Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

XP: train length!

So, I'm casually browsing dresses (18 months off...not a lot of time to sit on a dress, but not like I have to rush out and buy one TOMORROW OMG!!) and I'm noting all the different train lengths.  I was wondering how many people actually had the chathedral like trains, or if anyone said, "eh, no thanks" to a train at all (like I think I want to!) 

So....tell me about your dress! :)

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: train length!

• I didn't want a huge train because my reception is outside and I didnt want a huge long dragging dress and I also didnt want a heavy bustle with my dress. My train is chapel length so there is a train so I am still bridal like down the aisle but it wont get annoying during the course of the night.

• I was a total train-hater before I went shopping...  but then I started trying on long trains and changed my tune.  I wound up with a pretty long train (PIB) because I figured it was the only time I'd ever get the chance to wear something like that!
  • ^ same here

I thought I wouldn't want any train at all, but I ended up falling in love with a dress with a pretty long train (PIB).  My advice is, don't rule out a train.  Just go try on some dresses and see how you feel in them!
  • Thanks for your input!  I definitely am going into this a train hater, and my mom is trying to talk me out of it - she thinks I'll look pretty with one, but I don't know that I want to carry the extra weight!  I will attempt to try some different styles on, though, so we'll see what happens.  Your dresses sound/look gorgeous! =]  Thanks again.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The weight of the train depends a lot on the fabric.  Not all of them are heavy.  My dress was dupioni silk and my train was light as a feather.  No extra weight.  Just try on a variety of different things and see how you feel.  GL!
  • You could always get any length train and bustle it during the reception to have it out of the way. I've seen short sweeps bustled or even really long trains bustled. You can make a train work!
    March 3, 2012
  • My train is a chapel train and I plan on having it bustled so it doesn't get in the way during the reception. I agree...do not rule out a train! It's one of those things that help make you feel like a bride :-)
  • I am having a chapel length train for my dress, but am having it bustled for the reception.  I thought I would hate the bustle, but the seamstress did a great job of implementing the French bustle (tucks under instead of causing a huge bump right by your butt!), and it looks really pretty with the style of the dress.  Good luck in your dress shopping!
  • I thought I would like a train.  I was wrong.  I did not like the fact that it followed me.  I am not sure why.  I tried on dresses with no trains and with small trains and with medium trains.  I am a "plain jane" and realized that I did not like the train (sorry, I did not mean to rhyme).  So...my dress is train-less.

GL with your dress!
  • I went into it swearing that I wanted either  no train or a sweep train. My dress has a semi-cathedral train!!! And I absolutely love it. Remember that you've got plenty of time and try on lots of different styles - everything from the poofy princess dress with a cathedral train to the slinky silk dress that only comes to ankle length. You really don't know what you'll like in a wedding dress until you actually try on wedding dresses!
  • My dress is actually a semi-cathedral but when I order it will be a cathedral. I'm having two extra feet added back there. I'm tall so all the hem lines are perfect and the church that I'm getting married in is twice as long as most so I figured I needed to have a long train. Here it is, http://www.bonny.com/1816.html
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_xp-train-length?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:48eb1dc3-386e-4c30-aeee-b9b44d42bcb6Post:9ac96480-c695-43d1-9272-d87f97f99a29">Re: XP: train length!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Keep your ceremony location in mind.  Trains are a terror on the beach, on green grass, & on mulch.  They grab every little thing that you walk over.
    Posted by tommyandy[/QUOTE]

I got married on the grass and had no problem whatsoever.  I also just picked it up and carried it if I didn't want it dragging across the pavement on the way to the ceremony.

I agree that bustling is a must for pretty much any train.  There are WAY more styles of bustling than just the french or american styles too so that can be a whole other look in itself.  I had a 32 point Austrian bustle, which was perfect for my long train.  It wasn't in my way at the reception at all. 
  • Technically my dress (click here) does have a teeny tiny train - it's got a sweep train. I absolutely love wedding dresses with trains and was surprised when I fell in love with my dress since it doesn't have one (or lace which I was looking for originally).

Since my dress doesn't have much of a train I got a cathedral length veil to kind of compensate for the train.
  • If you are worried about carrying the extra weight at the reception, look at dresses whose trains are detachable. Mine is a regal length and detachable. I LOVE it!

Good luck and just try to enjoy the process!
  • I tried on a dress with a long train, and promptly tripped and fell on my face.  I bought a dress with a sweep train.
  • I am kind of a train hater especially cause I am having a destination wedding on the beach. My dress has a little train and I mentioned cutting it off. My mother and future mother in law almost died at the thought. So I am keeping the train but it is so minimal that I dont mind. Definitely just try on dresses that you like the look of. If they have a train and you hate it cut it off or shorten it.
  • I had a cathedral train and a royal cathedral veil for my first wedding.  Will do it again this time.  It's a special day, but either way, be comfortable in what you choose!
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm getting married in a garden so I actually went with tea length
  • I had a semi-cathedral train and my dress was made out of taffeta.  My seamstress suggested I cut off the extra lining from the train (so the only fabric for the train was the taffeta top layer) and it made my dress so much lighter and I didn't have to worry about the weight when it had to be bustled.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited February 2010
    Mine was "royal" length ( the longest they make). It was also detachable so I didn't have to deal with a bustle Smile
  • I wanted chapel length, but ended up with a semi-cathedral train. It works.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I have a cathedral lenght train, but I am also getting married in a cathedral. It just seemed wrong to have anything else :-)
  • edited March 2010
    The following link is to a Martha Stewart Weddings' fabric glossary. The previous pages are about various silhouettes. It was a good starting point for me.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/the-perfect-dress-for-you?page=9

My dress has a barely-there court train, but I will be wearing a rather long mantilla style veil that will be taken off after the ceremony. I didn't want a long train because my wedding is outdoors (both ceremony and reception) and I didn't want to have to worry with a bustle.
  • i thought that I  wanted a long train, and after trying on hundreds of dresses I fell in love with a dress that as a short train. My dress is also satin and is a litle heavier so a smaller train works best.  Try on hundreds of different kinds of dresses, you may be surprised what you fall in love with!
    GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards