North Carolina-Outer Banks

Beach Wedding - Cinco Palmas - Event Home

Hello all!
I am from Levittown, PA (originally from Philly) and we are hoping to have an OBX wedding in May 2013 around Memorial Day. We are learning towards doing an event home and we just came across one called Cinco Palmas in Nags Head. If anyone has ever rented here for a wedding, any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. It looks as though it is a "compound" with a few different units for your guests to stay in.

Here is the link to it:
http://www.outerbanksblue.com/rental/house.html?User=OBB4702&ID=330&Avail=&Stay=7#tabs

Basically, I'm hoping to keep the guest list below 38 because the realtor said you can not have more than 38 people in the home at one time, which is fine because we want a more intimate feel anyway.. close family, close friends. I want to have the ceremony on the beach and the reception at the house. For the reception, I am really just hoping for something laid back. I think for the food we want to do BBQ style. We have been doing our research and have heard good things about High Cotton. Anybody have any other suggestions/comments regarding good BBQ?

As for a photographer/DJ, I heard about Artz Music & Photography. Does anyone have any experience with them? About how much do they run for the violin, DJ and photography package?

I am hoping to keep costs down by going with a laid-back theme and reception. If the photography/DJ/violin package is reasonable, we will go with it. If not, I thought of just making my own playlist on an ipod and hooking it up to the sound system at the home and everyone can just eat and dance and have a good time.

also, we are thinking of providing the alcohol ourselves. Anywhere specific that has the best prices on beer/wine? We may stay away from liquor because I see you need a liquor license.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated for having this type of wedding!
Thanks!

Re: Beach Wedding - Cinco Palmas - Event Home

• edited June 2012
    Hello and welcome!!

That place looks like a wonderful set-up for a wedding - everyone can have enough space to themselves. I, personally, have never rented that unit, but it looks beautiful. I'm not sure how much you talked with your realty company, but double check they know it's for a wedding. Many times there is an event fee. 

I remember last summer several of the brides used High Cotton for their laid back receptions, and they always had great reviews for them. Last time I ate their BBQ, I remember it being quite tasty (hmmmm... now I'm getting hungry...)

As far as the ipod for the reception, I again remember last year that many of the girls did that and said they were glad they did. They saved beaucoup $$ and had more control over the songs that were played - just make sure the main house on the compound has a sweet sound system. 

For beer/wine, I know many of the gals purchased their alcohol before getting into the OBX (but I'm not sure where). Be aware, if you are bringing alcohol from a different state, some states have some restrictions on how much alcohol can be brought across their borders. (I've wondered how they actually enforce this, though.)

hmmm... I don't think I've really given you very much new info. I see you're pretty new to posting, so don't be discouraged if you don't see very many replies to your questions this week. A large number of the gals are actually away this week for their weddings. 

If you haven't had a chance to look over much stuff, OBX2011 is our moderator- she knows so much and she's so great about helping you out with any questions you may have. Even if she doesn't know an answer, she'll help you find it.

Again, welcome to the board... and happy planning! :)
  • btw... in the sidebar I saw a missm810 and a missmaura810 - are you both of these?
  • You should definatley check out Currituck BBQ on the mainland for your dinner. We did a tasting with them last month and their food was awesome!. We booked them for our Rehearsal dinner next may.
  • missm810missm810 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-cinco-palmas-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:75cc681d-bf12-4e3e-892e-e2c179cd4f18Post:6f017d39-c603-4226-ac40-604f8146a4f0">Re: Beach Wedding - Cinco Palmas - Event Home</a>:
    [QUOTE]btw... in the sidebar I saw a missm810 and a missmaura810 - are you both of these?
    Posted by TeachLibrary[/QUOTE]

Lol, yes. I made an account a long time ago, but forgot my login info so I just made a new account yesterday (MissM810) and I guess the computer remembered my old login info because when I posted it I noticed it was under MissMaura! Oops! haha Both me, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-cinco-palmas-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:75cc681d-bf12-4e3e-892e-e2c179cd4f18Post:52eeb7b2-1b99-43aa-9ca8-897e35af87b7">Re: Beach Wedding - Cinco Palmas - Event Home</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello and welcome!! That place looks like a wonderful set-up for a wedding - everyone can have enough space to themselves. I, personally, have never rented that unit, but it looks beautiful. I'm not sure how much you talked with your realty company, but double check they know it's for a wedding. Many times there is an event fee.  I remember last summer several of the brides used High Cotton for their laid back receptions, and they always had great reviews for them. Last time I ate their BBQ, I remember it being quite tasty (hmmmm... now I'm getting hungry...) As far as the ipod for the reception, I again remember last year that many of the girls did that and said they were glad they did. They saved beaucoup $$ and had more control over the songs that were played - just make sure the main house on the compound has a sweet sound system.  For beer/wine, I know many of the gals purchased their alcohol before getting into the OBX (but I'm not sure where). Be aware, if you are bringing alcohol from a different state, some states have some restrictions on how much alcohol can be brought across their borders. (I've wondered how they actually enforce this, though.) hmmm... I don't think I've really given you very much new info. I see you're pretty new to posting, so don't be discouraged if you don't see very many replies to your questions this week. A large number of the gals are actually away this week for their weddings.  If you haven't had a chance to look over much stuff, OBX2011 is our moderator- she knows so much and she's so great about helping you out with any questions you may have. Even if she doesn't know an answer, she'll help you find it. Again, welcome to the board... and happy planning! :)
    Posted by TeachLibrary[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply! I checked with the realtor and while they don't have prices available yet for 2013 she said it can now be used as an event home and that I could avoid the event fee as long as I did not have more people at the home than the home sleeps. So it sleeps 38 people, so as long as I keep it under 38 I can avoid the event fee.

It's just getting tricky because I'm putting some feelers out to family and friends and a lot more people are interested in this idea than I thought they would be and I'm worried we will have more than 38 people. We have a lot of family overseas and I thought they would be the ones least interested in coming, but they seem very interested.

The only other thing I can think of to do is see how much the event fee would actually be at this home and just block off some hotels and give people realtor information for any extra people that won't fit in the house. I've read a lot of people talking about 108 Budleigh. I think that would be another option in order to avoid an event fee. I also emailed them and the lady mentioned they have a deal if you rent their 9 bedroom oceanfront home which I'm interested in hearing more about. Maybe I could go more in this direction.

This is a lot to think about and I've been losing sleep over it!!
    Anyway, thanks for the info and any suggestions are appreciated! =)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-cinco-palmas-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:75cc681d-bf12-4e3e-892e-e2c179cd4f18Post:5df7b6be-4371-4664-b058-7c0d2f5bd14b">Re: Beach Wedding - Cinco Palmas - Event Home</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should definatley check out Currituck BBQ on the mainland for your dinner. We did a tasting with them last month and their food was awesome!. We booked them for our Rehearsal dinner next may.
    Posted by peaksarah[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! I will look into them! I've seen a lot of people on here have used them, as well. Thanks!
  • I used High Cotton BBQ for my wedding, and they were awesome, and very reasonably price.  They even will offer you a bartender for the entire night for a very low price (at least I thought so) if you want to supply your own alcohol.  I found it much easier to get kegs for my wedding instead of buying a bunch of beer.  We purchased our kegs from Stop N Shop, and they were very easy to work with.  The wine and liqour we brought from home.  It was a little cheaper to buy at home.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-cinco-palmas-event-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:75cc681d-bf12-4e3e-892e-e2c179cd4f18Post:48ef84ed-351c-4d1f-8196-abff77338492">Re: Beach Wedding - Cinco Palmas - Event Home</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used High Cotton BBQ for my wedding, and they were awesome, and very reasonably price.  They even will offer you a bartender for the entire night for a very low price (at least I thought so) if you want to supply your own alcohol.  I found it much easier to get kegs for my wedding instead of buying a bunch of beer.  We purchased our kegs from Stop N Shop, and they were very easy to work with.  The wine and liqour we brought from home.  It was a little cheaper to buy at home.
    Posted by mandafite821[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking, how much was High Cotton? I think I saw they have family style options around $129. And if you remember, how much was it for the bartender?
    Thanks!
  • I have seen Cinco Palmas and it's a great house to accommodate everyone that you will be having!

High Cotton BBQ is highly recommended by a lot of the brides.  Most of us have purchased our beer and wine at Costco or Sam's Club b/c they have such great prices, but definitely check around and don't be afraid to ask a place like Total Wine & Beer if they would offer a discount if you purchased a large quantity.

• It was $24.95 per person, I added on extras, and this included setup, servers, non-alchol drinks, and paperplates, silverware for everyone.  I think, that the bartender was $200 extra for the night, and then you had to tip them seperate.  I thought that was very fair.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards