Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)

I noticed this funky smell in my house earlier this week. At first I thought it was leftover nasty smell from the shrimp shells I had in the garbage earlier this week. But I took the garbage out and Lysoled the hell out of the can. Then I noticed it seemed to be emanating from the hall bathroom, which is my brother's bathroom. So I told him to go clean whatever was stinking up the bathroom, and hence the rest of the house. He cleaned it, smell was still there. Then FI noticed the smell in his office, which is on the other side of the wall from the bathroom. Last night, the smell was unbearable, so we call the landlords. Landlord comes out today and finds a dead opossum underneath our bathtub. Apparently he had gotten in under the house and somehow crawled up to under the bathtub. I have never been more disgusted in my life. And it's aired out quite a bit and is now bearable, but oh my god. A dead animal was in my wall. Is it common for animals to crawl in your walls and die? This can't be a common occurence, can it?
Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince

Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)

• Um, that's gross.  I have no idea if it's common or not, but I certainly hope it's not!
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Oh my GOD!! yuck yuck yukc im so sorry!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:e3c9057a-a84d-4d67-9817-bf9b3b9ba628">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um, that's gross.  I have no idea if it's common or not, but I certainly hope it's not!
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]
    God me too. I can't be digging dead animals out of my walls on the regular. Not that I was the one who actually did it, but still. No. Can't happen again.
  • That happened at my parents house when I was in high school.  I think it was either a opossum or a rabbit had died under their front porch.  Worst smell ever.  Glad they found it and got rid of it!  May I ask how they found out where it was? 
    Photobucket
  • Ew, nasty!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:3d0d62fd-ca40-4c6e-8dcf-ea150cb86533">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]That happened at my parents house when I was in high school.  I think it was either a opossum or a rabbit had died under their front porch.  Worst smell ever.  Glad they found it and got rid of it!  May I ask how they found out where it was? 
    Posted by kellyjellybelly[/QUOTE]
    Well, FI and my brother and I all determined it was in the wall between FI's office and the bathroom. The wall in between FI's office and the bathroom has built in shelves on the office side of the wall, and when FI opened one of the cabinets to get a DVD, he just about gagged. So we knew it was coming from inside the wall. The landlord got in the bathroom and just kind of poked around for a bit to try to find it. Then he took the side panel off the tub (it's a tub made of fibreglass where the pieces of it all kind of snap together, and I'm explaining this really badly, sorry) and found the opossum right behind the tub in the wall between the two rooms.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I remember something KIND OF similar happening to hrparker once, a rat crawled under their dishwasher or something and died.
  • I would've had a major panic attack. I'm so so scared of possums
  • Ewie :( I think it's probably more common than you think, though. I've never had an animal die in a wall before, but at my mom's house we had both mice and squirrels try to take up residence in the wall right next to my bed. Freaked me out.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:77c451b5-f4b6-416f-af0f-7edd7f0412c3">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would've had a major panic attack. I'm so so scared of possums
    Posted by Jill9288[/QUOTE]
    Yeah they freak me out too. FI is at home this week (yay!) so he was the one here when the landlord came and found the opossum. I was at work, thank Christ.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:77c451b5-f4b6-416f-af0f-7edd7f0412c3">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would've had a major panic attack. I'm so so scared of possums
    Posted by Jill9288[/QUOTE]
    My brothers pit/rott mix brought one into their house and buried it in the couch.  SIL freaked the fuuck out.  I wish they had pictures.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:65316905-5ae8-4476-b4d9-e875fe1dbbc3">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning) : Well, FI and my brother and I all determined it was in the wall between FI's office and the bathroom. The wall in between FI's office and the bathroom has built in shelves on the office side of the wall, and when FI opened one of the cabinets to get a DVD, he just about gagged. So we knew it was coming from inside the wall. The landlord got in the bathroom and just kind of poked around for a bit to try to find it. Then he took the side panel off the tub (it's a tub made of fibreglass where the pieces of it all kind of snap together, and I'm explaining this really badly, sorry) and found the opossum right behind the tub in the wall between the two rooms.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]<div>Well at least he chose an easily accesible place to lay down and die.

</div>
    Photobucket
  • siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!
    Photobucket
  • Ew, gross.  I know critters can find there way inside all kinds of ways--my parents' friends had a raccoon take up residence in one of their kitchen cabinets (thankfully it didn't die there, though).  Hopefully you don't have to deal with that again!
  • According to Mike Rowe, if your house has any sort of crawlspace or access under the baseboards of the house (like an open vent or holes) then it is more common than people think. The bottoms of tubs and plumbing are completely exposed and racoons and possoms will climb up and make their nests and sometimes die under the houses.
  • Something very similar happened to a coworker of mine, except she posted pictures of the dead possum on facebook. :(
  • Mike Rowe does it for me like whoa. I've a major crush.
    On another note (if you're FB friends with me then you've heard this before, but I just can't quit finding it hilarious) I just bought tickets to see Ludacris at the House of Blues in New Orleans. At my mom's request. The show is on Mother's Day, which is also my mom's birthday. That's what she wanted for her birthday and Mother's Day: Ludacris tickets.
  • I love Mike Rowe :) That's crazy! It reminds me of high school when my mom decided she loved all of the Shaggy songs. She would sing along and have no clue what the lyrics meant, and I'd be like, please..mom...stop...
  • So gross!

Unfortunately, it IS common.  If you leave poison out for mice, they'll die in the walls too.  Moles die in my parents' attic and smell up the house too--they have as many holes as possible plugged, but they still get in.

That an opossum got in is CRAZY!!  I hope nothing like that happens again!
  • Great, I've had a smell in my house for about a week now that I can't get rid of.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:501ec4b0-f4fe-4813-9b90-36ab925a9aec">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great, I've had a smell in my house for about a week now that I can't get rid of.
    Posted by vgmartinez[/QUOTE]
    I am so hoping for your sake that you don't have dead critters somewhere. I wouldn't wish this smell on bbycakes even.
  • I guess it happens.

hrparker's DH didn't give their super anything for Christmas and when she found dead mice behind their kitchen cupboards, the super took his sweet time getting to them.

her H wasn't a New Yorker so he didn't know that your super and your doormen always get Christmas tips!
  • edited April 2010
    While we've never had one die in the house, one of my co-workers had a rat crawl into her engine, chew up things, and then somehow die by the air conditioner vent. It cost her nearly 1200 to figure out what the hell was wrong with her car.

Fi's parents had a goose fall down their chimney, and they didn't have a door on it. They were on vacation and came home days later to find their house destroyed, poop everywhere and a rather large goose in their hallway. He wasn't dead, although he might have been easier to get out the house if he had been.

LC- Fi wants to go see Ludacris too, but we're not sure if we can swing it since its Mother's Day.
    Photobucket
  • Mags, that's why I'm so blown away and overjoyed: this is what my mom actually wants to do for her b-day and mother's day. I lucked out in the parents lottery.
  • you did get lucky. Both of our moms would be horrified at a Ludacris concert, my mom would be clutching both her pearls and the bible... haha.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wanna-hear-gross-story-pics-but-story-pretty-gross-this-warning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7e51e76c-f2f4-4a87-90ab-8960dfdfe979Post:b55be60d-995a-4c8c-8932-1ca3e78cd914">Re: Wanna hear a gross story? (No pics, but the story is pretty gross, this is your warning)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>While we've never had one die in the house, one of my co-workers had a rat crawl into her engine, chew up things, and then somehow die by the air conditioner vent. It cost her nearly 1200 to figure out what the hell was wrong with her car.</strong> Fi's parents had a goose fall down their chimney, and they didn't have a door on it. They were on vacation and came home days later to find their house destroyed, poop everywhere and a rather large goose in their hallway. He wasn't dead, although he might have been easier to get out the house if he had been. LC- Fi wants to go see Ludacris too, but we're not sure if we can swing it since its Mother's Day.
    Posted by mags0607[/QUOTE]

This happened to my neighbor.  I went downstairs to my car and his car was dead.  He asked me for a jump and I agreed.  He was getting his cables together and opened the hood and BAM!--giant electrocuted rat in the engine.  This was in DC (tons of rats) and apparently it is common.  The rats crawl into cars at night when the cars are still warm and it is cool outside.  They look around for food, start chewing wires and die.
  • The best way I can come up with to describe my mom is a cross between June Cleaver and Courtney Love (minus the herion and crack and stuff, she just likes to party.)
  • I remember when we had a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood dad always told me to bang on the car hood before starting the engine, especially during the winter time. Cats would curl up on top of the tires or try to get under the engine because it was nice and warm. That would not be a good surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards