Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

How much Did you Spend?

My Fiance and I got engaged last year. We haven't set a date yet because we can not decide how we are going to finance it. We both have car payments, I have a student loan, and we bought a house together so we have a house payment. Neither of our parents are going to be able to help pay for anything due to their own financial situations.

Anyone have any ideas how we can pay for this or what kind of budget we should set?

Neither of us want a BIG wedding but we just want to make it the happiest day of our lives as it should be. I really want this day to come because I have been looking forward to it since the first day we met 6 years ago.

If you have already had your big day on a low budget how much did  you spend and what kind of ideas do you have for us to move forward with our day?
559809_10152275403875517_1123710195_n

Re: How much Did you Spend?

• We did our wedding at just under $6000 for 80 people. 

We did our own flowers (silk, not real... saves a bunch of money and you can get them over a period of time rather than having to drop a load of cash all at once for fresh ones that won't last more than a few days.  I got the flowers over the course of about 3 months), we made our own centerpieces, we were ruthless with the guest list, printed our own invites and programs, there was no bar (you don't need booze to have a good time), and we got a package deal from the caterer that had food, cake, tableware (glasses, plates, silverware, napkins, tablecloths), and servers all included.  The pastor did it for free: I've known him since I was a little girl, the church had a reception hall that we used ($600 for ceremony and hall for the whole day with set up the day before), and I looked for bargains on everything else.  PP mentioned coupons from Michaels and JoAnn's... those two stores became my best friends.  The DJ was a friend of hubby's coworker, same with the photographer.

Even with all that work, it was still the best day of my life and everyone had a great time.
  • At this point it looks like our total is about $10,000.00.  My mother gave me $5,000.00 along with a huge guest list and expected me to plan a fancy wedding with that.   I've kept things as bare-bones as possible (never wanted a big, fancy wedding) but I have not been able to keep it under $10,000.00.  I have about 145 guests coming.  I have included everything in my budget, though, like attendant gifts, stamps, thank-you cards, etc.

The biggest blow to my budget was when I had to buy a second wedding dress because I lost about 40 lbs after ordering the first one.  I hope to sell that one and recoup some costs after the wedding.  

I'm so glad I will never have to do this again!! 

• We are hoping to keep ours under $7000 and so far it is looking really good. I have found some many deals. Hobby Lobby will become your best friend, I got ALL of my flowers, most decor, and my invites there for all around $300!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards