Catholic Weddings

People who attend Eastern rite ceremonies

The title might not be totally appropriate, but here it goes.
We obviously are having an Eastern rite ceremony. Part of the ceremony are in our language and even written in our language, but apparently we can't change these thing to English because it wouldn't be done correctly. Rome has yet to get those parts translations approved and the ceremony would not be valid.
ANYWAYS, the point is that I would like to have those parts translated for the guests unoffically of course since we will have a lot of people who don't know the language (FI and I don't even know how to read it.), but FFIL thinks it's not necessary and we should only do the prayers and not the songs. The programs is already long and he doesn't want to extend it too much more. Is it worth having a 30 page long book so everyone can read along or should we just do the prayers and shorten it up? What would you like if you were a guest?

- Hope this makes sense

Re: People who attend Eastern rite ceremonies

• edited December 2011
    I would enjoy a more detailed program rather than less, but I don't know if it is necessary. I would include the words of anything that the guests should say (prayers, songs) so that they can feel like they are participating. I would maybe include summaries of each part rather than a word-for-word translation. This would make it shorter, but allow guests to feel like they are able to follow along.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't bother with a 30 page program (especially for as many guests as you're having....the printing would be a huge pain and costly)...are there missals already in the church? I like bibliophile's idea above of summarizing to shorten it up but I wouldn't mind just having the people's parts written/translated and nothing more. I may be atypical but we attend Tridentine Mass about 60% of the time and Byzantine Liturgy about 10% of the time, so not understanding the language really doesn't bother me (or DH)--in fact, we like the sense of mystery/veiling of the sacred that it brings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    Like caitriona said, is there a missal? If so, I don't think you need much. We just did a program with names and stuff because we had the missals for people to follow. DH's cousin was our cantor, and he busted out the Slavonic for the Lord's Prayer (which I didn't know he was going to do beforehand), but I don't think anyone had a problem.

I think if there's a missal it makes a huge difference. At least people who attend services regularly, I would think they could "find themselves" again after the non-English has concluded. They can pick up the next English part. Heck, I have to do that sometimes with Matins or Presanctified with Slavonic since I don't go as often as Liturgy.

If there isn't a missal, I would do a basic outline. Where it goes into your language, I would do a brief summary of what is being said. Then the rest can be detailed in English for everyone to follow along.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know for sure what you guys mean by missil. The ceremony is Malankara rite. We are a small church so everything is handed from our church heads to us. We only have 12 offical mission in the US that's how small we are.
    We are doing programs because there will be more Indians then "Americans" there and they will want to follow along. Plus, we already promised some of our what I like to call Super Catholic friends they would have something they could follow and know what's going on.
    Good to know switching to another language doesn't bother people and not having a translation helps.
  • bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    We mean a book that outlines the Liturgy, with the priest's parts and the congregation's responses, when to sit or stand, etc. Usually found on the back of the pew in front of you.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_people-attend-eastern-rite-ceremonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:fb29241f-2897-42e6-8c4b-e9211507926fPost:634c32e8-7262-4c05-b19f-73fceafc71e2">Re: People who attend Eastern rite ceremonies</a>:
    [QUOTE]We mean a book that outlines the Liturgy, with the priest's parts and the congregation's responses, when to sit or stand, etc. Usually found on the back of the pew in front of you.
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

Would apply here. We don't have one of those like the Latin rites do.
  • bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, most of the Ruthenian churches I've attended have only gotten them within the last 5 years.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_people-attend-eastern-rite-ceremonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:fb29241f-2897-42e6-8c4b-e9211507926fPost:4c82e45d-8746-4fc4-b5ec-499ed5a926ef">Re: People who attend Eastern rite ceremonies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, most of the Ruthenian churches I've attended have only gotten them within the last 5 years.
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

When I was one of the Leaders, it seemed like a constant "battle" to get Rome to get English versions of all our ceremonies done. They have apparently stopped because some other pressing matters came up and all concentration is for XYZ. This was towards the end of my term, but I told the new President to make sure he stays on top of it.
    I went to Latin rite Good Friday mass for the first time and I was moved to tears! I always kind of knew what was going on, but to hear and understand everything gave it so much more meaning. My emotions were on high after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards