Ohio-Cincinnati

Bridesmaid Shoe Problem!

I have one bridesmaid that wears a size 11 (!) and I haven't been able to find my bridesmaid shoe in her size.  That is, until last week.  I finally found it online in her size, but it was the red satin version instead of the black satin (all the bridesmaids are wearing the black satin version).  I figured if I bought the red version I could get it dyed black.  I will admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about dyeing shoes, so that was a huge assumption I made when I bought the red shoes.   

Well, I took it to a highly recommended shoe shop today and they refused to dye them because he said they are not dye-able fabric and they may streak.  He said I could try other shoe repair shops and see if they would try it, but he didn't want to risk it because he told me "these are too nice".  They are nice shoes, but what he didn't know is that I got them on sale for $19 (down from $80) so I feel like I could take the risk and try to dye them. 

What do you think?  Should I try a few other places and if one agrees to do it, take the chance that her shoes will not look right after the dye job?  Or should I return the red pair and pray that eventually a black pair in a size 11 will miraculously become available?  

I know matching bridesmaids shoes should be the least of my worries, but for some reason I've become somewhat fixated on this.  TIA!  
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Bridesmaid Shoe Problem!

• edited December 2011
    Not sure where you ordered them online, but will they accept returns if the price was down to $19 from $80.  If they do, do you have to pay for shipping it back yourself (if so, you might be paying around the price you got them for just to ship them back).  If either of these is the case I would take my chances (since they really didn't cost that much) and have them dyed and see how they turn out.  If they don't turn out well, it lkooks like you still have a year and a half until your wedding.  Start looking online and if you absolutley can't find them before the wedding have her get a similar pair of black shoes.  If your bridesmaid dresses are long I don't think anyone is going to know.  And if their short if they look similar enough I don't think anyone will notice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you only spent $20 on them I would try to dye them yourself.  I have frieds who routiely spray (regular spray paint) shoes to change them from gold to silver, back to gold etc.  Same pair of shoes, do it somewhat frequently. 

You could try either spray paint or a roll on dye. I would think since you are going to black that it would work.  I can see why the store didn't want to chance it, if it didn't work you might come back on them for a refund and you might tell other people that they shop did bad work (you might not do that but they don't know that and a lot of people would so they don't want to take the chance). 

For $20, I would just try it myself.
  • ninjette04ninjette04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are the bmaids dresses long? If so, I would take the chance to just do it yourself for $20.  If they get messed up, since the dresses are long you could just find her a similar pair.  My girls dresses are long, so I just asked them to find a nice pair of brown dress shoes that they are comfortable in.
    ~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I decided to check with two shoe repair places near my house and if they both refuse I will try to dye them myself.  

The bridesmaid dresses are short, so I'd LOVE to have them all wear the same shoe if possible.

I paid $6.95 for shipping and I would have to pay to ship them back (the site does take returns for 30 days), so I may as well keep them and see what I can do.  

Thanks again for the responses - if anyone can recommend a good brand of dye/fabric paint, please let me know!
  • edited December 2011
    Either let her feel sassy in red shoes or buy some fabric or leather paint and go to town- no one will notice!
  • edited December 2011
    rite dye does have black dye. Maybe just try and leave it in there for a really long time? (like 12 hrs)
  • abromanelloabromanello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, don't know why it was so hard to find a size 11 shoe.  I wear a size 11 and have been in several weddings always been able to find a shoe in my size.  Anyway, I understand really wanting them to match, but maybe you should have chosen a shoe that was available in all sizes for your girls?  Sorry, I'm just sensitive from years of having trouble finding shoes.  I would take the risk of having them dyed since they weren't too expensive.  If you can't, I bet you can find a very similar black pair for her.
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Quick update - today I went to my tried and true shoe repair place that I use to repair my worn down heels, etc.  They agreed to dye the shoes and told me that there would not be streaks on the satin - and they'll be ready this weekend!  They know the man who I met with at the other shoe store and they said he probably refused to dye them b/c I didn't buy the shoes there.  

So this all ended well - and to address the previous post, I found the shoes before I knew anyone's sizes.  They are sold on a site where items become available randomly, so I was hoping that we could make this work for everyone - which it did!  :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards