Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

**DC Ladies**

I am pleased to announce I will be "living" in DC starting next week - Monday through Friday for the next 6 months.

Is anyone up for a happy hour/dinner/shopping/anything sometime to save me from a lonly hotel room?

Re: **DC Ladies**

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oohh, I'd love to meet up sometime! What area are you staying in?
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kim, I'm planning to stay downtown, since I'll be working in Capital Hill, but I'm willing to hop the metro!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cool, sure let's meet up sometime! I work downtown (Chinatown), so it's no problem. As long as it's metro accessible, I am up for anything!

How do you feel about being down here for so long? I guess a hotel room and commuting back to Pgh on weekends will get old, but at least you have family here.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ehh, I'm very bitter - this is WAY more travel than is in my job description (which is up to 80% travel). I want to be able to see my husband and do my laundry! And I am SO not looking forward to that drive every Monday morning/Friday afternoon.

Any restaurants you recommend? I'm rusty on my memories of decent food, and hate eating fast food while traveling (it's bad enough to have to eat out for 3 meals a day)?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, but as far as travel destinations go, this is my best location so far, and I do have family in the area, so it's not as terrible as it could be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, I would feel the same way! Some people are used to travelling for workl, so I didn't know if my reaction would be a bit strong, since I am used to staying put.

There are soooo many restaurants around here, and too little time (and money, haha!) I don't know of any right on Capitol Hill, but ones that I hear raves about are: Proof (Chinatown area- I hear they have a great wine list), Zaytinya (Gallery Place/Chinatown again- Mediterranean and Greek tapas), Rasika (Indian)...popular chains that I'm sure you've heard of are Jaleo, La Tasca (both tapas), and Clyde's. Oh, and there's great Mexican restaurant by the Verizon Center- Rosa Mexicano. They have yummy guacamole!

I haven't been to a lot of those restaurants, but they are what I always see recommended on the DC Nest board. Definitely lurk on there- I swear someone asks for restaurant recs at least once a week!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Clyde's - how I've missed that place! I used to hit up the one in the Reston town Center almost weekly with my friends for Friday happy hours. Hopefully I can find a couple good soup/salad places, because it is way too easy to gain weight while on the road. And good call about the DC boards - I'll lurk on them when I have the chance.

Oh, and I'd be thrilled to meet up with you - I think my first few weeks there are going to be h3ll/16 hour days, but it should settle down by the end of Feb so that I can grab dinner or drinks elsewhere. I'll page you again when I have a cschedule I can rely on :)
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oohh, I second that recommendation for Jaleo.  I think it's my favorite tapas place anywhere!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome. Smile As for soup-salad type of place, there's Chop't- I've never been, but heard good things about it from a coworker.

LaFemme- I soooo want to try Jaleo! Maybe I'll choose it for my birthday dinner next month.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and if you're in Chinatown, I think we're super close - I'll be in Judiciary Square (although it's been ~5 years - my mental "map" of downtown might be off).
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kim, FI and I went to the one in Bethesda about seven years ago, and it was the first time I had tapas at all.  We've since gone back a couple times and to the one downtown, and I love it!  It would be a great birthday dinner :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_dc-ladies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:b9293a37-a9bc-4d6f-9d8d-a806531f9873Post:7887ce3d-7a0a-4ab4-a87e-07e590f27a59">Re: **DC Ladies**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and if you're in Chinatown, I think we're super close - I'll be in Judiciary Square (although it's been ~5 years - my mental "map" of downtown might be off).
    Posted by New_to_PGH[/QUOTE]

Nope, you are right- you'll only be a few blocks away from me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got off my assignment at Judiciary Square, but you definitely have a few good places to eat around you!

Cowgirl Creamery is a cheese shop that makes three sandwiches a day.  They are all soooo good.  You have to go in early though to be sure you can get one, since they only make a limited amount.  They also have great granola.

Taqueria National is hidden within a building, but has good, authentic Mexican.  No seating, aside from a few tables outside.  The horchata is good, and the strawberry agua is out of this world (the other flavors are not).

During the summer months, the farmer's market offers freshly made empanadas, which I can never pass up.  You'll also have tons of offerings in Penn Quarter (aka Chinatown aka Gallery Place). 

If I can remember more, I'll reply again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello! Sorry I missed this post yesterday. I live in Woodley Park and hang out for HH in Chinatown/Penn Quarter pretty regularly, and would love to meet up sometime!

Ella's has a great Happy Hour... I think it is $5 pizza and sangria. Matchbox is DELICIOUS, but gets crowded. Bar Louie has a great HH too. I'd love to tag along for a HH!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jl - thanks for the recs! I'll for sure page you and kim when I've got my work hours under control and can go out for food/drinks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards