Georgia-Savannah

Things for kids/families to do while in town?

I'd like to make up a list of fun things for kids to do/places to visit while they're in town for our destination wedding next April.  I have the typical tourist-y stuff, but would love recommendations like where is there a local playground?  Any splash pads, petting zoos, cool diners that kids would love, etc?  Doesn't have to necessarily be IN the historic district, but places that are easy to get to without getting lost, since none of my guests will know Savannah AT ALL.  So I guess I'm wondering where the local kids hang out.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Things for kids/families to do while in town?

• There is a ton of great stuff for kids to do.  They just opened a new Children's Museum this spring.  They are opening new sections of it every few weeks with more to come.  We have our local "zoo", Oatland Island Wildlife Center.  It is not a traditional zoo.  It is more of a nature walk where you come across animal exibits in a natural habitat.  All of the animals there were rescued either from poachers or from injuries.  There are several National and State parks around.  There are also a few old forts.  Old Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski are two great places for kids to visit.  
    Fort Pulaski is on the way out to Tybee.  They can visit the light house, Fort Screven, the beach, the peir and then have a meal at the Crab Shack.  It is a water front restaurant that is basically like eating on a big porch.  When it's cooler out, they light big fire pits outside and have indoor seating with heaters.  While they are there, they can feed live baby gators.  
    Other fun places to eat are the Pirate's House, Vinnie Van Go-go's, Taco Abajo and Screamin Mimi's.  
    Other fun museums are The Ship's of the Sea Museum, The Telfair Museum, The Jepsom Center for the Arts which has a children's section and The Juliet Gordon Low house for any Girl Scouts you may have in the group. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Check out the Mighty Eighth Airforce Museum, I just went recently and had no idea how cool it is for kids. Also, right outside of city market is a splash park. You can't miss it. The playground at Forsyth Park is one of my daughter's favorites and then we usually stop for a treat at the bakery inside the white building at the park. Although you never know when they will be there, and it's best to leave before it gets late and rowdy, my daughters absolute favorite thing to do is go see the three guy street performers that are under the bridge on river street. They sing there usually on the weekends and are astoundingly good. Silly, but it's free, she loves it and they sing oldies to her. I think they were just on xfactor or America's got talent or some show like that. We also love to rode the ferry across the river to the Westin. The ride is free and it's lots of fun for younger kids. it boards on river street and you can catch it almost any time. Of course if you have time, I highly recommend chartering or renting a boat or even taking the kids on a dolphin cruise. Not just for the dolphins, but to see the crabs, fish, the marsh. My little loves to just see the water and the wildlife, especially if they are not from this part of the country it can be really impressive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards