Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower

I love my best friend more than anything in the world but I need some help. She is expecting in December and wants to have a diaper party baby shower in mid-late October cookout style in her backyard with a guest list of around 150. She wants it co-ed. Wants to host beer. She does not want to open gifts infront of anyone (calls it boring). And wants games like corn hole and beer pong. We are mid-late 20s. She also is very concerned about costs but has said she will rent tables, chairs, and outdoor space heaters if need be. I think this idea is insane. 

I offered to host it and have it at the local hall. I really feel she should open her gifts infront of everyone because I know I would personally be offended if she just took the gifts home and I did not get to see her reaction. Plus I think it helps sort out what she still may need for closer to due date baby gifting. I think her idea is downright rude and going to cost more than hosting it at the hall. The option I also offered her was have her DH cook out at the house for the guys while the ladies do their thing and if she is feeling up to it have everyone go back to the house for a cookout if the weather permits. I think telling your guests they can only go inside to use the restroom when last year on that weekend it was snowing is kind of rude.

What is everyone else's thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower

• Options
    I have been to baby showers in a restaurant but only one when the mother to be didnt open her gifts there.

Is she trying to throw her own shower?
  • Options
    She wants 150 people?  She's a fuckking loon.  That's what I think. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:473b59da-3c63-453f-81cb-2b21c8a7d900">NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my best friend more than anything in the world but I need some help. She is expecting in December and wants to have a diaper party baby shower in mid-late October cookout style in her backyard with a guest list of around 150. She wants it co-ed. Wants to host beer. She does not want to open gifts infront of anyone (calls it boring). And wants games like corn hole and beer pong. We are mid-late 20s. She also is very concerned about costs but has said she will rent tables, chairs, and outdoor space heaters if need be. I think this idea is insane.  I offered to host it and have it at the local hall. I really feel she should open her gifts infront of everyone because I know I would personally be offended if she just took the gifts home and I did not get to see her reaction. Plus I think it helps sort out what she still may need for closer to due date baby gifting. I think her idea is downright rude and going to cost more than hosting it at the hall. The option I also offered her was have her DH cook out at the house for the guys while the ladies do their thing and if she is feeling up to it have everyone go back to the house for a cookout if the weather permits. I think telling your guests they can only go inside to use the restroom when last year on that weekend it was snowing is kind of rude. What is everyone else's thoughts?
    Posted by daffydillie[/QUOTE]<div>Honestly, it sounds like she just wants a party. </div><div>She should open the gifts in fron tof the guests because that's the point of a shower.

</div>
  • Options
    Well I know I may get yelled at for this but we didn't open gifts at bridal shower. It was for personal reasons. Anyhow that being said I was going for the same vibe she is like more of a party than a shower implies just the women and found that no matter how hard you try you can't make it work coed. Fi and i got into and arg about this and i told him he was right. It still ends up being girly and women squealing about pending nuptials pending parenthood whatever. I would just skip the party, make it a real shower w/ just the women and just open the damn gifts. It's just too hard to resist bc everyone wants you to
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:c4b1bd2d-bf25-4c26-a3a9-ec7e795253db">Re: NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been to baby showers in a restaurant but only one when the mother to be didnt open her gifts there. Is she trying to throw her own shower?
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Yeah she was. I said no I would host it.

I just think having this kind of shindig in October is insane, I wasnt going to blast her guest list. I just think Great Auntie Sallie Mae shouldnt have to wear a snowsuit to a baby shower. I dont even know what a "traditional diaper party" is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just do not forsee this turning out the way she hopes, I know she loves cookouts and I think they should do her birthday cookout and have a more traditional baby shower with something afterwards if she is insistant on it. Guys arent that interested in babies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:64d56e1d-d390-42d8-84fd-cc82180c65b3">Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I know I may get yelled at for this but we didn't open gifts at bridal shower.<strong> It was for personal reasons.</strong> Anyhow that being said I was going for the same vibe she is like more of a party than a shower implies just the women and found that no matter how hard you try you can't make it work coed. Fi and i got into and arg about this and i told him he was right. It still ends up being girly and women squealing about pending nuptials pending parenthood whatever. I would just skip the party, make it a real shower w/ just the women and just open the damn gifts. It's just too hard to resist bc everyone wants you to
    Posted by Mrw21[/QUOTE]

I am insanely curious now about what possible personal reasons one could have for not opening gifts at a party whose point is to open gifts in front of everyone.

And I assure you, my imagination is running wild.... maybe your friends like to give you cocaine as gifts.  Perhaps you're allergic to Scotch tape and you break out in bright purple hives. 

• Options
    I think that sounds like a lot to ask for a baby shower. If you offered to host, while it's fine to get the guest of honor's input, it should still be mainly up to you since you are paying and all. If you want to host at the hall, I would tell her that. If you can't afford 150, say, "I'd love to get a guest list and invite who you want, but I can only afford X number of people." Then if she still wants you to host, she'll have to cut it down to that number.

What it sounds like she wants is a huge party. She can throw a huge party at her house with beer and cooking out all she wants and she can also foot the bill for it. She doesn't have to make it a baby shower; just make it a get-together. It seems she just wants a huge party on someone else's dime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options

That's not a baby shower, that's a keg party.

Beer pong is not what most people would consider a normal "shower game" for a baby shower.

If she accepts your offer to host a baby shower at the local hall then go ahead and plan away.  If she insists on the BBQ there's nothing saying they can't have a BBQ with 150? people. (Minus whatever city ordinances might get in the way of that).  Personally I wouldn't try to combine the two. 

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    Well her main intention was to throw her own baby shower and she thought having it at her house would be cheaper. But by the time you figure in food for that many people, chair/table/heater rental, not to mention space constrictions and parking it just does not seem doable with her budget. And I agree, if she goes that route I would not expect a high attendance nor many gifts because it sounds more like a college frat party. She also does not have the means to cook that much food for that many people even if it was hamburgers and hotdogs. My family cooksout together on a regular basis and we definitely need more than the little grill they are planning to use. Plus there is the chance of really crappy weather because October here is hit or miss.

I offered to pay the bill. Its not that big of a deal to me. I can get the hall for free for a few hours and FI and several of our friends can do the cooking. The only real expense would be food and decorations/prizes. My head just feels like it would explode talking her out of this terrible, terrible idea. All I can see is her great Aunt, in a snow suit, in a cold hard chair infront of a torpedo heater horrified by the guys playing beer pong and offended she cant see her carefully wrapped gift opened.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Why didn't my last post take any of the punctuation I put in?
  • Options
    daffydilliedaffydillie member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:beb934cc-4289-46e1-815b-f1f85bba9766">Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower : <strong>I am insanely curious now about what possible personal reasons one could have for not opening gifts at a party whose point is to open gifts in front of everyone. </strong>And I assure you, my imagination is running wild.... maybe your friends like to give you cocaine as gifts.  Perhaps you're allergic to Scotch tape and you break out in bright purple hives. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I am curious about this too. But her reasons arent personal, its just that she thinks it is boring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:d199322d-a0a9-4186-bdf6-e485a70c961a">Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower : I am curious about this too. But her reasons arent personal, its just that she thinks it is boring.
    Posted by daffydillie[/QUOTE]

No, I meant the person I quoted.  Your person is just being a brat.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:297d6105-23b0-46f1-b435-92d44f3378ca">Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower : No, I meant the person I quoted.  Your person is just being a brat.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Lol I will agree, I misquoted. I was also curious about these personal reasons. I mean my friends like to wrap stuff in inappropriate things but I still humor my family and open my gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    According to my daughter, a Diaper Party Baby Shower is a "sprinkle" given for a second baby because full blown baby showers are just for the first baby.

i'm just passing that on.  All of her friends are having babies, not mine!
  • Options
    The personal reasons were that a lot of the people going were in financial hardships at the time while others were very well to do. The ppl who did not have a lot of money bought a small gift and shared the cost between several of them. The well to do ppl can sometimes be hoity toity. I was very concerned w ppl feeling bad. Also my fianc absolutely did not want the present opening thing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:ff811200-94cf-4cca-bf3e-6ddd394797a6">Re: NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to my daughter, a Diaper Party Baby Shower is a "sprinkle" given for a second baby because full blown baby showers are just for the first baby. i'm just passing that on.  All of her friends are having babies, not mine!
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I had no clue what the heck a "traditional diaper party" was. This is their first child and actually the first one in both her family and our group of friends minus our military friends. The more I read about them the more I think it is just not appropriate with her guest list and the situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just to clarify I do not care who got what and price tags etc. I just didn't want others to feel bad but don't worry the hostess made me sit down and show all the gifts cuz they weren't wrapped. So everybody got their present opening anyways. Fi was very unhappy w that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:533b1c83-d30f-4b2b-88eb-700125607389">Re:NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just to clarify I do not care who got what and price tags etc. I just didn't want others to feel bad but don't worry the hostess made me sit down and show all the gifts cuz they weren't wrapped. So everybody got their present opening anyways. Fi was very unhappy w that.
    Posted by Mrw218[/QUOTE]

Well I would be highly offended if I went to a shower and took the time to purchase you a gift and you did not open it. I have had my fair share of money problems as I am sure everyone else has, but it is no excuse to be rude to the gift givers. If they did not care about you or were embarassed by their gifts, I am sure they would decline a party that is about showering you with gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you want to go ahead with a shower, I have to admit that the only coed baby shower I have ever attended was my own.  My DD was born at 27 weeks and was in NNICU for three months.  My friends all got together and had a huge cocktail party for us complete with more baby gifts that I had ever seen!.  And the baby came, it was a week after she came out of the hospital.

I guess there is nothing really wrong with including the guys other than it's unusual.  And that's not wrong
  • Options
    I dont mind including the guys at all. I just think her idea of charging the guys in diapers(what if they all give newborn sized per say) and having a cookout in mid to late October is insane especially with a guestlist of 150 including older people. Our friends are also getting older with wives and other obligations so these kind of parties are getting harder and harder to swing. Shes tried to plan this parties in the past year similar to this and basically no one shows up anymore for a variety of reasons.

In my family the guys are included too, usually they come and get food and go do guy things. I think at my cousins they went to a gunbash after saying hi and dropping the ladies off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The point of a shower is the gifts - she needs to open them with everyone there.  Although the point of a diaper party is that people only bring diapers - so if that's truly the style of party, I can overlook her not taking the time to open x boxes of diapers.  But if people bring traditional baby/shower gifts, those need to be opened there.

She should not host it herself.  If she has a viable weather/cold/rain plan I don't have an issue with it being a cookout at her house, or with it being co-ed.  If the weather's nice it can be based outside.  If it's wet and/or cold she'll need to open the house for the party though, and if she's not willing to concede that, then the plan needs to change.  

It's very nice of you to offer to host a party for her.
  • Options
    My thoughts are, if she's set on doing it her way, I would find some way to bow out. I wouldn't be a part of it at all. 
  • Options
    I think she is coming around. She was trying to get me to just throw it at her house in the backyard. Im not paying for all that when I can have it at the hall much cheaper and be able to accomodate everyone. I would not even be opposed to having it at my house where there is enough room for everyone to go inside and have it in my basement (it is finished and I could borrow enough chairs). I just never heard of a diaper party. She wants a diaper party for the guys and a baby shower for the ladies. So in other words, she is expecting the guys to pony up for diapers and the ladies to bring her gifts. While I already find that borderline rude, I think having your guests brave the weather in October is most certainly rude.

I do know before her wedding, several family members said the same thing I am saying to her and she got angry and decided to not have a bridal shower at all. But at the time I do not think anyone had offered to host the shower for her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:473b59da-3c63-453f-81cb-2b21c8a7d900">NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my best friend more than anything in the world but I need some help. She is expecting in December and wants to have a diaper party baby shower in mid-late October cookout style in her backyard with a guest list of around 150. She wants it co-ed. Wants to host beer. She does not want to open gifts infront of anyone (calls it boring). And wants games like corn hole and beer pong. We are mid-late 20s. She also is very concerned about costs but has said she will rent tables, chairs, and outdoor space heaters if need be. I think this idea is insane.  I offered to host it and have it at the local hall. I really feel she should open her gifts infront of everyone because I know I would personally be offended if she just took the gifts home and I did not get to see her reaction. Plus I think it helps sort out what she still may need for closer to due date baby gifting. I think her idea is downright rude and going to cost more than hosting it at the hall. The option I also offered her was have her DH cook out at the house for the guys while the ladies do their thing and if she is feeling up to it have everyone go back to the house for a cookout if the weather permits. I think telling your guests they can only go inside to use the restroom when last year on that weekend it was snowing is kind of rude. What is everyone else's thoughts?

1. As a pregnant person, I cannot imagine requesting a shower like this. I'm not saying that just because I can't drink no one else should, but this just seems odd to me that's it's so important to her to play games like Beer Pong, but that could just be me.

2. I'm not a fan of not-opening-gifts at a shower. The WHOLE point of a shower is to be showered with gifts. I am a person that enjoys seeing the recepient open the gift I've brought them. It makes me happy.

3. 150 guests and 1 hostess? That's a little intense. I'm having a baby shower in August and we're inviting 51 people, and I feel bad that it may be too much for 2 hostesses. I no longer feel guilty.

4. Did she ASK you to throw this shower? That alone is a faux pas.

I absolutely wouldn't blame you for telling her no to all of it. If you're wanting to throw her a shower, I would give her some limitations, and see what she's willing to compromise on.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-diaper-partybaby-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:03a0149a-df9e-4c1a-a0ea-db283daaea91Post:0374856a-3e3d-4349-ba40-0d3cf2e7c633">Re: NWR: Diaper Party/Baby Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think she is coming around. She was trying to get me to just throw it at her house in the backyard. Im not paying for all that when I can have it at the hall much cheaper and be able to accomodate everyone. I would not even be opposed to having it at my house where there is enough room for everyone to go inside and have it in my basement (it is finished and I could borrow enough chairs). I just never heard of a diaper party. She wants a diaper party for the guys and a baby shower for the ladies. So in other words, she is expecting the guys to pony up for diapers and the ladies to bring her gifts. While I already find that borderline rude, I think having your guests brave the weather in October is most certainly rude. I do know before her wedding, several family members said the same thing I am saying to her and she got angry and decided to not have a bridal shower at all. But at the time I do not think anyone had offered to host the shower for her.

At showers I've been to recently, guests have been asked to bring a pack of diapers, then for each package, they are entered in a raffle for a prize. I don't know if you think that would be a better idea. This is in addition to a regular gift, but you can bring any diapers you'd like.

I have no problem having a cookout/keg for a shower, but perhaps move it to September, or else get the VFW/hall you can get for free.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    claudia1023claudia1023 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I think a co-ed baby shower can be nice and fun... I had a co-ed baby shower for my first child and my last child (they were 9 years apart). Both baby showers were at a restaurant and the husbands were invited.
    my husband was very excited about of babies and he wanted to be part of the celebrations. he helped open the gifts and his friends even participated in the games :) 
    (my babies were boys so it's not like the men were in the middle os a sea of pink and frilly tutus.) 
    my friends even made the "daddy to be" a really cute gift that he took pictures with and we all had a good laugh with.
    also, as far as the alcohol... we did not have beer pong LOL but we did have wine and cocktails served. including some alcohol free ones for me. 

i think you can incorporate some of your friends requests but make it classy and fun. You would be amazed how many men would actually enjoy being invited.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards