Hawaii

Cakes by Joann: Review?

I know some of you guys have used / are using Cakes by Joann.  I am really interested in using her, and have started a dialogue, however, its like pulling teeth to get her to respond back...and I'm talking weeks, not days.  I was just wondering what other peoples' experiences have been, and I just need to be patient.  We are doing Mini Cakes not only as dessert, but also as table centerpieces, so I am a bit anxious!  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Cakes by Joann: Review?

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, she's tough to reach by email.  You could try calling her...?  It hasn't worried me, though, I've heard enough great things about her to outweigh the slow communication.  Plus, I started my planning way ahead, so I was never really in a rush to get a response--now ask me in about 3 months if I'm that patient and surely it will be a different story!  ;)
    image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using JoAnn but my WC has handled all of the communication. Her cakes are to die for though, I highly recommend her. (More reviews and pics in my bio from a tasting I did in November!)
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Andrea - I saw that you chose all vanilla cakes.  Did you not like the chocolate ones, or are you guys not chocolate ppl?  I'm hoping I can get chocolate cake b/c it's my fave, but am not sure about how feasible that will be, how it will taste, and how to store it until we're ready for it (I think the ganache must be refrigerated?)

TIA!
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually did try chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and it was really overwhelming...too much chocolate! 

I love chocolate but I had always envisioned my wedding cake being vanilla. I'm not sure how long the ganache holds up when you take it out of the fridge....the cupcake was frozen but then I carried it around the island all day and ate it that night. It tasted pretty fresh.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
    edited December 2011
    Ah, good to know.

Yea, I want chocolate cake, but I want pretty white icing.  I'm not a huge fan of ganache - you're right, it can be too much chocolate (if there can be such a thing!).  We'll see what they are able to do.  I'd be ok w/ white, but I just love chocolate so much that it'd be nice to have it in our wedding cake.
  • edited December 2011
    Don't be anxious about using JoAnn. My WC handled all of the communication with her so I can't speak to that but her cake is SOOOO good, even the day after when we devoured the leftovers. I sent her a pic of what I wanted the cake to look like and it looked EXACTLY like the picture. You won't be disappointed!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    @BoBride - so... how was your chocolate cake?  And did you cover it in white frosting?  If yes, then I might have to copy you.  :)

Oh, and did you pay shipping for JoAnn to send you the cupcakes?  I want some...
  • MaliagmMaliagm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the feedback!  It makes me feel better...and I just have to remember not everyone has an IPhone stuck to their ear!
  • ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had difficulty in communicating with Joann on so many different levels. Because I didn't want a huge surprise on my wedding day I handed all communication with her over to my coordinator.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards