Connecticut

How did you know it was the one?

So I went dress shopping for the second time today, and I've had my eye on a dress since the first day I was engaged. I got to try it on, and didn't want to take it off, which I take as a good sign...

but it seems like such a big decision, so I didn't buy it today!

Help! How did you know your dress was "the one"??
Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: How did you know it was the one?

• rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't stop smiling when I was wearing it...I was so comfortable in it, I actually thought it looked GOOD on me (which is rare)...and everyone around me said my face just lit up when I was wearing it in comparison to all the rest. It took several trips for me though, I started trying on only one style of dress and ended up with something I never thought I would like!
  • TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a simliar problem. I really thought I was going to get this one dress, I even tried it on three times. Then this past week I went to Mariella's again, and I tried on a different dress for the first time. And I pretty much just knew, THIS IS THE ONE. I thought it looked like it was made for me and I couldn't stop smiling. You'll know. It may take a while, but you will know. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TBee99TBee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_did-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:2e37eab4-17c3-4340-8750-48c07e9ae6e1Post:7a2990b7-566e-4ed7-88d6-d1905baaa56f">Re: How did you know it was the one?</a>:
    [QUOTE] It took several trips for me though, I started trying on only one style of dress and ended up with something I never thought I would like!
    Posted by rswan412[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! Don't think you will only like one style. Try on a ton!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_did-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2e37eab4-17c3-4340-8750-48c07e9ae6e1Post:5eb22f53-f4e0-44d8-87e8-611dd57f29a1">How did you know it was the one?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I went dress shopping for the second time today, and <strong>I've had my eye on a dress since the first day I was engaged. I got to try it on, and didn't want to take it off</strong>, which I take as a good sign... but it seems like such a big decision, so I didn't buy it today! Help! How did you know your dress was "the one"??
    Posted by SonoBella13[/QUOTE]

I think you have found your dress!
  • edited December 2011
    I knew *exactly* what type of dress I wanted, but the saleswoman made me try on different styles to make sure.  I veto'd everything that wasn't my idea of what I wanted.  It came down between 2 dresses, one of which I kept smiling when I was wearing and I was really emotional in it.  I'm an extremely detailed person and I started noticing things about the gown that I didn't like, and it seemed almost too "flowy" which I didn't want.  The 2nd dress that I loved didn't make me smile big and get all emotional at first, but the more I wore it (tried it on 2 separate times, and stalked it online for weeks) the more I loved it.

So for me, it was just finding the dress that I had envisioned in my head, and once I tried that on it was a no-brainer, and I found nothing wrong with it at all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I tried on dresses multiple times (I think I went dress shopping 3 times) and on the 2nd and 3rd time I came across my dress (Grace Lynette by Maggie Sottero).  Just like you, I did not want to take it off.  Every dress after that was perfectly nice, but I kept comparing it back to the one I loved.  That in my mind was how I knew that dress was the one, nothing else added up.  It went exactly with the style of my wedding (everyone called it "romantic") and it was light and delicate without paling in comparison.  It was lacy and sparkly without being over the top.  It just suited me so well...

*sigh* I wish I could wear my dress again
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my eye on my dress back when I went dress shopping with a friend and she tried it on.  I wasn't even engaged yet.  And then when I got engaged I started seeing the dress in every bridal magazine and on Say Yes To The Dress...I felt like the dress was stalking me.  So when I finally got to try it on, I didn't want to take it off.  But since it was the first dress I tried on I swore it couldn't be that easy so I made myself walk away and go to my next appt.  I was cranky at the next appt. and knew I really just wanted to go back and try my dress on again.  So we went back the same day and purchased it.
    It also helped that when I walked out in the dress my mother's phone went off and it was a text from then FI asking if I looked beautiful.
    And I definitely have no shame in putting my dress on after the wedding.  H will come home and I'll be standing in the kitchen washing dishes in my dress.  Household chores are way more fun when sporting your wedding dress.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there are a few essential components that it has to fit - it has to be in your budget, fit well, feel comfortable, suit the formality & style of your wedding & venue, and photograph well.  If it does all those things, then buy it!

For me, I was expecting and fully in support of the logical approach I just outlined (which I still believe in fully).  I had gone to 12 different stores and tried on well over 40 dresses, so I was very clinical - like this, don't like that, etc.  But when I tried on "my dress", and I stood on the little platform, I literally burst into tears.  Not like it was building up and I let it out - like it was completely spontaneous and instantaneous.  One minute I was fine, and the next I was sobbing!  And my Mom started crying, and the lady who owned the store started crying!  So... yeah, that was my dress!  And sadly it was out of my budget, but I'm very grateful that my Mom had told me to try it on anyway and that she'd make up the difference!!!

ETA: I would have been perfectly happy buying a dress that fit my logical rules.  And I wouldn't have bought a dress, even if it made me cry, if it didn't fit those needs (budget, fit, formality, etc.)

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    You will definitely know.  I thought I'd never get that feeling after going to 3 shops and trying on over 25 dresses.  Every dress was like, "Yeah it's nice..."  Then I started trying on styles I never thought I would like and when I came to my dress, I started feeling butterflies.  It was the first dress of that day, so I continued trying on others just in case.  But I kept finding myself eye "my dress" hanging in the corner, so i decided to put it back on and immediately started shaking and tearing up.  My sister knew it was the one when she saw my posture change, and my nini said "that's you" the first time I put it on, so she said "see I told you!" LOL!
    imageMoo Moo Kitten is resting... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think shows like "Say Yes to the Dress" build up this expectation that you will have this moment when you try on a dress, and it makes you cry, as well as everyone around you, and you just know.

I am an indecisive person, but I found my dress in one day after going to dress shop #1 (found a dress I LOVED but it was way too expensive), #2 (prices were great but didn't love how any dresses looked on me), and then shop #3 where I liked probably 6 dresses and really loved 2.  I finally picked the one that was closest to what I had always imagined for my wedding day, and I'm so glad I just made the decision and stuck with it.

It sounds to me like you have found your dress, if you keep thinking about it and it feels good and the price is in your budget, I say go for it!
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]It sounds to me like you have found your dress, if you keep thinking about it and it feels good and the price is in your budget, I say go for it!
    Posted by dannie134[/QUOTE]

I think you may be right! I've been thinking about this dress all day, and so I made an appointment to try it on again on Saturday...

Wish me luck :)
    Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • wineo929wineo929 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went dress shopping by myself (I just moved to Louisiana and had no friends or family here). As I'm sure you can understand it wasn't the most amazing experience.... BUT when I put THE dress on it was like my FI and I were all that I could think about. All I saw was him at the end of the aisle and I didn't even think about the fact that I was having a moment by myself with the sales lady haha. That's how I knew :) 

Seems like you have your winner :) Congrats!
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards