North Carolina

Just engaged + a few questions =)

Hey ladies!!!

I think I might have posted once on this board, but besides that...I'm new!

I am a kindergarten teacher and my FI is a marketing research analyst.  We are both originally from different parts of NY, but we want to get married in NC where we met at school.

My FI and I both went to Wake Forest and he proposed right next to the chapel last week!  We are beyond excited to start the whole planning process.  How long are all of your engagements???  We want to get married in June, but don't know if it should be this June or June 2012.  We're both visiting family this holiday season where we will be hammering out budget questions and then can hopefully start figuring out a few things.

Any W-S area brides out there?  We're thinking about getting married in Wait Chapel on Wake's campus...but we are not sure about a reception location.  Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Re: Just engaged + a few questions =)

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome!

By the time FI and I get married, we'll have been engaged 2 days shy of 13 months. I think that if you can get the church and reception venues (and whatever other vendors are important to you), then you can definitely get married this June. Otherwise, you can wait until 2012. 

Is there any reason why you want to get married in June specifically, Could you maybe push it to August/September to give you just a little more time?

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide!
  • jgcohnjgcohn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We like to spread out events and my b-day is in April, his is in Aug. so June is halfway between.  Also, being a teacher...summers are free for me so I can easily go on a honeymoon then and then if we ever want to take trips on our anniversary in the future, it will be easy for me to go then. 
  • edited December 2011
    congrats! this june is definitely doable, if you can get the location you want. FI and I chose an extended engagement so he could finish his master's degree before the wedding- we got engaged right before the economy crashed. so we'll be just shy of 3 YEARS when we get marriedin may, LOL!

this board is awesome though, and as long as you can flex on some of your vendors (many may already be booked for this june, as it's a pretty popular month), you should be fine!
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TinyTRex321TinyTRex321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  I wouldn 't mind a shorter engagment. I'll be engaged for a year when we get married, which is probably pretty average. I feel like the more time you have the more choices you end up having and making. I'm not very picky about a lot of the details though!  Good luck with your planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have almost two years till my wedding. Personally I don't want to rush it. It's such an exciting time and you have SO much to do. If you're going to do June 2011, maybe consider getting a planner. The two "do overs" I have heard from my friends who are now married are that they would give themselves more time to plan and hire a wedding planner. Plus the world is supposed to end in 2012 so I think it's fun to say a big F you to stupid predictions like that, but that is just me.
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome!  I'm in Charlotte and our engagement is 16 months, and as everyone's said you can definitely do June so long as your sites are still available and you're willing to be flexible with the other vendors.  Some of your first choices will most likely already be booked, but if you're cool with that then June is doable!

Happy planning!  The girls on here are great, especially for vendor recs :)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! My FI and I are students at Wake now. (Actually, I just graduated this Dec.). That is really exciting about the proposal, we did our engagemnet pics at Wake. I know another couple who is getting married in Wait Chapel, I think they are planning on having the reception in the Mag (Magnolia) Room. As long as you are ok with Aramark doing the food, that is a good option since personally I think the room is nice. I'm not sure what the other reception options would be Wake-wise, I definitely think the Mag room is probably the best bet. There are some other options in Winston-Salem, though. We are getting married in Winston-Salem at my family's home.

I agree with PP that it is possible to do a June 2011 wedding. Good luck =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Where in NY are you two from?
  • jgcohnjgcohn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!!!!

This is my first trip home to my parents after the proposal...so after discussing things alllll day, I think we will probably wait until 2012.  That way we can really plan during the summer when I don't have much else to worry about and won't feel rushed or anything.

Coffee--I'm from Long Island and Adam is from Buffalo.  Pizza and buffalo wings will be a staple in our house =)

Anna---Congrats on your graduation!!!  Feels good, doesn't it?!?  We want to do our engagement pictures at Wake too!  We think it suits us since we went there and that is where he popped the question!  Who did you use as your photographer??
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Waiting until 2012 will definitely give you the best chance of getting all the vendors you want :)  Especially since schools chapels tend to book WAY in advance!

We are getting married this coming June (got engaged the beginning of September) and it was really hard to find a date where the church, reception, and chosen photographer could all do.  We were left with only June 25th still available with all 3 so we really didn't have much of a choice!  So if you are still even considering this June, I would start calling asap!  For me, that was the most stressful part of all the planning so far!

Good Luck!
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses - but they will be in BLACK!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio!
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_just-engaged-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:2ce6fb6b-91bb-4cb8-ac64-91c67cf608d8Post:df3dd00d-0e5d-43c5-92e8-34034e48bade">Re: Just engaged + a few questions =)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the welcome everyone!!!! This is my first trip home to my parents after the proposal...so after discussing things alllll day, I think we will probably wait until 2012.  That way we can really plan during the summer when I don't have much else to worry about and won't feel rushed or anything.<strong> Coffee--I'm from Long Island and Adam is from Buffalo.  Pizza and buffalo wings will be a staple in our house =)</strong> Anna---Congrats on your graduation!!!  Feels good, doesn't it?!?  We want to do our engagement pictures at Wake too!  We think it suits us since we went there and that is where he popped the question!  Who did you use as your photographer??
    Posted by jgcohn[/QUOTE]

Yum! I'm from near Albany. So yeah. No real food staples.
  • edited December 2011
    It feels amazing. I'm sure you can understand how mind blowing it is. It is really difficult to get it through my brain I don't need to be constantly studying right now.

Our friend, Joel Ang, is doing our photography. I don't know where he will be in 2012. But you are welcome to take a look at his work: http://spokenfor.com/ . If you look up "Spoken For Photography" on facebook you can find his page which has way more pics. Our engagement pics along with the friends I mentioned are on there and could at least give you some ideas about some shots to do at Wake. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah! Another Triad bride! It's about time!

Not to discourage you, but I have personally been surprised at the shortage of vendor options in the area throughout my planning.  We got engaged at the end of July, and at that time we were already finding that many, many places were booked up.  You may be doing yourself a disservice to try and cram for this coming June... even August could prove to be a bit easier.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and call Wake/Wait Chapel immediately to ask about availability-- for June 2011 AND 2012. 
    If you want a "Wake Forest" reception, I'd suggest looking into Deacon Tower or Bridger Field House.  I've attended many receptions at Bridger and I think it's a great space. Catered Affairs is the name of the company (formerly RuMac) that does all the catering for WF locations, and they do an awesome job.  Magnolia Room is great too, although I'm not sure where that food comes from Tongue out

If you're looking for an off-site reception within reasonable driving distance, I'd take a look at places like the Millenium Center, Brookstown Inn, or Pinebrook Country Club.  I believe all of those locations are all-inclusive as well. 

Good luck with everything! Let me know if I can be of any help.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    OH MY GOSH- don't know how I forgot to mention Graylyn Estate. Beautiful and literally seconds down the road.

I know all these places I'm suggesting probably seem outrageously expensive, but in my own effort to save moolah by doing things separately (venue + outside catering + cake + rentals), I think we are ending up spending more money anyway.  Bah.

A couple of my fave local photographers have blogs that could give you a few more ideas:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Congrats and welcome to the board -- everyone here has been great and wonderful :)

The FI and I will have been engaged for 17 months when we get married in April!  That longer engagement definately helped me with the planning, and having time to enjoy being engaged.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2011 Siggy Challenge: Hair
  • jgcohnjgcohn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the info/advice!!!

Elcobb...I didn't even think about Deacon Tower or Bridger Field House!! I'll be passing those ideas along to FI.  I also LOVED those photographers.  I had come across Frank Jin in my google searches, but I have not seen Vesic before.  Those are definitely my favorites so far!!  Where are you having your ceremony/reception??? 

We will definitely be waiting until 2012.  We're trying to figure out ceremony and reception sites as early as we can to be sure we get our top choices (whenever we figure out what those may be...). 
  • edited December 2011
    We got engaged 9-5-10 & our wedding is 11-11-11 so overall about a 14 month engagement. Our ceremony and reception will be at the Millennium Center in downtown Winston-Salem, though we had originally booked Harmon House in Kernersville. Millennium Center just blew us away so I started from scratch.

Happy planning :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • K8NKCK8NKC member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    heeeeeey i went to wake too!! :) i don't really have anything to add, i was going to recommend graylyn, but it seems someone beat me to it. i have a friend that is getting married in wait chapel this summer and they've had a rather long engagement, but i'm not sure if that's because of having to book the venue so far in advance or some other reason, so i would check into that.
  • FutureMrsP23FutureMrsP23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Winston-Salem bride, getting married October 15, 2011.  Been engaged since May 2010.  I would say to look outside of the box for a reception site, especially since you're a kindergarten teacher.  The Children's Museum, The Enrichment Center and SciWorks can all be used as reception facilities.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hey "jgcohn" I was wondering if you'd be showing up around here! I don't know if we ever got actually introduced at a tailgate but my fiance and I tailgate at the Grassy Knoll and know Adam and have probably spoken to you before! I'm getting married in Wait Chapel this June and am pretty much finished with my planning process. If you send me a PM with your email address, I can send you a few of the excel sheets I've made up! (I'll PM this to you as well in case you don't see this)

My reception is at The Enrichment Center and Visions Catering is doing our food and some parts of our centerpeices. We're getting flowers from the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market and doing our own music. Oh and our photographer is Frank Jin - he's fantastic!!

June 2011 Siggy Challenge "Can't Live Without It" Snack
    Breyers Mint Chocolate Chip
    Lucky I'm in love with my best friend!
    June 4, 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards