African American Weddings

how much of your budget should you spend on your dress...

I was just wondering from my fellow Knotties..how much of your budget did you put towards the dress of your dreams?

Re: how much of your budget should you spend on your dress...

• IFEFADIFEFAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have not purchased mine yet but i do plan on splurging on mine so i dont have a budget for my dress... MOst people i know spent between3-5 percent of their budget on their dress
  • edited December 2011
    I budgeted 10%, but I only spent 5%.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I dont have a specific budget, but the dress that I ABSOLUTELY love is like 2k....
  • Dollbaby357Dollbaby357 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did not include rings, dress, tuxes, makeup, hair or accessories as a part of the actual wedding budget ;-) thankfully. 

I think that was my little loophole because the only things that we included as part of the budget were the venue, dj, photographer, videographer, officiant, reception, entertainment, decor, florist, tree rentals, cake, and invitations.  Without the other big ticket items that left plenty of room for options although we still went over budget by about 3k, we are getting what we want and agreed on so it works. 

Photobucket
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I spent a little less than 5% of the wedding budget on my dress.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    dollbABY...I LIKE your way of thinking...
  • edited December 2011
    @Cincy...see I love this dress right, but the bridal shops that will carry it here aren't ordering a sample...WTH
  • desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's supposed to be 10%, but mines was on sale, so it was like 10% of 10%. Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • edited December 2011
    Mine ended up being about 10%...you do mean before veil, alterations, etc right?
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_much-of-budget-should-spend-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:482fbb4e-f198-49c3-9979-a683cc424374Post:7be17ea6-73d5-49b3-a06e-922f562f8edf">Re: how much of your budget should you spend on your dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Cincy...see I love this dress right, but the bridal shops that will carry it here aren't ordering a sample...WTH
    Posted by ravj2001[/QUOTE]

<div>Have you checked other stores/web sites to make sure you can't find it anywhere else at a cheaper price?  If so, and you feel comfortable spending $2K and it works with your budget....go for it! </div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am budgeting for 1K for the dress.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011

I budgeted 10% but I went way under budget and my dress ended up being more like 3% of the budget

• edited December 2011
    I budgeted 3k, but ended up spending about 8.5%of my overall 20k budget.
  • edited December 2011

@desi...it looks like you caught a deal then...

• edited December 2011
    @ eagles...correct...thats what I mean...
  • edited December 2011
    @cincy....i've pretty much called all the bridal shops  in the area, and they dont antcipate getting the dress...Its from the 2011 collection...so im just going to pray on it..lol
  • Dollbaby357Dollbaby357 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say get the dress you love as long as it is affordable for you, remember you only wear the dress once, though you can have parts of it repurposed.  While getting fitted for possible alterations my seamstress mentioned that she has made children's christening outfits and accessories among other things out of the material from brides gowns.  Always a thought for future use :-).
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    i went a little overboard with my dress, was 3k. intended to spend half of that, but sometimes things dont always go as planned ha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I spent around 7%. I bought it a year a ago and I still love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Number Invited 181image Number Attending 148image Number Declined 23image Number Not Replied 10image RSVP Date July 7 Magic Number:150
  • happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ Dollbaby -- LOVE your idea about your whole budgett!!  I've already got a dress in mind, so if I stay with that one it will cost about 1K with veil.  But I am looking to get a deal, the dress is an Alfred Angelo and they keep out coupon for up to $300 off so hopefully I'll get lucky and save some moolah
    80 said yes image
  • KnaijaQueenKnaijaQueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow....I'm really low in comparison to everyone else. I only plan to spend 1-2% of my budget on my dress and accessories.
  • edited December 2011
    im thinking of spending about 1k....but i have my eye on one that is twice as much...lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards