New Hampshire

Not a juinor bridesmaid!

Okay ladies, I need some advice! My fiance has a step niece that will be 13 when we get married. We already have three little girls and a boy to be flower girls/ring bearer. I would like to include the 13 y/o step niece...but I don't like the idea of "juinor bridesmaid." Can anyone think of something I can do to kind of include her in the big day?

Re: Not a juinor bridesmaid!

• DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only things I can think of are either including her as a full bridesmaid or asking her to do a reading, but I'd start by asking her if she would like to be included and how.  I couldn't figure out how I should include my sister, and it turns out that I'd been worrying for nothing because she really didn't even want to be involved at all, so she'll just be a "regular" guest.  At 13, there's a good chance she'll be too cool to want to be involved, but if she does it could save you a lot of hassle trying to figure out what she might want to do.

...and if you want to get really crazy, I saw an episode of Bridezillas where she had a "junior bride" instead of bridesmaid....literally, a teenaged girl in a genuine wedding dress to walk down the aisle as a preview of what was to come or something like that.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_not-juinor-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:3a1757d1-73f8-409f-aa99-5ffb9e4d74ebPost:412a2b2a-a457-40cf-986e-94790305335c">Re: Not a juinor bridesmaid!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. ...and if you want to get really crazy, I saw an episode of Bridezillas where she had a "junior bride" instead of bridesmaid....literally, a teenaged girl in a genuine wedding dress to walk down the aisle as a preview of what was to come or something like that.
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]
    Well, the just sounds creepy.  Lol.
    I would also try talking to her.  I feel like having her do something like hand out programs would sort of be a cop out.  I like the idea of having her do a short reading.  Or does she play an instrument?  God bless my aunt and uncle who let me play the flute at their wedding when I was about 12.  If you don't mind some personal, but less than professional music at your wedding, something like that could work.
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • edited December 2011
    My 13 year old brother had zero interest in doing anything.  He is a shy kid, so he just preferred not to.  Since we are otherwise not having kids at the wedding, we are letting him have a guest.

When I was about 12, my grandmother got married and had me and my cousin pass out the programs.  It was a good idea.
    ~~Sabrina~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sunshine9779sunshine9779 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI's 13 and 15 year old daughters are going to be regular bridesmaids but our 12 year old close-like-a-niece friend is going to pass out programs and point out the place where we'll have water bottles on ice. 
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance has just one brother, but that one brother has five daughters, ages 4 - 12 (it's an odd year, so they're all even ages...). Anyway, his sister-in-law mentioned that the girls were really excited, but I was overwhelmed because I had never anticipated having children at my wedding, nevermind five flower girls/junior bridesmaids, etc. They're part of my future family though, and I really love them, so this is the solution I came up with (because I'm not a fan of the junior bridesmaid thing either):

The two youngest (4 and 6) will be flower girls. The middle (8) will walk our dog (it's an outdoor ceremony and we want him there for pictures) down the aisle. The oldest two (10 and 12) will do a reading together. They're all going to wear the same color dress, but it's different than the bridesmaid's dresses. I have four bridesmaids, so I thought nine people running around in one color would be a little much :) There are many ways to incorporate them though if you want to make it happen!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards