Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Re: ...

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:daaf7088-109c-421f-b834-051e8312cb59">...</a>:
    [QUOTE] Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a few days now but through I would just jump in with my most pressing question! I'm looking forward to the sage advice offered by you ladies.

My fiancé and I have a VERY low budget, but a very large guest list. We have our venue and attire and are trying to make everything else fit now. We are considering doing something different in order to save on catering costs. We would like to serve an appetiser and dessert for the main meal, and then we will have cupcakes later at night. Our ceremony is at 5:00pm, with dinner starting at 6:30pm.

The problem is, with our budget broken down by guest, we can only afford about $11 per person. Our guests are all really close friends and family and will definitely understand our budget concerns! That said, do you think this is just not a good thing to do. We'll serve a heavy app, so no one will be starving.

Thank you ladies!!
    Posted by Judell789[/QUOTE]

Since I don't think the post was quoted in its entirety and the back button on my browser is genius, here's the original post before it was rudely deleted.

I'm obv. having a cranky day, but the way the OP is reacting just blows my mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know that you think that people are being rude since they do not share the opinion that seafood bruschetta is a non-traditional meal, but it just isn't. You have to consider your guests and feed them appropriately during your mealtime reception.
    Based on the 'menu' that you have at this point, I would not be sticking around to even see the cupcakes because I do not eat seafood. As a guest, I would look around at your fancy venue and feel slighted by the fact that I couldn't even have some chicken or something else of substance. It isn't too much to ask since it is dinnertime, after all.  With the funds that you have available, it would be a good idea to look around and price heavy apps/meals/action stations with a catering company or your venue. Pasta stations are really popular and cost effective--pasta fills people up quickly. Throw in some meat/veggie selections for people to add and you're on your way to making it work.
  • Options
    OP - I gave you a $10/pers option for a full meal.  What's the problem with hosting that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It is 'peasant' behavior to ignore guest comfort so that you can show off. It is 'peasant' behavior to ignore good faith advice, and return it with insults. It is 'peasant' behavior to pretend to ask for advice when you have no intention of listening to a single word of it. You are classless in a very breathtaking manner. That is what people will remember about your wedding.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:55912fe1-b0ae-4bb4-8e03-1089391f4492">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP - I gave you a $10/pers option for a full meal.  What's the problem with hosting that?
    Posted by CALEO[/QUOTE]

I appreciate it, I really do, I just don't like pasta.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:4aa8fd2e-6a3c-47ee-83e4-c49f7b119cb9">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ... : I appreciate it, I really do, I just don't like pasta.

A reception is a thank you to your guests, you should be considering them in your planning. I'm curious, have you been to any weddings?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:4aa8fd2e-6a3c-47ee-83e4-c49f7b119cb9">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ... : I appreciate it, I really do, I just don't like pasta.

Your guests will take one look at your "fancy venue" and they'll stop giving a sh*t what you like the minute they realize you aren't feeding them.

Good luck with that. Troll.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:907445c0-0591-4752-8bdd-12ca342540a9">Re: Alternative meal for low budget wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]none of my guests have seafood allergies.<strong> I come from a seafood loving area</strong> and My guests will be thrilled with the food! No one we're inviting is a vegetarian either. I think it will work out. So if I call it a meal instead of an appetizer then that should eliminate any of the ore-judgments I've gotten here I would think.

I'm originally from Maine, which is decidedly a seafood loving area, and I dislike most seafood. Lobster and crab--love. Shrimp, scallops, mussels, fish-I'm out. 

Yes, I'm sure will love the piece o' bruschetta that they'll be provided. They'll likely want some more. Are you also under the impression that they don't have appetites? Feed them, Seymour.
  • Options
    Yes I've been to several weddings and don't appreciate your condescending tone. I definitely do not remember the food at these weddings, I remember the beauty of the event and how much fun it was. and to the person who called me classless, you are a monster.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ... : I appreciate it, I really do,<strong> I just don't like pasta.
    </strong>Posted by Judell789[/QUOTE]

Well I don't like seafood and FI is allergic to it. It isn't all about you.

If we showed up at some "fancy" venue with a bazillion guests and you served us fish on a cracker, we'd take our card and gift check and go out to dinner.

You need to serve dinner. Seafood bruschetta is not dinner. Period.

I'm sorry you failed to budget for all of your guests, but that's your problem now. You should have picked a cheaper venue or cut your guest list. This is something every single bride deals with. You are not special.

You asked if it went against etiquette, and we answered you. Now you're butthurt because people didn't give you the answer you wanted. That's not our fault.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:5d15e6e1-f254-41ae-b578-c605fa92586e">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I've been to several weddings and don't appreciate your condescending tone. I definitely do not remember the food at these weddings, I remember the beauty of the event and how much fun it was. and to the person who called me classless, you are a monster.

So at your reception, what else do you have planned?  Will there be dancing? What type of venue is it?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jlm9113jlm9113 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    The other option is that if you are hosting alcohol, scrap the alcohol (although that doesn't mean that you should have a cash bar; it means scrap the alcohol) and use that money for food.  If you have any money left over, you can host house wine only or something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:5d15e6e1-f254-41ae-b578-c605fa92586e">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I've been to several weddings and don't appreciate your condescending tone. <strong>I definitely do not remember the food at these weddings,</strong> I remember the beauty of the event and how much fun it was. and to the person who called me classless, you are a monster.

<div>You would remember it if you left early because you weren't served anything but a piece of toast with some seafood on it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I highly doubt that you know with 100% certainty that everyone can eat what you're serving.  I can't eat raw tomatoes, but it's not like it's a common allergy, and it's pretty avoidable, so it's not something I ever mention when RSVPing to a wedding, for example.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:86bbc277-61e6-4e4d-a630-f77c67adf6ed">Re: Alternative meal for low budget wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your cousin is making one appetizer?  How many does that work out to per person?  What if someone doesn't like the one available bit of food or is allergic to it? I swear, I'm not trying to be a pain, but one appetizer per person plus some cheese and crackers and a cupcake isn't going to go over well at dinner time.  I'd rather have some cheap food at a fancy restaurant venue than no food at all.  Have you watched Four Weddings at all?  I've been home recently during the day and caught a few.  <strong>There was one where the girls got no food and actually ordered italian to the venue because they were so hungry.  People will do this. </strong> Part of being a good host is offering food, drink and entertainment.  That's your job as host.  Please, please find a way to offer more food even if that means "cheap" food in your "fancy" venue. EDIT: And no, I don't mean cheese and crackers.  I mean some meat and vegetable.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

<div>I've been at a wedding where it happened. People ordered pizza because they were so hungry. It was a lunchtime wedding and pretty much all they had was cake, mints, and Chex mix (and, no, OP, I don't think what you're serving is multitudes more filling than that). Also, the reception was over in about 45 minutes. And that's the last people leaving (my friend was in the wedding, so we were among the last to leave). Seriously, people are going to think your venue is pretty and then they're going to jet. I don't know how long you're paying for, but it would suck to pay for a 4-5 hour reception in a classy venue only to have it be empty in an hour. Especially if you're paying for a band or DJ. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:006a878a-ddd2-4164-93fe-283a678c3924">Re: Alternative meal for low budget wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Alternative meal for low budget wedding : I'm originally from Maine, which is decidedly a seafood loving area, and I dislike most seafood. Lobster and crab--love. Shrimp, scallops, mussels, fish-I'm out.  Yes, I'm sure will love the piece o' bruschetta that they'll be provided. They'll likely want some more. Are you also under the impression that they don't have appetites? <strong>Feed them, Seymour.</strong>
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

Feed them all night long.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:...:[QUOTE]Yes I've been to several weddings and don't appreciate your condescending tone. I definitely do not remember the food at these weddings, I remember the beauty of the event and how much fun it was.

and to the person who called me classless, you are a monster. Posted by Judell789[/QUOTE]

This is the most amusing thing i've seen in a while. I honestly laughed really hard.

I'll be sure to tell my wellfed guests after their 4th course in the meal that i'm terrible. They'll probably toast me with their sparkling wine. And guess what? I had to pick the less fancy venue to give them all of that.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:5d15e6e1-f254-41ae-b578-c605fa92586e">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I've been to several weddings and don't appreciate your condescending tone. I definitely do not remember the food at these weddings, I remember the beauty of the event and how much fun it was. and to the person who called me classless, you are a monster.

You may not remember the meal served, but you would if you were starved after.  Just look back a few pages for my example.  I don't remember what I ate at any weddings (except for the one a few weeks back), but I surely remember only getting carrots at said wedding, which by the way was 3 yrs ago....

• Options
    Judell789Judell789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    We have a band and a partial bar. The first two drinks are paid for. I suppose we could make the first drink only paid for and then serve something extra. And to the person who said you would take your gift and leave, how incredibly selfish!! I'm lucky none of my family would act that way. they have manners and sympathy. most of you can just f off
  • Options
    If I was a guest at your wedding and dinner was fruit salad and bruchetta I would not be impressed. I would be calling in chinese takeout before the last 'dinner' gets served.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread for dinner under $11 a person.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:8042ccdd-e7e8-4323-b6c0-09fd83615596">Re: ...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a band a partial bar. The first two drinks are paid for. I suppose we could make the first drink only paid for and then serve something extra.

I don't think anyone will be there long enough to hear the band.  Unless they are playing while the piece of bruschetta is being served?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Honestly, and I'm really not trying to be mean, but the one wedding I went to where I wasn't fed enough, I remember feeling sick. I can't tell you what the venue looked like. I can't tell you what her dress looked like. I can tell you that I felt like I was going to pass out because my blood sugar had dropped pretty badly and that I was pissed I missed out on dancing the night away because of the sick feeling.

The one wedding I went to with BBQ (peasant food), I remember the food being AWESOME (even if it is declasse) and I remember everything about her dress, the venue, and the night because I was happy, full, and feeling fine.

If you don't like pasta, how about some nice salads? you could probably even make those yourself. Or quiche? Not that expensive, always look beautiful, satify anyone who may not like a certain type of meat/fish/poultry, and eggs are very sustaining and filling.
  • Options
    MegenQMegenQ member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    When I read the mealetizer option, all I could think of the tainted seafood in Drop Dead Gorgeous. Don't they say that food should be a significant portion of the budget? Sorry it was not budgeted for, but I can tell you that if I was at a wedding and even if I love the mealetizer option I would leave the moment that I realized that was it for dinner. I would try somewhere like sam's club and get meat trays, veggie trays, hell, any type of trays to feed everyone. Edited with band comment: does the band know that they will not be feed, because it not they maybe the ones leaving to get food as well as the guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I entertain a lot and have helped many family and friends on shoe string budgets.  You can dress anything up and make it look fancy.  You don't have to serve the pasta/BBQ/spaghetti in aluminum panes or boxes, get with your mom/grandma/family and put together nice serving dishes.  It will take more work on your part or anyone you can enlist to help you, but it can be done.  The presentation can more than make up for the "peasant food" . 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:8bce5653-1da4-4f7a-a02d-2a192cef08dd">Re:...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:...:

This is the most amusing thing i've seen in a while. I honestly laughed really hard.

I'll be sure to tell my wellfed guests after their 4th course in the meal that i'm terrible. They'll probably toast me with their sparkling wine. And guess what? I had to pick the less fancy venue to give them all of that.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Ohh we've got a princess on the board!! Food lasts 20 minutes. Your ugly venue will last forever in photographs. Good choice, genius.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:6a5462e6-5630-45d9-97d7-0183b52d8405">Re:...</a>:
    [QUOTE]mealetizer
    Posted by MegenQ[/QUOTE]

win!
  • Options
    how many guests are you having?

What about

veggie tray
    humus, spinach and artichoke, olive tapanade, blue cheese, ranch dips
    pita, crackers, crustinis, 
    Imported and domestic cheese tray
    tomato bruschetta
    chicken statays  
    beef statays
    stuffed mushrooms
    potstickers

You can get most of the items at a warehouse club (sam's, costco, etc) for less than a $1 a piece. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Interesting how she keeps responding to her "closed" post....
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:ccd82d87-8e6d-486e-b72f-f1797fe85bab">Re:...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:... : Ohh we've got a princess on the board!! Food lasts 20 minutes. Your ugly venue will last forever in photographs. Good choice, genius.

I actually really believe that people this clueless exist, but now you've given yourself away as a troll.  You were fun while you lasted.
  • Options
    OP, when is your wedding?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alternative-meal-for-low-budget-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6a49251-d94d-4f36-9279-cd66a7869fd7Post:ccd82d87-8e6d-486e-b72f-f1797fe85bab">Re:...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:... : Ohh we've got a princess on the board!! Food lasts 20 minutes. Your ugly venue will last forever in photographs. Good choice, genius.

Your EMPTY venue will last forever in photos too, once everyone there leaves because you're not feeding them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards