Ohio-Cincinnati

Cake Recommendations

I know this has been posted before, but I am lloking for someone that can offer cake around $2 a slice. I have already scheduled appointments with Flying Buttercream and Marilyn's Cakes, but wanted some other suggestions. We can go as high as $2.75 a slice but not any higher.
Thanks!

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
Pregnancy Ticker
Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

Re: Cake Recommendations

• mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All of my favorite questions are being posted today- love it!  Check out A Spoon Fulla Sugar in Montgomery.  Hands down the best cake we tasted.  they do cake from $2.75 (I think) a slice and cupcakes from $1.75 ea.  They are open to custom flavors and designs.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Marilyn's Cakes!! We are using her for our wedding and I love her cake! And you can't beat it for the price!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ele Cake Company....LOVE THEM!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Flying Buttercream. $1.40 for buttercream and $1.90 for fondant.  The chocolate cake is awesome, really dense and rich.  She is really flexible and great to work with.
  • kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Fantasy in Frosting - they were sooo good. I still get compliments on the cake. Remember you might not want to have cake for every guest - however if your guests love cake, make sure you have plenty.
  • onlymelsonlymels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second a spoon fulla sugar. We almost booked Sweet Water Bakehouse untill we tasted SPFS oh my god they have the best cake I have ever had and their fillings are INSANELY good. Even their fondant tastes good. Kinda like marshmallow.
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have to agree on Spoon Fulla Sugar - their cakes and fillings are amazing and they're not crazy expensive!  Very nice and personable also - they always get right back to me and they've been quite flexible. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_cake-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:13814504-19af-49aa-853a-4b5064c6dbafPost:77707bc2-5a9f-49c3-b4d8-c70be740823d">Re: Cake Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have to agree on Spoon Fulla Sugar - their cakes and fillings are amazing and they're not crazy expensive!  Very nice and personable also - they always get right back to me and they've been quite flexible. 
    Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]

What is "not crazy expensive?" I looked at their website and it looks like the cake will end up costing more than I can spend.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://cincinnati.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_cake-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:13814504-19af-49aa-853a-4b5064c6dbafPost:23c2757c-bf6f-4d59-8922-48f2ac4c5709">Re: Cake Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake Recommendations : What is "not crazy expensive?" I looked at their website and it looks like the cake will end up costing more than I can spend.
    Posted by caseyandlizzie[/QUOTE]

Then I guess our ideas of expensive are different?  I'm not getting any type of discount, we're getting a cake that feeds either 120 or 140 people for about $380.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

ricksang- are you also caseyandlizzie? I wanted to make sure I responded to the OP but am confused.

Anyway, I just checked A Spoon Fulla Sugars site and it seems they may have raised their prices.  they have taken off with their wedding biz and that could have caused the price hike (they are THAT good).  My apologies for not checking before posting. I jsut got married in November and my notes reflected the $2.75/cake, $1.75/cupcake pricing.  I still think you should check them out and discuss your budget to see what they can do.  Since I ordered over 200 cupcakes, they gave me an additional price break. Or just go with some of the other bakers recommended in this thread.  GL!

• clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend looking into Tres Belle Cakes.  Theirs is at $2.65/pp for buttercream frosting, which is within your range.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I recommend Affordable Wedding Creations in Covington, KY.  Their pricing is $2.50/slice and no extra costs for choosing different flavors.  The cake was wonderful and you get to come back on your one year anniversary for a free small cake.  (Note: the website is a bit outdated but don't be scared---much better in person!!)

The lady was really nice and is not charging any delivery fees or fees to use the silver cake stand.

It's convenient b/c she works with a florist.  It is not required you use the florist, but it was convenient one-stop shopping for me  becuase I wanted roses on my cake.

I do not recommend Flying Buttercream. After meeting with her,I was not nearly impressed with the taste of the cake. The strawberry cake of hers was very good but the chocolate/white cake was not very good (in my opinion). 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!

My new bff Gayle Forman!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

• edited December 2011
    sweethingscakes.com
    She works out of her home so she's able to charge less.  Give her a call! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Cakes by Jerri Deeter......oh my god her cakes are to die for. She lives north of Dayton but will travel close to Cincinnati for larger weddings. Her price is 1.85 her slice, 2.00 per slice for speciality flavors, and an extra .30 cents for speciality fillings. Her fruit fillings are from her own homemade preserves and she has the most moist cake I have ever tasted!! Our cake is for 175 people and it costed an extra 40 bucks for fondant details.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Do you have the website for Jerri Deeter?
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know this is an old thread but her number is(937) 698-4732. She does it out of her home so there is no website
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards