Snarky Brides

Work Rant!

I just need to vent about the asswipes I work for.

For the last two years part of my compensation package has included a demo vehicle.  All of the managers get one. I get a new car every 3 months or so when they sell my old one.  (I work for a car dealership)  So, pretty sweet deal. 

Well, last night we have a dinner meeting.  These are never good.  They must think bad news is easier to hear over an open bar.  Whatever.  Sooooo.... We get this speech:  "Due to the poor economy blah blah blah from now on only the General Manager, Finance Director, and General Sales Manager will be receiving demos effective August 1st."

Meh.  Ok, so surely they'll give us a raise so that we can go buy cars right?  NO!  No more money for us.  I know (cuz I'm the frickin accountant) exactly how much it costs to provide demos each month.  I asked for 25% of that cost.  NOPE.  Not even a bus pass!  But we will be getting an extra week of vacation.  (That is kinda sweet, but doesn't really help me here)

The worst part is that I have to do a lot of driving for work.  So now I have to provide my OWN vehicle and I'm not even getting compensated for it! 

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.

Re: Work Rant!

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Maybe its different in canada than it is in the US, but I dont really feel like "due to the economy" is a valid excuse anymore.
  • I don't itemize my taxes because we don't have any big deductions like a mortgage, but I'll talk to my tax guy tonight and see what we can do.

As far as the economy, I know it has nothing to do with it.  They're using it as an excuse because their annual bonuses aren't gonna be as big as they were last year so if they can cut a few major expenses before the end of the year they might make up some of the difference.  Fucktards.  I hate them.
    No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • I would check with the company on mileage reimbursement, and track every single mile that you have to drive.  I think right now they will reimburse .51/mile.  I think that's federal rate...but it might be state rates.

lovethebeach...I just checked out your cooking blog, and I'm soooooo going to make that shrimp fried rice. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry, I wish I could say I feel sorry for you, but my brother just spent 16 months looking for a job after his entire business (where he was employed at a pretty decent level and salary) went under. I believe he would much rather have lost perks than a car.
    My husband has gone went without a raise this year and no bonus, along with no overtime (the company is not cutting employees, so this is how they are making it work). This year, they finally get raises, but they are half of what they should be. And they are working their asses off and always behind because there isn't enough time to get it all done.

So, losing a demo car perk every three months to me, seems pretty minor.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I haven't had a raise in 2 years. My husband has been out of work for 25 months - to put it in perspective BUT

To suddenly have something like a car yanked out from underneath you is pretty serious - that's some serious money.

If you are required to have it for work, and that is required to use for work and not just getting there and home, you should be able to deduct mileage, at least some routine maintenance, etc.  but if you don't itemize, this may not help you on taxes. If you can't deduct from taxes you may be able to present all of this to your boss to show why you should either receive a car stipend or a raise. Your job is now costing you money so in essence you are losing income and that could mean you might choose to look for another job that either pays higher, includes a car or both. 

• I'm with Missy. It sucks, but you're going to have to get over it. A lot of people take their own cars to work and aren't compensated for gas, tolls, parking fees, whatever. Thems are the breaks.
  • I'll jump on the Missy train too. H's company took away their work vehicles, and the employees have to purchase their own vehicles now. H was all whiny, then I told him, "Yeah well atleast you got company vehicles for a while. I drive an hour to work and an hour back, and no one pays but me." I drive a lot of miles, but not enough to get reimbursed.
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    PS
    If you ever used that car for personal mileage, like commuting, travelling, or getting groceries, then that mileage is taxable to you. If your company didn't make you keep track of your personal miles in a company car, then they are doing it wrong. If you get audited by the IRS, it is on you to be paying taxes on that amount.

So, yeah, you should have had a personal vehicle for personal travel anyway. Stop whining.

ETA: You can seek reimbursement for company miles driven in your personal car. If they don't reimburse you, then you can deduct it as unreimbursed business expenses. If htey do reimburse, then you will be making more than you are paying in car payments, so don't sweat it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • See, here's the thing, the company car wasn't a "perk" it was part of my salary.  When I took this job I had two options a) car and less weekly $ or b) more weekly $ and no car.  So, in essence, the cut my salary by about $600 a month. 

I'm sympathetic to people who are out of work.  My father was unemployed for about a year.  Mostly I'm upset that the VP's bonuses aren't looking good so they decided to just take our cars. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_work-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:28edc140-5efa-4932-a7fa-95845b9bc601Post:6dc0d182-1443-4293-a790-1efdd79e29d1">Re: Work Rant!</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS If you ever used that car for personal mileage, like commuting, travelling, or getting groceries, then that mileage is taxable to you. Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Since it's a demo and not a company car (one that is actually titled and registered) we don't have to keep track of the miles.  Typically when doing personal errands or going on trips we would take FHs truck b/c it holds more stuff. 

I'm just bummed that I got a pay cut :(
  • Did the people who opted for more money and no car when they were hired take a pay cut? Because I would be pissed if I had to give up my car and they didn't take a cut.
  • As far as I know everyone had a car.  I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough since I do the payroll.

What it really boils down to is this:  The company isn't losing money, it just isn't making as much as it did in the last couple years.  Therefore, the VPs bonuses are going to be smaller than they have been so they are looking to cut major costs quick. 

I love my job, and I'm very thankful that I have it.  But I'm still kinda bummed right now.  I'll get over it though.

• Well, if anything, you learned a valuable lesson. ALWAYS take the money over a perk. It's much harder to cut pay than remove perks. Do you get a discount on the cars you sell? How about the used ones on your lot? I hope you find an affordable replacement.
  • I'm kickin myself now, trust me!  If I could hit rewind, I'd take the money ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards