUOTE]

Cosigned, me, the girl from Boston who is normally friendly and helpful to tourists, until you stop in the middle of the sidewalk and I almost plough into you.
  • Nicole- That's a fair point.  And yeah, I do think most people say or do something that is hypocritical at some point in their religious life.  That doesn't mean they are a terrible person, or whatever.  But it's still hypocritical. 

Stage- And yeah, I was thinking of a specific person who I thought was a hypocrite for getting a cross tattoo (and I know that he was a leader in a church that preached against tattoos at the time he got the tattoo) and specifically religions that would have something in their texts that would preculde tattooing.  Yeah, a wiccan who wants to get a religious symbol is gravy.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:0641300c-dc2e-442e-adae-5de5188b2a6d">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and my big judge for the day is people who bring their pets to work.  Seriously, why the fluck would you haul your cat up to campus to stay in your office everyday?  And if I can't have fish in my office, which make no noise, then I shouldn't have to hear your cat yowling for 20 minutes when you're late to feed it.

WTF?  People actually do this? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:0641300c-dc2e-442e-adae-5de5188b2a6d">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and my big judge for the day is people who bring their pets to work.  Seriously, why the fluck would you haul your cat up to campus to stay in your office everyday?  And if I can't have fish in my office, which make no noise, then I shouldn't have to hear your cat yowling for 20 minutes when you're late to feed it.

That's weird.  I mean, I've tried to talk my boss into letting us bring our dogs to work one day, but that would just be for the day and then we would get to play with dogs all day :)  But to do it daily seems kind of strange.  The pet is probably much happier at home in its own territory.

• MUNI, I'm surprised they didn't make that leader step down. In that case, where the church specifically teaches against it, and he knew that and went out and got a tattoo anyway, that just seems like pretty blatant defiance. While I don't have an issue with tattoos, if you're a leader in a church that does, that shouldn't happen.
  • Tomorrow is "Bring Your Dog to Work Day" in our office and I'm super excited, and I don't even have a pet! A former coworker used to bring her dog in every couple weeks for the day and I loved it. For those of us too lazy to have pets, it's nice to get to enjoy other people's pets.

That said, you need to know your pet and know that they're not going to be a bother to your coworkers. I thought about borrowing my mom's dog tomorrow, but the dog is way too high strung and would make me nervous. So she stays at home. If your pet is to hyper/crazy/skittish then you need to leave them at home.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-judge-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9a931da4-368e-45a9-a98d-4df91bf2c11bPost:f2546f23-6ac5-4d99-9d5c-ee1dbd51ebd3">Re: I judge...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Tomorrow is "Bring Your Dog to Work Day" in our office</strong> and I'm super excited, and I don't even have a pet! A former coworker used to bring her dog in every couple weeks for the day and I loved it. For those of us too lazy to have pets, it's nice to get to enjoy other people's pets. That said, you need to know your pet and know that they're not going to be a bother to your coworkers. I thought about borrowing my mom's dog tomorrow, but the dog is way too high strung and would make me nervous. So she stays at home. If your pet is to hyper/crazy/skittish then you need to leave them at home.
    Posted by Meegles4[/QUOTE]

Please have your boss call my boss.

• I don't know if it was just that this wasn't a super strict church, or if it was because he was in a volunteer position, but there wasn't a stink made of it or anything.

I mean, we did play cards on youth group trips, and they say that's a sin too. And I never once prayed for forgiveness for that sin, either.
  • edited June 2012
    Rachers, I'm not even sure I've actually ever seen someone using WIC or an EBT either...but I'm in the camp that I don't pay that much attention to them.  I'm too busy making sure all my coupons are ready, so people don't get all huffy behind me.

As a matter of fact, I judge those people.  I'm taking up two more minutes than you are.  Making noises behind me will not make me or the cashier move any faster.
  • We had Bring your pet to school day at school, but the animal was only there a couple hours or so. Sweetie would hate to be dragged somewhere everyday, she HATES car rides and leaving the house.
  • There's actually a dog at work today, LOL.  She belongs to one of the owners, doesn't come in every day, doesn't bark, has the run of the place, and is completely adorable.  I wish she'd interrupt me more!  I'd love to bring my lab in, but he's 90 pounds, which is probably a bit much for the office.
  • Adamar: I've only worked here about 1.5 years, and my last job was slowly killing my soul. The little perks like an occasional dog in the office and getting to wear jeans every day are huge when it comes to actually enjoying my job -- even on the worst days.
  • People used to bring their dogs to my old job on a regular basis. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. The cat thing is kind of weird though, do they have a litter box at the office?
    Photobucket
  • hi beachy! 
    that's all I got...
    Photobucket
  • P.S. I would TOTALLY bring my cat to work with me if I thought I could get away with it. And you know, if I had a job.
    Photobucket
  • Carrie - the dog that used to come in all the time was either a golden retriever or a yellow lab. He was big, but an older dog so he just slept all day when he wasn't visiting all of us looking for a pat on the head.
  • pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    Rachers, I check out everything people buy at the supermarket.  I don't care what it is, I'm just nosey.  But I don't notice how they pay.  I'm too busy lusting after salt and vinegar chips or fresh raspberries and thinking 'Damn!  Why didn't I pick those up too!"

I just ran an event for work, and I judge some peoples' evaluation forms.  I know the room was small, and hard to get into and out of with a large group.  I acknowledged it on Day 1 and said it was the only room I could get.  So yeah, writing that the room sucked on the eval form is not useful feedback.  Nor is complaining about the temperature, since I also announced to let me know at any time if the temp was too hot or too cold.

I guess that's more of an irrational irritation, but whatevs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards