Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need help describing food at reception

Hi, everyone! I'm having trouble figuring out how to describe the reception food on the invite. My FI and I are getting married at an early evening ceremony in June, and we're going for a "fancy picnic" theme, with little gourmet sandwiches, fresh fruit, fancy pasta salads, that sort of thing. This is partly because we're both Midwestern and love our summer family get-togethers, but also because we're on a budget and this is much cheaper!

The problem is that some of my FI's family thinks we should have the traditional chicken/fish/steak options. If we had the money, we wouldn't be opposed to it... but we don't. But his mom especially is afraid that people might talk about how the food isn't what they're expecting.

So, with all that background, here's my question!  :)  How should we describe the food on the invite? Dinner? Light dinner? Refreshments? The ceremony starts at 6:30 pm and will be done around 7:15.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up for the standard full dinner, I guess... we'll have plenty of food so that everyone can eat a full dinner, it just won't be the kind of meal most people might expect at a wedding...

Re: Need help describing food at reception

• edited December 2011
    I really don't think that you need to put anything, because like you said... it is a full dinner (just not what they are expecting). I'm sure some people will be relieved to not have the standard!

Traditional Summer Picnic to follow?

PS- I love PITTSBURGH! Where are you getting married? I went to PITT and miss it so much :(
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. You could put Picnic to follow or something. It is still going to be a full course, so I think people will think its cute!!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think there's any reason to mention anything about the food on the invite.  The only time when that is needed, IMO, is if it's a dessert reception only or if you will only be serving appetizers.

Since you will be serving a full meal, there is no reason to state that on the invite.  If people will really be offended when they get to the reception and see other foods besides the "normal" stuff, then they have problems.
  • ekilzer1ekilzer1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_need-describing-food-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:be154354-f3a4-4dcc-bdd8-5105ced0cea9Post:ce2f0b08-2d97-4208-8cc7-ff8cd9ac9b5e">Re: Need help describing food at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's any reason to mention anything about the food on the invite.  The only time when that is needed, IMO, is if it's a dessert reception only or if you will only be serving appetizers. Since you will be serving a full meal, there is no reason to state that on the invite.  If people will really be offended when they get to the reception and see other foods besides the "normal" stuff, then they have problems.
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ditto... I wouldn't even mention food on the invite- I would say a meal is expected unless otherwise stated... and you are feeding them a meal. If you are REALLY concerned with what people might expect, maybe find a place for it on your wedding website or something. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think it's a cute idea- and it's what you and your FH want so who cares what anyone else thinks!!!</div><div>
    </div>
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I would only list the food if you need them to chose their entree.

I miss Pittsburgh too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • deejandhildeejandhil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the support, everyone! I probably won't mention the food at all on the invite.

For all you Pittsburgh lovers, we're getting married and having our reception at the Aviary over on the North Side... we managed to book it before they really raised their rates, so we can actually afford it. Even though my FI and I are both from the Midwest, we met in Pittsburgh and can't imagine getting hitched anywhere else.  :)
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at a residential facility for kids in the 'Burgh, we did a field trip to the Aviary.  We had so much fun. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chyvioletchyviolet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other posts -- I don't think you need to explain the food.  If you are worried about guest reactions, you could ask your family & friends to "spread the word" so there is less of a surprise about what you are serving.  Your ideas sound really cute.  If I were you, I might theme the invitations to reflect something of a picnic so that maybe its a running theme for the day... then no one will be surprised about the food -- it will just make sense.
  • edited December 2011

This midwestern girl thinks your menu sounds delicious!  Kudos to you for thinking outside the box.  I think your guests will be pleasantly surprised at having something other than the usual chicken, beef, or fish. 

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards