Wedding Invitations & Paper

Handwriting addresses on invitations

Does it really matter that the guests addresses be handwritten by a calligrapher? I think it's a bit ridiculous because no one really pays attention to that and they will end up throwing the outer envelope away. I don't want to spend any money on hiring a calligrapher and my handwriting is not so pretty so I was thinking of just printing the addresses directly on the envelopes since that would be a lot easier and quicker. What does everyone think?

Re: Handwriting addresses on invitations

• I am going to print them in a nice font on the printer.  I have very bad arthritis in my hands and writing more than a check it would look like a 1 yr old did it.
  • I don't believe this is true anymore:  "Printing off a computer is bad form."  The only thing I know everyone can agree on is NO LABELS.
  • If your parents' names are on the top line of your invitation, then it's your parents who are requesting the honour of the guests' presence.

Your parents are inviting the guests.  The invitation comes from THEM.  So your mom makes the decisions on how HER invitations will be addressed.  Go ask her.  If she wants to hire someone, that's fine.  If she wants to do it herself because THAT'S HER JOB (which is what my old-south mother insisted on), then sit next to her and stuff, stamp, seal.

Q&A: Invitations: Addressing Them With Labels?

Q.

I'm thinking about using labels to address my wedding invitations. I've heard several people say this is tacky. I know handwriting them is more formal, but I just think labels will be less time-consuming. What do you think?

A.

You're absolutely right that labels would be less time-consuming, but the reason most invites are addressed by hand isn't just that it's more formal -- it's also more personal. It shows your guests that you so want them to be at your wedding that you took the time to handwrite (or have a calligrapher hand-letter) their name and address on the envelope. It's true that it can be a hassle to address so many envelopes yourself. Think about getting your wedding party to help you out (make it a party!) and it'll go much faster

• People make too big of a deal about these things. Goodness.

I addressed all of my invitations, just in normal cursive & I think they look just fine!
  • Honestly I don't think it matters one bit. Most people will tell you its the "right" or "proper" thing to do, but by who's standards? The way I see it, it's your wedding. If you don't mind the invitaions not being adressed by hand, then forget it! Whatever works for you and can save you time and money sounds like a win to me, but that's just me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_handwriting-addresses-on-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:dacc935b-f087-4ceb-99e2-2c98e07d78d0Post:bb027e19-a587-4cf9-8b18-301fe8b0b346">Re: Handwriting addresses on invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your parents' names are on the top line of your invitation, then it's your parents who are requesting the honour of the guests' presence. Your parents are inviting the guests.  The invitation comes from THEM.  So your mom makes the decisions on how HER invitations will be addressed.  Go ask her.  If she wants to hire someone, that's fine.  If she wants to do it herself because THAT'S HER JOB (which is what my old-south mother insisted on), then sit next to her and stuff, stamp, seal.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why you're assuming that OPs parents are hosting and inviting the guests when she never said that in her post.  If her parents are hosting and doing the inviting, sure, it's up to her mom to decide, ultimately, but it sounds like she's just asking a question for general reference.  That said, it's nicer to handwrite them.  You don't need to spend a zillion dollars on a calligrapher, just handwrite them yourself or ask a bridesmaid/friend/family member with nice handwriting to do it.  My  mother in law is doing ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards