North Carolina

Need Help: Prestonwood vs. NC State University Club

My fiance and I think we have it narrowed down to two places for our reception but we're finding it hard to decide because both have pros and cons.  The University Club is about $3,000-$4,000 chea[er but when you're already talking over $10,000 I'm not sure that decides it completely.  We love the flow and the look of the Prestonwood - we're looking at having the reception in the Main Clubhouse, not the ballroom.  We were hoping to let the food decide but they won't let us do tastings before signing on.  So I'm hoping anyone out there can tell us what they thought of these two places, in particular the food, the service and if there were any hidden fees or problems.  Thanks!

Re: Need Help: Prestonwood vs. NC State University Club

• tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about The State Club? We had our reception there and were so pleased with everything. We also considered Preston--my husband's sister is a member, so we eat there frequently & their food & service are excellent. We didn't consider The University Club because we booked in January 2010 & it was still heavily under renovation. Wendy at The State Club is great to work with & it's a beautiful venue.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean by the State Club.  I'm not an State alumni.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are 2 clubs affiliated with NCSU: the University Club, formerly the Faculty Cub, which is located on Hillsborough Street; and the State Club, which is located on Alumni Drive on Centennial Campus. The University Club dates back to the 50s or 60s and the State Club is new. We opted for the State Cub because it's beautiful, new and has a neutral black & white decor. It also has beautiful spiral staircases and a great ballroom. You can google it for examples of weddings. Just let me know if you have questions.
  • edited December 2011
    I think I looked at that.  It sounded like you had to be a member to have an event there.  Anybody out there know more info on this?
  • edited December 2011
    Rental Space is fully outfitted with audiovisual equipment, including wireless internet, and available for the exclusive use of TSC members only.  This is the statement that made me think that.  Am I reading it wrong?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you talk to Wendy, the catering manager? She can explain everything. I belong to the Trianle Society, so we didn't have to join, but they have an inexpensive way for you to join to have your event there.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.  It really does look beautiful.
  • meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at The State Club (not the University Club). You can join as a member inexpensively in order to host an event there and you don't have to be affiliated with the university.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards