Moms and Maids

Parents Contribution

So, my Mom mentioned back when I was first engaged that my parents were going to contribute money towards our wedding, but said nothing specific to an amount or any idea of what they wanted to do. Since then, the topic has come up once with her saying they could pay for the caterering...which was mentioned when my Mom had had a considerable amount of wine to drink, lol.
I know it is extremely tacky to be asking for money, but in our budgeting we would like to know if my parents still plan to contribute.  Should I wait for them to bring it up again, or should I bring it up?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Parents Contribution

• I would mention it in a non "GIVE ME MONEY" type way. I'd wait until you are talking wedding with her. Just tell her that you've been looking at venues, menus, etc and that you recalled she had said they would help with the catering costs.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Ditto PP.  Don't just out of the blue up and say "Hey, you said you wanted to help with the costs how much are we talking here?"  But since she did bring it up originally it's okay to try and clarify the point; let it come up a little more naturally and try to give her an easy out in case their financial situation has changed.
  • I'm a MOB and I think you can sit down with her and ask her to please define what she means by helping with the catering.  Have a very thankful attitude from the beginning so it is received well.  Since SHE brought it up, you have every right to politely ask her to tell you exactly what she is thinking about.  You can't plan until you know.  You didn't bring this up, she did!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_parents-contribution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:c490275d-994e-4983-a70a-8c41db0c5d70Post:231a3f40-a899-4157-b862-2e618ef1d5ef">Re: Parents Contribution</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a MOB and I think you can sit down with her and ask her to please define what she means by helping with the catering.  Have a very thankful attitude from the beginning so it is received well.  Since SHE brought it up, you have every right to politely ask her to tell you exactly what she is thinking about.  You can't plan until you know.  You didn't bring this up, she did!
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

This! Be gracious in your acceptance and because she's paying for the catering, make sure to include her in those vendor visits!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you all for your advice!
    I am going to visit them this weekend, and they asked that I bring my "book" over, so I think this might be a good time to approach the topic. I didn't want to make them feel pressured to contribute anything, but we will be very thankful for whatever they want to give!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards