North Carolina-Outer Banks

Travel Costs for Guests

Hey Ladies,
So...sadly I am realizing that many of our OOT guests won't be able to afford the cost of travel and make it to our wedding. Honestly, I'm not even sure some of my FAMILY will be able to come! I've searched and tried to find ways to make it cheaper for travelers, but every site tells me the same thing, at least $400-$500 per plane ticket (flying into Norfolk, VA no matter where they are coming from). Has anyone had any luck with travel agencies or group rates on tickets?? I'm completely understand that our guests just can't all afford the cost of flying out, renting a car and driving at least 2 hours, and the hotel. I just really wish I could find a way to make it easier. Any ideas or suggestions out there??

(I should mention that our guests who live close enough to drive, will be doing so. I'm concerned about my family, who will have to fly from California.)
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Travel Costs for Guests

• edited December 2011
    I'm running into this same exact problem.  We have quite a few guests and family that we've invited from Oklahoma and Texas. Airfare for us is around $400-$550 (RDU is a little cheaper than Norfolk for us, but its a 3 hr drive)... then you add rental car and hotel ($200+/night in the OBX in summer) and I'm not surprised that people including Aunts and Cousins have told us they couldn't come.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for air specials, such as ding specials on southwest or AA airmail.  I have a friend getting married in Pittsburgh who came across a special on continental for $175 roundtrip (OKC to PIT) and texted everyone in the area she had invited.  Saved us all a bundle (cheapest prior to that was $450 RT).  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something better will come up as we get closer to the 2 mo range and if I see it I'll let others know either through mass text or email...

• edited December 2011

Same here, but I guess it stings less because we had pretty much counted on most of them not coming.  Some of my family is flying into Norfolk from Louisville, KY and paying around $200 for their tickets.  Most of ours who are coming just decided to do the 12 hour drive. 

Adding hotel costs on top of that really makes it an expensive wedding, though most who are coming have decided it will be their summer vacation too.  For those staying the whole week, rental houses ended up being cheaper.

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_travel-costs-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:ccc64d52-9025-476f-902e-93696575982cPost:40908f1a-60d4-472f-a040-727a145769f6">Re: Travel Costs for Guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Same here, but I guess it stings less because we had pretty much counted on most of them not coming.  Some of my family is flying into Norfolk from Louisville, KY and paying around $200 for their tickets.  Most of ours who are coming just decided to do the 12 hour drive.  Adding hotel costs on top of that really makes it an expensive wedding, though most who are coming have decided it will be their summer vacation too. <strong> For those staying the whole week, rental houses ended up being cheaper.
    </strong>Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

ms_teach- what rental company did you find to be cheaper for the rental homes?? I've looked at Beach Realty & Kitty Dunes thus far.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_travel-costs-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:ccc64d52-9025-476f-902e-93696575982cPost:4a58f093-95cd-418a-9349-d1010453ef78">Re: Travel Costs for Guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Travel Costs for Guests : ms_teach- what rental company did you find to be cheaper for the rental homes?? I've looked at Beach Realty & Kitty Dunes thus far.
    Posted by sarahebrown[/QUOTE]

Everyone with our wedding is using sunrealty, but vrbo.com was a close second.  Several of our family members went together to stay in a larger house and saved even more that way.  Plus, the kitchen helps cut food costs.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Sarah, if you Google "vacation rental homes in Nags Head, NC" it will bring up the entire lists of all mgmt companies down there.  We are going through Village Realty

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies, I'll give that a try.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!
    I am thinking about getting married at the Wild Horse.  Can anyone tell me if the entire house is wired for sound? We want to cut costs and just use our I pod instead of a dj.  Any suggestions on what we should do as far as music on the beach?
    If there is seating for only 54 people, what do I do if all 80 guests end up coming?
    Does anyone know the demensions of the 3 tables?

I am having a hard time finding jeep rentals for the week, the tours keep popping up. Anyone know of websites or phone numbers to weekly Jeep rentals?
    Can anyone suggest an inexpensive place to rent benches and props for a beach ceremony?
    Know of any good, inexpensive hotels close to the 4X4 areas?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Shanna,
    You should probably re-post this as a new thread so the other brides on the board can help answers your questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards