North Carolina-Outer Banks

All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up!

Hi ladies!

As many of us newer brides are deep in the planning stages and have lots of questions, I thought it might be really helpful to have a central listing of all our vendors in the OBX so we may be able to use each other as resources if we are planning/thinking of using the same vendors.  Some of the details have been on recent threads, so apologies on repeating details- I just thought one thread on vendors alone may be helpful, fill in as little or as much as you like:

Date:
Ceremony Location:
Reception Location:
Officiant:
Florist:
Coordinator/Planner:
Music (Ceremony/Reception):
Caterer:
Photographer/Videotographer
Housing company/Hotel/Motels used:
Anything else I missed:

Anything to note on any of the above?  Anyone jump out with a great deal or service, etc?

Re: All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up!

• jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will start, but dont have all too much planned :)

Date: Thursday, June 21, 2012
    Ceremony Location: Marshes Lighthouse, Manteo
    Reception Location: 108 Budleigh
    Officiant: Rev Jay Bowman
    Florist: TBD
    Coordinator/Planner: Kerri from The Proper Setting
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): TBD
    Caterer: I think we are going with Ortega'z
    Photographer/Videotographer: TBD
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: TBD
    Anything else I missed:

Anything to note on any of the above?  Anyone jump out with a great deal or service, etc?
  • HStaffordHStafford member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a detailed post a couple days back on each but have graded each of my vendors below:

Date: June 3, 2011
    Ceremony Location: Grande Bahamian Event Home (B)
    Reception Location: Grande Bahamian Event Home (B)
    Officiant: Jay Bowman (A+)
    Florist: Bells and Whistles (C)
    Coordinator/Planner: Marie with Bordeaux Events (A)
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): Ceremony - Roy Murray (A), Reception - Matt Cooper (A)
    Caterer: Argyles (A-/B+)
    Photographer/Videotographer: Kristi Midgette (A)
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Resort Realty (B-)
    Anything else I missed:

• rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Date: August 6, 2011
    Ceremony Location: NC Aquarium in Manteo Sound side
    Reception Location: NC Aquarium Neptune's Theater
    Officiant: Rande Banks
    Florist: Holly Hall of I Do Florals
    Coordinator/Planner: I'm planning everything but a good friend is gonna direct.
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): My iPod
    Caterer: The Red Sky Cafe
    Photographer/Videotographer: Michele Denotter out of Apex
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: First Colony Inn and rental house
    Anything else I missed:

Holly with I Do Florals has been great.  I sent her a couple of pictures of the bouquets I wanted and she was honest and gave me suggestions.

The girls at the Aquarium have been super helpful.  I'm sure they're tired of opening up their emails everyday and seeing my name but they've never complained and are ALWAYS friendly.

Erik Kallestad with Red Sky Cafe was extremely prompt in answering my emails and calls.

I went to high school with Michele Denotter.  She specializes in children and families but recently did a wedding shoot for a friend and fell in love with it so she's doing wedding shoots for free for this year only.  The only thing I have to pay is her travel...MAJOR SCORE!
    Anniversary
  • jkramasjkramas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rebecca- MAJOR score on Michele Denotter!  I just looked her up and she does great work.  That is incredible! 

Heather- love the grading system :)

...back to work, lunch break is over
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great idea J! Here's mine:

Date: 10-9-11
    Ceremony Location: Beach front of Pearl Restaurant in KDH
    Reception Location: Pearl Restaurant
    Officiant: Bringing our own from home
    Florist: SugarSnaps Events (Shirley)
    Coordinator/Planner: Bringing from home too
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): Mike Smith
    Caterer: The Pearl
    Photographer/Videotographer Ginger Harvey of GingerSnaps
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Sea Ranch Hotel (attached to our venue)
    Anything else I missed: Not that I can think of...

I cannot say enough good things about Shirley from SugarSnaps. Her designs are amazing & reasonably priced. She's so creative and responds to emails/calls quickly. Trish, the Pearl's manager, has also been helpful in organizing and planning. However, the real reason we chose the The Pearl was for it's location and attached hotel convenience for our OOT guests.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

jkramas - I know, I couldn't believe it.  She's doing them for free this year to build up her portfolio.  You should check into her as I think her rates are more reasonable than most who have been in the business longer. 

We had originally booked the Marshes Lighthouse as well but after our reception idea was thrown to the wayside by my mom we decided to go with the aquarium.  I do love the lighthouse though. Since the deposit it non-refundable we're still going to use it to take photos after the reception so it won't be a complete waste of money.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Date: 10.9.11
    Ceremony Location: on the beach outside our event rental home
    Reception Location: Brindley Beach Rental in Corolla:  Turtle Key
    Officiant: Rev. Jay Bowman
    Florist: Maggi at the Harris Teeter in Kitty Hawk
    Coordinator/Planner: I am planning and a friend from home will be in charge the day of. 
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): DJ Tommy Midgett
    Caterer: High Cotton BBQ
    Photographer/Videotographer: Carl from Photography by Geri
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: our house is Brindley Beach, several guests are at the Hampton Inn in Corolla
    Anything else I missed:

• llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Date:  May 25. 2012
    Ceremony Location: Beach in Corolla/**see below
    Reception Location:  Gertrude's Breakaway even home
    Officiant:  My grandpa/**see below
    Florist:  Me!
    Coordinator/Planner:  Umm...also me!  But I'm going to ask a friend or an aunt to be in charge day of
    Music (Ceremony/Reception):  FI's aunt on the clarinet and uncle on the violin
    Caterer:  Black Pelican
    Photographer/Videotographer/Photobooth: Ryan of Coastal Shots photography
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Beach Realty NC has Gertrude's Breakaway and several other houses in the culdesac and the subdivision; the Hampton Inn in Corolla
    Anything else I missed:  Rentals from Metro and DJ will probably be Barryoke but we haven't officially booked him (we met him at the expo and just totally clicked with him)

Anything to note on any of the above?  Anyone jump out with a great deal or service, etc?  So we're both Catholic and want to have a Catholic wedding and in this diocese you can't get married outside.  But we also really want a ceremony on the beach because our first date was to a beach, he proposed on a beach, and we generally love the beach.  So we're thinking right now that late Friday morning we'll have a mass at the Holy Redeemer by the Sea and then have the evening ceremony on the beach.  If we do it this way, the priest will be legally marrying us and we will have my grandpa "officiate" on the beach.  We'll invite everyone to the mass but we're going to make the beach ceremony the important one (like the mass will just be an insert in our invitations but the beach will be the main event). 

Also Black Pelican has been great ot work with so far.  Coastal shots gave us a GREAT deal on the photography and the photobooth.  He seems pretty new to the wedding game, but I'm sure he'll be great!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Date: September 16, 2011
    Ceremony Location: Beach ceremony in S. Nags Head
    Officiant:  Reverend William T. Clarke
    Florist: My FMIL....it's a nice perk that she used to arrange florals :)
    Coordinator/Planner: Me, Myself and I...and she is fabulous btw, lol!
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): DJ John Harper
    Caterer: Coastal Provisions
    Photographer/Videotographer: Outer Banks Productions
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Village Realty
    Anything else I missed:

My photographer...I cannot say enough good things about him and his wife!  We were on the phone for over an hour the other night and shared stories of how we met our sig. others, our backgrounds and just funny random stories.  I am sure this is the first of many phone calls like this.  Doug makes you feel so relaxed, as if you have known him forever.  I highly recommend him to anyone!

If anyone is able to attend the OBX Wedding Expo in January.....GO!  It is a great chance to see everything all at once, meet with vendors face to face to get that personal feel and you can also get really good discounts from caterers, phtographers, etc. by attending.  Ohhh and of course, who doesn't love to win goodies & prizes?  They give away everything from gift cards, gift baskets, hotel stays and even a $25,000 dream wedding....I have never seen so many brides all in one room, just clutching those tickets and just waiting for their name to be called, it was a fun moment to watch :)

• dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Date: April 28, 2011
    Ceremony Location: Holy Redeemer by the Sea, Kitty Hawk
    Reception Location: Twiddy's Rendezvous, Corolla
    Officiant: Father John Dorgan
    Florist: Sugar Snap Events, Shirley Cook
    Coordinator/Planner: Did not have
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): Ceremony - Kim Kalman (guitar and vocals) w/ Leslie Erickson (violin); Reception - Matt Cooper; Rehearsal Dinner - Buster B Curtis
    Caterer: Red Sky, Eric Kallestad - my wedding MVP!  
    Photographer/Videotographer: Maria Claridge (a friend/ amazing wedding photographer from Florida, I flew her in, I'm sure most of you wouldn't do that, but she is really worth it :) )
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Group rates @ Sanderling, Hampton Inn
    Anything else I missed: Rehearsal dinner - Aqua S, Lynette Sumner

I would recommend every single person I worked with - they were all rock stars.  Particular props to Eric @ Red Sky, Shirley @ Sugar Snap, Lynette @ Aqua S, and my fabulous friend and photographer Maria.  

Only minor complaint is that Twiddy response time to issues at the house was not great.  Details in my review post from early May.  

Holy Redeemer is a nice church, but don't get me started on the crazy hoops you have to jump through to get married out of state in the Catholic Church!!  If anyone has questions about this process, please feel free to send me a PM.  :)
  • HStaffordHStafford member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

dwfan - I forgot about Aqua S!!  We also had our rehearsal dinner there - absolutely fabulous!!  Everything about it... from Lynette, to the arrangement of several bars, the sunset, the food (out of this world), everything was great there!

• llilleyllilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    dwfan - YGPM! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Date: 9.17.11
    Ceremony Location: on the beach at First Colony Inn
    Reception Location: First Colony Inn
    Officiant: A friend from home
    Florist: Also a friend from home
    Coordinator/Planner: ^ same friend:)
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): Sue Artz (Artz OBX)
    Caterer: Lone Cedar Cafe
    Photographer/Videographer: Matt Artz
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used:  First Colony Inn
    Anything else I missed:
    rehearsal dinner: Aqua S

Glad to hear great reviews about Aqua S! FMIL lives in Duck, so she is arranging all of that
  • edited December 2011
    Date: June 24, 2011
    Ceremony Location: The Pearl
    Reception Location: The Peal
    Officiant: Pat Walden
    Florist: Sugar Snap (love)
    Coordinator/Planner: none, though Shirley helped get me started when I had questions
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): ipod... we were looking into Greg Shelton but he ended up having a date mix-up with another bride.
    Caterer: The Pearl
    Photographer/Videotographer Island Photography (love) with Mike and Allie
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Sun Realty
    Anything else I missed: We're using Ocean Atlantic for chairs and Linen Hero for linens

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Date:  10/11/11
    Ceremony Location:  On the beach in front of our beach home
    Reception Location:  At our beach house, Ocean Blue through Brindley Beach
    Officiant:  Marsha Johnson
    Florist:  I bought my flowers online through etsy.com.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/71307073/real-touch-roses-and-hydrangea-
    tiffany
    Coordinator/Planner:  Myself!  Thanks to you girls and all your advice!
    Music (Ceremony/Reception):  We're going to do ipod for reception, ceremony I'm still thinking if I want to do ipod or hire someone to play.
    Caterer:  Red Sky Cafe
    Photographer/Videotographer:  Outer Banks Productions
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used:  Brindley Beach oceanfront home called Ocean Blue.  Family to stay with us.  Friends to stay in hotels in Kitty Hawk
    Anything else I missed:  Cake!  We're using Great Cakes!
  • edited December 2011
    Date: 10/21/11
    Ceremony Location: 4X4 beaches (Corolla, NC) The Dream event home
    Reception Location: The Dream event home (through TWIDDY)
    Officiant: Rev. Jay Bowman
    Florist: My planner Heather Clark (The Twisted Pearl)
    Coordinator/Planner: Heather Clark
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): DJ Bruce (speaker on the beach for ceremony & doing reception afterward at the house)
    Caterer: Kelly's
    Photographer/Videotographer: Julie Dreelin Beach Productions
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: TWIDDY && most of guests are staying at the Hampton Inn
    Anything else I missed: We are using Great Cakes! && I'm using Corolla Shuttle for transportation to and from the event home :)

Hope this helps... so far so good with all my vendors!

• edited December 2011
    Date: September 20, 2011
    Ceremony Location: Beach
    Reception Location: "tequila sunrise" event home, Nags Head
    Florist: Myself...using Harris Teeter
    Coordinator/Planner: Myself, Mom, and BM's
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): Barry...can't think of his last night right now! ha
    Caterer: Culinary Magic
    Photographer/Videotographer Chris Neito
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Village Realty
    Anything else I missed:

• edited December 2011
    **we haven't really planned anything yet! ahhh! I need to get on the ball!**
    Date: 6.23.2012
    Ceremony Location: either Mt. Olivet UMC in Manteo or St. Andrew's By the Sea in Nags Head
    Officiant: pastor from home (who happens to be my MOH's mom! and my 2nd mom!)
    Coordinator/Planner: Me so far...looking to maybe have a day-of coordinator though
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): my brother will play guitar or piano during the ceremony, and his band from Philly is coming down for the recpetion (ipod will be 1st, then the band about halfway thru!)
    Caterer: TBD - 1st thing on my To Do list
    Photographer/Videotographer: TBD
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: another TBD
    Anything else I missed: nothing for me haha

Anything to note on any of the above? Anyone jump out with a great deal or service, etc?
    You all have been SOOOOO helpful in your reviews and suggestions. I've pretty much become obsessed with checking the board a million times a day. We have so much to do & I feel a little behind, but I know we'll get it together with the info from all of you. Thanks!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    ahhh I too need to get on the ball and do some planning!!

Date:
    May 12, 2012
    Ceremony Location: Marshes Lighthouse, manteo
    Officiant: TBD
    Coordinator/Planner: Me! and a little help from family
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): TBD
    Caterer: Meeting with sooeys bbq, red sky cafe, and ortega'z in July!
    Photographer/Videotographer Coleman Photography, Love their work
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: The island Inn and guesthouses
    Anything else I missed: I need to get on the ball!!!!

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_of-vendors-post-em-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:591cbdce-00fb-4e72-a334-99a4afaf649cPost:6381bf67-f942-4fd6-ab00-038bd542ae52">Re: All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Date: 9.17.11 Ceremony Location: on the beach at First Colony Inn Reception Location: First Colony Inn Officiant: A friend from home Florist: Also a friend from home Coordinator/Planner: ^ same friend:) Music (Ceremony/Reception): Sue Artz (Artz OBX) Caterer: Lone Cedar Cafe Photographer/Videographer: Matt Artz Housing company/Hotel/Motels used:  First Colony Inn Anything else I missed: rehearsal dinner: Aqua S Anything to note on any of the above?  Anyone jump out with a great deal or service, etc? Glad to hear great reviews about Aqua S! FMIL lives in Duck, so she is arranging all of that
    Posted by RussoWill[/QUOTE]

Russo...you are the day after me

I will be thinking about you for sure :)

Teach....you must be getting excited, only 1 week away!  Are you leaving Sunday?

• LinGarrett83LinGarrett83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony Location:The Whalehead Club
    Reception Location:  Aqua S Restaurant
    Florist:  Renee Landry
    Coordinator/Planner:  ME :)
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): Greg Shelton (ceremony), BC (cocktail hour), Matt Cooper (DJ)
    Caterer:  Aqua S
    Photographer/Videotographer: Chris Bickford
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Twiddy, Hampton Inn
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_of-vendors-post-em-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:591cbdce-00fb-4e72-a334-99a4afaf649cPost:15886bcf-5177-41da-926a-31b8ebaee686">Re: All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up! : Russo...you are the day after me I will be thinking about you for sure :) Teach....you must be getting excited, only 1 week away!  Are you leaving Sunday?
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

We're leaving Saturday morning and staying the night in Durham and then driving on over to the OBX on Sunday.  I am pretty excited, though the weather and smoke don't seem to be falling my way.  I'm hoping things change in the week we have left!
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_of-vendors-post-em-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:591cbdce-00fb-4e72-a334-99a4afaf649cPost:e0bde817-45a4-4ac6-8199-7c3d6e627055">Re: All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of YOUR vendors- Post 'em up! : We're leaving Saturday morning and staying the night in Durham and then driving on over to the OBX on Sunday.  I am pretty excited, though the weather and smoke don't seem to be falling my way.  I'm hoping things change in the week we have left!
    Posted by ms_teach[/QUOTE]

Hooray Teach!!! How exciting! Can't wait to hear the details/reviews after (esp since we are using the same venue). Have a wonderful time and I hope the weather takes a turn for the better just in time for your day :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • kmanbergkmanberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When: 8-19-11  coming up quick!!
    Ceremony Location:Beach in Corolla
    Reception Location:  Event home in Currituck Club neighborhood
    Officiant: Grooms aunt/godmother
    Florist:  Dorothy of Bells and Whistles
    Coordinator/Planner: Nannette at the Proper Setting
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): ipod
    Caterer:  Red Sky Cafe
    Rehersal dinner: Probably Currituck Club (needs advice if anyone has any!)
    Photographer/Videotographer: Moving Art Productions
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Carolina Designs, Corolla Light

• edited December 2011
    Date: 5/26/2012
    Ceremony Location: Outside our S.Nags Head rental home
    Officiant: TBD
    Florist: Shirley with Sugar Snaps
    Coordinator/Planner: Me, the fabulous me I might add ;)
    Music (Ceremony/Reception): TBD but thinking about Matt Cooper
    Caterer: The Black Pelican
    Photographer/Videotographer: Matt Lusk Photography
    Housing company/Hotel/Motels used: Comfort Inn, First Colony we think.  My rental home is with Sun Realty but we are getting an awesome price as my mom knows the owner ;)
    Anything else I missed: Cake - Great Cakes

Honorable mention so far to Shirley with Sugar Snaps.  We had a LOW budget of about $500.  We are going very simple (3 orange gerbera daisies for my 6 bridesmaids, only an 8" bouquet for me, 9 simple boutonnieres, four coursages, one huge and beautiful arrangement).  Also Bonnie with 108 Budleigh has been very nice.  The place is gorgeous!  Great Cakes was awesome about helping me to figure out the perfect design for the grooms cake.  They gave us a 10% military discount which was awesome!  I'm so excited to try their Key Lime Bliss cake this fall. 

Emily with the Black Pelican is the absolute best!  I think she's done 8 different quotes for me.  She is the biggest help.  Also, my neighbors about fell off their chairs with excitement when we said we were using the Black Pelican.  Apparently their food is amazing.  I will know in September when I visit!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing mostly everything ourselves, but, we were in a wedding last fall where the Black Pelican catered. They are, BY FAR, the best wedding food I have EVER had! The wedding was on Sept 3rd, the day after Hurricane Earl hit and they were professional and the food was unbelievable, I literally cannot say enough good things about them!!
  • varedbirdvaredbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DATE: July 4, 2011
    CEREMONY LOCATION: Friend's beach house in Rodanthe, on the beach
    RECEPTION LOCATION: Same, friend's beach house in Rodanthe, by the pool
    OFFICIANT: Minister from our church, Chesapeake, VA
    FLORIST: The Embellishers
    COORDINATOR/PLANNER: I am planning, however will use The Embellishers for the day of the wedding.
    CATERER: Black Pelican
    CAKE: Cakes by Robin
    PHOTOGRAPHER: Christine Kelby Photography from Norfolk, VA
    MUSIC for CEREMONY: My future sister-in-law and brother-in-law
    MUSIC for RECEPTION: IPOD
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4th of July varedbird!  Coming quick!!  Good luck and congrats, what a cool anniversary date!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Yes....4th of July is such a neat day to get married on.  You will even have fireworks in your honor, lol :)

Where are you from in VA?  I'm a Richmond girl myself....

• varedbirdvaredbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi OBX2011.  I am from Chesapeake, VA.  Just a few miles from the VA/NC border, off the 168 bypass. 
    July 4 should be an easy anniversary to remember...and hopefully there will always be fireworks!  Unfortunately, Rodanthe does not have fireworks and they are not allowed.  So we hoping to do a bonfire on the beach, with smores!  Wedding is at 10am, followed by a brunch, beach party in the afternon and then BBQ that night.  Hoping for good weather and that the smoke clears out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards