Wedding Etiquette Forum

NerdFest 2012 in my basement

DS is a self-proclaimed nerd.  His term, not mine.  His friends all pretty much make the same proclamation about themselves.

There are 8 teens in my basement getting ready to play Path Finder, which, I am told, is like Dungeons and Dragons.

I have 8 really polite, nice teens in my basement - with a crockpot of sloppy joes, soda, cookies, and chips.  They are good to go.

I have always encouraged my kids to have their friends come to our home and I am just enjoying the chatter and socializing I hear from down there.  These "mom moments" get less frequent when you have a 17 yo DS who would live on xbox if you would let him.

Happy kids in the basement, happy mom up here.

Re: NerdFest 2012 in my basement

• And they're down there singing "Eye of the Tiger"...

• I love it! I have recently become a nerd myself!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AWWW! this is so sweet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is awesome!!! It sounds like DS is having a great time.
  • That's actually really cute:-)   I love the crockpot full of sloppy joes!  You must be the "cool mom!"
    DSC_9275
  • xH used to think he was the "cool" parent since we got a pool table for son and his friends to enjoy.  Unfortunately, xH freaked out every time he heard a cue being bounced on it's end, or found a "scratch" in the felt, or heard a ball go sailing off the table.  Son and friends played less and less.  My guess is that we should have bought a used table as we had planned rather than a brand new one and xH would have been less likely to go off the deep end.

But it was nice to have son and his friends hanging around the house - even if they did cause "trouble." ;)
  • I love that you are the cool mom who has everyone over--and I'm sure they all tell your son how "cool" you are since you let them hang in the basement and then feed them manly foods, which I'm sure embarasses him!  Hopefully they stay nerdy :)
  • edited December 2012
    I was the nerdy kid with a bunch of nerdy friends. I'll never forget our goth/punk phase in high school. I had a bunch of friends over, and I was so embarrassed when my parents showed up in the basement with leftover Christmas cookies and a pitcher of milk. My friends were SO EXCITED, though. I wish I had pictures of my mom in her pastel, floral bathrobe and pajamas standing next to my friend with the spiky leather coat and mohawk (he was helping her pour the milk). It was awesome.

Years later, my mom told me she used to love when we brought people over because 1) she could keep an eye on us and 2) she knew we were safe since we were at home. I always worried when I brought a bunch of people over, so I was glad she said that.

You're a good mom for feeding them and letting them nerd it up with all the nerds in the nerdery. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They are having a good time down there - there are actually a couple of young ladies in the group.

Sorcha, I'm sure your mom did enjoy having everyone over, but I know my kids would KILL me if I showed up in my bathrobe with milk and cookies.  Sounds like you had cool friends and a cool mom.

I don't know if any of them think I am cool but I learned many years ago with my older girls that if i constantly had their friends over they will let down their cover and let you see who they really are.  I can only think of one young man who did not impress me and I did not end up approving of that friendship.
  • Thanks Retread. Your best friend's mom sounds like she was a wonderful person.  I would be so humbled if one of DS's friends might remember me someday as you have remembered her.

I have tried to make sure our house is open and that we host whatever we can because DS's group of friends is small. (Definitely high quality, low quantity) His awkward social skills associated with the Asperger's certainly led him to be bullied an awful lot in elementary and middle school, first part of high school too. I have just always tried to have get togethers that work for them.  Today was a smashing success!

What an awesome group of young people.  So friendly, respectful, and they had tons of fun.  One of them is kind of like Sheldon Cooper on steroids and a touch exhausting, but it all works out.

Now we are on to NYE - his 2 closest buds are coming over to spend the night.  I am quite sure they will be xboxing with their online Canadian friends all night.  Must stock up on pizza.
  • That's awesome!  I was totally like your kid when I was growing up, and we really appreciated the parents who let us use thier basement to nerd-out.

It's amazing how unaccepting society generally was, considering we were the kids who weren't drinking, doing drugs, or out vandalizing anything.  Kudos to you for letting them have a safe place to be themselves, and engage in harmless fun. 

I shall now resist the temptation to explain how Pathfinder differs from DnD :P.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nerdfest-2012-in-my-basement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:34e75da6-c400-4a50-8bda-4aaaa61f394bPost:49f7b7e4-fe64-4452-bda4-f2f0bce2c69c">Re: NerdFest 2012 in my basement</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's awesome!  I was totally like your kid when I was growing up, and we really appreciated the parents who let us use thier basement to nerd-out.  It's amazing how unaccepting society generally was, considering we were the kids who weren't drinking, doing drugs, or out vandalizing anything.  Kudos to you for letting them have a safe place to be themselves, and engage in harmless fun.<strong>  I shall now resist the temptation to explain how Pathfinder differs from DnD :P.</strong>
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>I think DS giving me this analogy was more of a "it will take me a million years to explain Pathfinder to mom so I will just tell her it is like D&D."  :)</div>
  • Usually, my fiancé has his friends over one day a month to have nerd days. I was telling him earlier today that I really miss him having his friends over to geek out, as they've taken a break for the holidays. They play Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering and Munchkin. It's so delightfully geeky.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards