Wedding Etiquette Forum

Poll: After you die

2»

Re: Poll: After you die

• Oh, yeah, if my organs are donatable, by all means, take them. Both my parents are recipients of donor bone, so yeah. Take it all. I believe I checked the box on my living will that said they could only be taken for transplantation or education.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:8191b42b-5839-4675-a4d1-2fdc62e76d09">Re: Poll: After you die</a>:
    [QUOTE]If, lawd forbid, I couldn't get my mausoleum, I suppose I'd want to be cremated over being buried. Claustrophobia trumps. In that case, I wouldn't want to be scattered in a body of water, or anywhere where my ashes could end up in a body of water (due to rain, etc.). <strong>Because I don't want to end up in someone's toilet.
    </strong>Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

Heh.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Do you believe in heaven/hell?
    Yes.  I believe in heaven, and I believe in hell, but I don't believe that anyone is in hell.

If yes, what do you think it's like?  I don't know.  I have a really hard time conceptualizing heaven.  I believe in our salvation through Jesus Christ but I'm not sure exactly how that translates to heaven.

Cremation or burial?  cremation

Why?  greener

Do you want to be buried with anything?  no

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?  paper mache

Not really.  Although I like the idea of my dog and my grandmama hanging out somwhere.  I also like the idea of reincarnation, so there's that.

If yes, what do you think it's like?
    fucck if I know.
    Cremation or burial? Why?
    Cremation.  Burial seems wasteful.

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?
    Scattered somewhere awesome.  I don't know where yet though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:892f6b7f-4c52-43a2-ad20-f99d75dc865d">Re: Poll: After you die</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: After you die : This reminds me of a relative of mine from a few generations ago who was buried with her jewelry.  After she was buried, her family decided they wanted the jewelry back so they dug her up.  Turns out she wasn't dead when they buried her (this was back before they did embalming) and she'd clawed the sides of her casket and pulled half her hair out before suffocating.  Pretty morbid but then again, this is a death thread, lol.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>Holy sh1t.  </div>

Not necessarily heaven/hell but I do believe in an afterlife.

I think that it is a place where all of your friends/family/pets are and it has all of your favorite things.  Everything is peaceful and there are no more worries or stresses.  I believe that no matter what you might have done in your life everyone has the same type of afterlife where they are surrounded by people they love.  I feel that we punish people enough for their crimes and bad ways while they are alive that a hell is pointless.
    Cremation or burial?
    Cremation, but they damn well better be positive that I am dead before pushing me into that furnace!

Why?
    Cheaper

Do you want to be buried with anything?
    Nope.  As the old saying goes, "You can't take it with you."  Also, if the afterlife I am imagining does exist then everything I will want will already be waiting for me.

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?
    Not sure.  I definitely don't want to buried in any manor because I hate any sort of bug.

Funny enough my Mom and I were having a similar conversation the other day.  She said that she and my Dad want to be cremated and scattered on a golf course.  I told her we would "salute" her by pouring her favorite drink (Malibu rum and diet coke) over her ashes after they were scattered.  She laughed and said "Why not just mix my ashes with my favorite drink to make a type of clay and mold me into a sculpture and keep it on your mantel."  I laughed histerically at this and I told her that I would mold her into a golf ball and my Dad into a golf tee so that they could be a complete sculpture together.  I guess when you talk about death you have to joke about it because if you don't it just gets morbid and depressing.  (Oh and both of my parents LOVE golf, that is why all the golf talk)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:892f6b7f-4c52-43a2-ad20-f99d75dc865d">Re: Poll: After you die</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: After you die : This reminds me of a relative of mine from a few generations ago who was buried with her jewelry.  After she was buried, her family decided they wanted the jewelry back so they dug her up.  Turns out she wasn't dead when they buried her (this was back before they did embalming) and she'd clawed the sides of her casket and pulled half her hair out before suffocating.  Pretty morbid but then again, this is a death thread, lol.

What the fluck?!?!  This has to be my worst nightmare ever!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:892f6b7f-4c52-43a2-ad20-f99d75dc865d">Re: Poll: After you die</a>:

Oh man I think you've todl this story before but still creepy as hell. I can't even imagine that feeling.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:ba3afd31-4937-4649-b9c1-9d928cff473d">Poll: After you die</a>:
    [QUOTE]This may be kind of morbid, but oh, well. I'm bored and curious. Do you believe in heaven/hell? If yes, what do you think it's like? Cremation or burial? Why? Do you want to be buried with anything? What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe in Heaven.  I think Earth will become Heaven and all the imperfections will be cleared. 

I don't know.  I am an organ donor, so as long as my parts find someone, I don't care what happens to me afterwards. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    I would like to believe in heaven. I don't really know. 

If yes, what do you think it's like?  I don't know.  I would like to think my past pets and grandma are 'there' wherever it is. I would really like to see my grandma again. In sort of a silly way, I hope she's watching over me. I really don't know.

Cremation or burial?  I have a rare genetic disorder, so I've already figured out how to give my body to science. My grandma did, but we buried an empty casket for her. I would think after science is finished with me, what's left will be cremated.

Why?  Help with treatment for my disorder. 

Do you want to be buried with anything?  No / NA

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?  If there are ashes to be spread, I think I would like them to be scattered over a wheat field by my parents land. 
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    AATB - I can't un-know that story now... thanks for that!
  • Do you believe in heaven/hell? Negative.

Cremation or burial? At this point I'd say burial

Why? I know science has come a long way, I do, but for some reason it is so hard for me to wrap my mind around me not feeling my body. I know after you die your brain waves stop and doctors can see this, but I always wonder if maybe people can still feel with maybe different brain waves that we haven't detected yet. IDK if that makes sense, but it freaks me the hell out to lay there burning, but now that AATB has introduced that little gem of a story, I may prefer burning.

Do you want to be buried with anything? Pictures mostly

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yes/Yes

I imagine that everybody is in perfect health and body.  When you arrive, your loved ones that have passed on are there to welcome you.  Hell, I don't like to imagine, but I believe the ones that go there are the ones that denied themselves heaven.

Cremation or burial?

I've been leaning towards cremation.

Why?

I saw a program on TV once that showed different cultures views of disposing of the dead.  Being embalmed is a nasty process.  Rotting in a box is also gross. 

If I were to be buried I don't want anything in there but the outfit that had been chosen for me to wear.

Just in case your spirit was stuck in the container, I would prefer to be scattered somewhere beautiful to be free!
  • Do you believe in heaven/hell? I don't believe that our souls die with our bodies, if that makes any sense. I don't know where they go, but I believe we continue to exist in some other realm or form.

If yes, what do you think it's like? I have no idea. Peaceful, I would imagine.

Cremation or burial? Cremation

Why? Burial seems wasteful, and I don't want to be eaten by bugs. Dead or not, I'm not cool with that.

Do you want to be buried with anything? N/A

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)? Anything but stuck on a shelf/mantle. I don't want to be on display like that.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh my god aatb. I can't even imagine the terror. It reminds me of that scene from Kill Bill 2. I believe in heaven and hell. I think heaven is all about constantly glorifying God and eternal peace. Hell is just a terrible eternal suffering. I dont know what I want to do about my body yet.
  • willywally5willywally5 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Holy freaking crap AATB ... you have just affirmed my choice for cremation! Yegads. 

This brings up questions I wonder about ... when did they start embalming people? Do they embalm you even if you are going to be cremated? 

I've heard some states won't allow a dead body to be brought across the state line unless it has been embalmed. Is that everywhere? (Case I'm thinking of was a young boy from SoDak who died in Minneapolis but had to be embalmed before he was brought back home.) What about snowbirds who die at whatever location they spend winters? Gosh, what a logistical nightmare. 

I wonder about weird things, I know. Sigh. But y'know, death is gonna happen to everyone. I kind of like to know how it all works!

I DO believe in heaven/hell ... all things cool and fab/all things NOT, respectively. 

Definitely donate any of my parts that are useful to anyone, then cremate what's left. Don't wanna take up too much space, but please bury my ashes. And for God's sake, make dang sure I'm good and DEAD from the get-go!

I have some pretty kickass jewelry, so they'd better not bury that with me. I'd much rather my loved ones wear it or sell it to keep a roof over their heads, donate proceeds to charity or whatever. 
  • Do you believe in heaven/hell? Yes

If yes, what do you think it's like? Awesome/Terrible, respectively.

Cremation or burial? I think that I want to be cremated, I don't like the idea of rotting. FI doesn't like the idea of being burned (or me being burned) and he said if I die unexpectedly/young he doesn't care what I want, I am having an open casket so that he can say goodbye.  "Funerals aren't for the dead person, they are for their loved ones." (I feel like maybe I should be offended that he wouldn't be respecting my wishes... but I think it is kind of sweet...) All in all, it doesn't matter too much to me, as I don't believe the *I* will really be with my body anymore. I think I would be okay with being cremated and buried with FI. :)

Why?

Do you want to be buried with anything? Nope. Aside from being buried with FI, that is.

See above!
    photo JamieMasonWedding-8992-S.jpg
  •  Do you believe in heaven/hell?  Yes. 

If yes, what do you think it's like?  I believe in the scriptural descriptions of both places.  I think Heaven will be beyond any words I could ever think of and I hope my loved ones made a decision to go there.  I also think Hell is something so awful I couldn't comprehend all of it.

Cremation or burial? Cremation

Why? takes up less space and costs far less.  If you are going to spend a boatload of cash on me do while I'm alive and send me to Fiji please.

Do you want to be buried with anything?  Nope.  I can't take anything with me and once I am dead I won't "be there" to understand that it is with me.  

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?  Buried in a National Cemetery.  If the kids or DH want something different I am good with that.  I am eligible for burial in a National Cemetery and it saves a few thousand dollars.  

I do have my brother's ashes in a box.  Due to some dysfunctional stuff in the family, they haven't been spread or buried anywhere yet.  When we were moving, DS picked up the box not knowing what it was.  He noticed it was heavy for its size and asked what it was. I just told him, "Be careful with that!  That is Uncle Scott!"

I just want to leave a memory for my DH, kids, and grandkids that I loved them more than anything and I want to leave them with solid, loving memories.  I want them to remember to "do all the good you can for as long as you can, do all the good you can for as many as you can, and do all the good you can until you can't do it anymore."
  • In Response to Poll: After you die:

Do you believe in heaven/hell?  Heaven, yes.  Not too sure about hell though

If yes, what do you think it's like?  .peaceful, tons of light, Maybe those who passed before me are there

Cremation or burial? Don't care

Why? It's up to those left behind what is most comforting for them

Do you want to be buried with anything? I can't think of anything.

Again, that's up to my family, I have no preference

Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]
  • FutureMrsMD, you can still have an open casket even if you want to be cremated. They just (obviously) do it afterward. It's mainly a matter of scheduling/logistics. 

I don't know that I'd want a bunch of people looking at me up close all dead and stuff. I mean, it's kind of weird. But, I will say that my mother (who had been very sick for months) looked SO MUCH BETTER than she had in the last few months of her life. I generally think it is very odd when people say a corpse 'looked so good' but in my mom's case, she really did. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:0d26d8e0-7573-46c7-a51d-50ef1b4c2bb4">Re: Poll: After you die</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy freaking crap AATB ... you have just affirmed my choice for cremation! Yegads.  This brings up questions I wonder about ... when did they start embalming people? Do they embalm you even if you are going to be cremated?  I've heard some states won't allow a dead body to be brought across the state line unless it has been embalmed. Is that everywhere? (Case I'm thinking of was a young boy from SoDak who died in Minneapolis but had to be embalmed before he was brought back home.) What about snowbirds who die at whatever location they spend winters? Gosh, what a logistical nightmare. 
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Embalming goes back to ancient civilizations, Egyptian mummies were embalmed. It became popular in the US after Lincoln's assassination and the body was transported over a distance. I took a class on funeral art in college and it included some really interesting stuff on why/how different cultures dispose of remains the way they do.</div><div>
    </div>
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to Poll: After you die:
    Do you believe in heaven/hell? 
    Yes, heaven, no, hell

Intangable.

Cremation or burial? 
    Cremation- but I'd also be ok with a burial as long as it was without a coffin or embalming. I could also be ok with medical experiments/education or being put on one of those body farms where they test decomposition. 

Why?
    I hate the idea of being in a box and taking up space. I'm cool with being experimented on (I'll be dead, I don't need all of that). If I have to be burried, I like the idea of "returning to the earth" so to speak.

Scattered or comically displayed somewhere. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-after-you-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a66e874-c6d2-45df-8bc8-b2c8a5d4818ePost:baa49546-3096-4e73-8f4c-8b4b26c8b7b5">Re: Poll: After you die</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: After you die : Embalming goes back to ancient civilizations, Egyptian mummies were embalmed. It became popular in the US after Lincoln's assassination and the body was transported over a distance. <strong>I took a class on funeral art in college and it included some really interesting stuff on why/how different cultures dispose of remains the way they do.</strong>
    Posted by Spunky414[/QUOTE]

<div>A) thank you for answering that</div><div>B) OMFG I want to take that class. How interesting would that be? (Am I morbid?)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Very interesting, Spunky! Thank you!

I would ABSOLUTELY take that class if given the opportunity! Saacjw, I don't think it's morbid ... I mean, death is part of the journey, y'know? 

• mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Do you believe in heaven/hell?  I want to believe there is some justice in the universe where good people go to heaven and crappy people get their fair share, but honestly it sounds a bit farfetched.  Also I think it would be nice to spend my afterlife with DH, previously passed on family/pets, etc. But I don't know, and it seems silly to spend a lot of time thinking about something I won't know until I get there.

Cremation or burial?  It would depend on DH, but most likely cremation since statistically it's about 99.8% here and I don't think he really cares to deviate from this.

Why?  I would want my ashes to rest beside DH's.

Do you want to be buried with anything?  Nothing in particular

What do you want to be done with your ashes (buried, scattered, stuck on a shelf, etc.)?  I would want them to place them inside the grave next to DH.  It might be nice to have a grave locker instead of having an outside grave since there's nothing to stop people from stealing your ashes and it does occasionally happen...

Here after the cremation is finished the bones of the deceased are passed via chopsticks to each family member and placed into an urn...  This part is always a little unnerving for me, even though I know it's irrational since it's a form of respect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards