Wedding Party

Maid of Honor- Age restriction?

I am getting married at 23 and am having a hard time deciding on my maid of honor. I would love for my younger sister to have this roll, but we are six years apart. At the time of the wedding she will only be 17. Are there any elements of the ceremony or reception in which she would need to be 18? Are there legal documents she would need to sign? I have no problem with having her delegate the bachelorette party to one of my older attendants, but before I ask her to be my maid of honor I want to make sure there is no rule that I don't know about. I would hate to retract my invitation. Help.

Re: Maid of Honor- Age restriction?

• ManwaithielManwaithiel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Anyone can sign your license as a witness over 18 (if that's even necessary in your state, it isn't in mine).

Your bachelorette party is not a given thing so it shouldn't factor into your consideration.

In short, no. There are no "age restrictions". My MOH will be 16 at the time of our wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • The wedding police don't check IDs for WP members' ages.  She probably can't sign the license as your witness in most states, but that certainly doesn't have to be the MOH anyway.  Any two adults over age 18 is all that's usually required--you could very easily use your parents, or the best man and another BM, you get the idea.  Check what the marriage license requirements are where you live.

Neither you nor she should delegate any parties because they aren't a right, they're a gift.

I think it's lovely that you want your sister to be MOH.  I bet she'll be thrilled.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-of-honor-age-restriction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:ee292b16-bfe6-44c7-878f-e8a52c1cdab5Post:35865b4d-d224-4779-9025-bddeda23fda3">Maid of Honor- Age restriction?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married at 23 and am having a hard time deciding on my maid of honor. I would love for my younger sister to have this roll, but we are six years apart. At the time of the wedding she will only be 17. Are there any elements of the ceremony or reception in which she would need to be 18? Are there legal documents she would need to sign? I have no problem with having her delegate the bachelorette party to one of my older attendants, but before I ask her to be my maid of honor I want to make sure there is no rule that I don't know about. I would hate to retract my invitation. Help.
    Posted by Alnettles[/QUOTE]
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-of-honor-age-restriction?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:ee292b16-bfe6-44c7-878f-e8a52c1cdab5Post:35865b4d-d224-4779-9025-bddeda23fda3">Maid of Honor- Age restriction?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married at 23 and am having a hard time deciding on my maid of honor. I would love for my younger sister to have this roll, but we are six years apart. At the time of the wedding she will only be 17. Are there any elements of the ceremony or reception in which she would need to be 18? Are there legal documents she would need to sign? I have no problem with having her delegate the bachelorette party to one of my older attendants, but before I ask her to be my maid of honor I want to make sure there is no rule that I don't know about. I would hate to retract my invitation. Help.
    Posted by Alnettles[/QUOTE]

Photobucket
  • Brooke, you need to stop the mind reading thing. =P

Photobucket
  • Haha, get out of my head!
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• The only thing would be that someone age 18+ would need to sign the license.

Other than that, the MOH should be your closest friend. She's got no duties other than to stand next to you at the ceremony and hold your bouquet and stuff.

You aren't in charge of who plans the bachelorette. It'd be very rude of a bride to tell someone to throw her a party, or to tell someone to hand off the responsibility of the party. Brides aren't owed a party, parties are optional gifts from friends. With that and the shower, you need to stay totally out of it and just wait to see what (if anything) you get.
  • I wouldn't worry about age.  Other PPs covered the main issues for you.  Also, you don't get to plan the bach party.  But if someone asks what you want for a bach party, you can always say that you want to do something for all or part of your bach party that is age appropriate for your sister.  My cousin is under 21, and she is one of my BMs.  When my MOH asked what I wanted for a bach party, I just said that it would be nice if some of it was appropriate for under 21, but that whatever she planned (if she wanted to plan anything) would be fabulous.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Make your sister your MOH and have someone else sign the marriage license.  It's not a big deal at all. :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • You may not even need witnesses to sign the marriage license.  We found out this is the case in PA when we got married.

AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I wouldn't worry about age. We didn't even have to have anyone sign our marriage license as the priest and deacon were our witnesses to the marriage.
  • Thanks for everyone's responses! I appreciate it and I had really been racking my brain about this whole thing. Not like the wedding isn't forever away. Heehee. Also y'all are right, I shouldn't go into expecting any sort of party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards