Not Engaged Yet

Furbabies

I have a confession, as much as I love him,  if he wasn't so cute he'd be dead. Seriously!

I'm having work done on the house and the contractor comes and knocks at the door. Our husky runs excitedly to the door, I grab his collar as I open the door and start chatting with the contractor. I realize that he wants to talk more than what I realized, so I go to put the dog back in the house. Now, huskies, atleast this one, love to run and he ain't so good at listening either, the combination of which is just trouble for owners. I didn't get the door shut quickly enough, he bolted out and started running down the street. I abandon the contractor on my front porch and take off after him, in my work clothes and barefeet, sprinting through neighbouring front yards and down the street. Thank god I live on a quiet street because I wasn't even paying attention to the traffic. Fortunately he headed straight for a lady walking her dog (about half a block away) and the woman listened to my pleas for her to grab him.

Anyone else want to kill their pet sometimes?

Re: Furbabies

• edited December 2011
    Lucy poops on the floor.

She spit on my face once.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hahahaha.  That's hilarious now that it's over and he's fine.

I have a story from when I was a kid.  My dog slipped out of his collar when I took him out before bedtime.  He bolted through the neighborhood.  My mom and I drove in the car slowly, yelling for him, and shaking a box of dog biscuits to try and coax him out of hiding.  A neighbor comes out to tell us that my dog (a 20lb dachsund-schnauzer-poodle mix) had our other neighbors big, 50lb, fluff-monster backed into his dog shed and was proceeding to eat the other dog's food.

That dog was trouble, but I loved him.  He'd eat *anything*, and I do mean anything and was sneaky as hell.  You'd turn your back for a second and he'd have something in his mouth.  He ate a sock of mine (inhaled it in 0.5 sec, actually), several pairs of nylons, a few buttons, and some crayons in his lifetime.

Not to be too gross here, but I have vivid memories of him standing outside with a leg of a nylon blowing out of his behind like a windsock. 

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, another favourite. I have to walk him with an easy lead (because he pulls too much for me when he gets excited) that goes around his face (not like a muzzle though) and I guess it rubs his face and irritates him. He walks nicely for me until we get to the post office to get the mail where he proceeds to stick his nose between my thighs to try and rub his nose. So embarassing when there are other people there or when you are in the midst of a conversation...sigh
  • edited December 2011
    I have a Wheaton terrier, Bailey, who we adopted from what we think was an abusive home. He's normally a very sweet-tempered and gentle, but if it's one thing he doesn't like, it's things being taken away from him.

Every so often he'll get into the garbage when my mom has cooked a steak or a pork loin or a chicken and try to find the bones. Not only does this create a HUGE mess all over the kitchen floor, but when anyone tries to take the offending bone away from him, he will bare his teeth, growl and try to bite you. He is not a biter by any means, but when you're trying to get a bone away from him, he gets possessive. He's bitten me, my mom and BF to the point of blood, which is really scary from a usually mild-mannered canine.

But when he makes a mess, gets really possessive over a piece of garbage, and then tries to bite you, I get pretty angry at him. I won't let him sleep in my room on those nights.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • run21run21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chased my cat around the house with a big fat textbook one time. I was trying to study. He wanted to play. So he jumped on the back of the couch, bit the back of my head - hard enough to bleed through my hair - and my first thought was to beat him to a pulp with the book in my hand. Luckily he was pretty fast and I came to my senses quickly. But he was on thin ice for awhile.
  • edited December 2011
    EEE!! I have never heard of a Wheagle! I just looked up a picture - so CUTE! Bailey is so soft and cuddley but boy, is he dumb!

We think his last family abused him because he would not go near my father or brother for months; he would run from the room whenever someone took out a plastic bag, vaccuum cleaner or broom, and he would go to the bathroom on our deck instead of the lawn. But now, after 7 years with us, he's the most affectionate little thing. All he needed was someone to love him!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    a few weeks ago I brought my cat home.  he had been with my parents (and my mom's cat) for a year and a half while i was in an apartment and couldn't have him.  well...he missed my mom's cat so he meowed ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT.  i didn't want to get another cat just to appease him, so after 3 weeks I ended up taking him back to my parents.  i still give my parents money for cat food and litter, but unless we decide to get another cat to keep him company, he is now my parents' cat :(
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    When I got my dog, Maxy, 8 years ago from the shelter, they told me someone had found her wandering the streets and brought her in - she was 9 months old.  They day I brought her home, she was very thin, her hair was matted with tar, she had just been spayed, she had the stomach flu and kennel cough; she hid under the table just shaking. My brother told my mom later that day that he was sure the dog would be dead within a week.  He saw her a month later and asked if I had gotten a new dog.  They just need someone to love them and treat them like family.

She's usually the sweetest, most gentlest dog (although she did attack my brother's dog, twice a couple years ago, went for his ear both times...she's never displayed any kind of aggression toward any other dog - the only thing we can figure is my brother's dog looks just like the dog that attacked her while we were on a walk a few years earlier - she ended up with holes in her rump).  Other than that, about the worst thing she does is interrupt our dinner time.  She LOVES my FI.  As soon as he comes over, she is no longer mommy's girl.  She loves to play fetch (and will do so for hours if you let her) and she waits until we are sat down to eat and brings a toy and puts it in his lap - everytime, without fail...and she'll bark at us if he doesn't throw it right away.
  • BCRockiesBCRockies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my furbabies, although they can be terrors.

Spring, our "5" year old black lab/border collie cross (unsure of her real age as we adopted her from the shelter last year but we think she's older than they said) has separation anxiety. When we moved into our current house, we were excited as it actually had screens on the windows (our last house didn't have this). One morning we went out for breakfast and got a call from our friend 2 doors down that our dog was in their yard (looking for her friends) and the cats were on the driveway. Turns out the cats picked at the screen until it was loose and Spring would head butt it until she could climb out. What a team effort! We now have wooden bars over the living room window so we can keep it open.

They tried this 2 days ago with our bedroom window. The neighbours caught them and shoved them back in before any escape but I'm slightly amused by this as our bedroom window is 6 feet from the ground (living room is 2). So Spring was jumping from our bed to the window while the cats were loosening the screen.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We love our cat, but he is such trouble!  Some memorable ones:
    • Taking my phone "swimming"
    • Removing his own stitches at 3 am two days after surgery, so we got to go to the Emergency Vet in town, 45 minutes away, and pay too much money for him to get staples
    • Bringing his toys over to the Roomba and watching it eat them, which of course is not good for the Roomba, to say the least!
    Our horse growing up was one of those too smart for his own good types.  He'd let himself out of the pasture, jump the cattle guard, and make his way down the road either to the nice big meadow or to the lake for some swimming.  It got so common that the mailman carried a halter and carrots in his mail-truck and our horse would go up and say hi to all his cop friends when they came around.  We didn't want to padlock the pasture in case of a wildfire, but he figured out how to open every single other mechanism imaginable! 
    imageimageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, my cats. Cats, cats, cats.

That's all I really need to say, I think. Cats are smart, devious, agile little things. I fully believe they are capable of anything.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards