Catholic Weddings

The Duggars

I know they're not Catholic, but why dont' they use natural family planning? 

Re: The Duggars

• edited December 2011
    They have said that they tried birthcontrol and it didn't work.  I'm guessing they used NFP/FAM and didn't do it right or used the rhythm method, which doesn't work.  I think their belief is that they need to accept all children that God gives them, or something like that.  That's my best guess as to why they don't use it.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • edited December 2011
    I think similar to what blackfire5th said, that after they used birth control and what they feel realized it was not God's way for them, that all children are blessings from God and that they needed to be open to those blessings at all times. So NFP would mean not always being open to them I guess.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know either. I think that is nuts if you ask me. I am open to children and all and believe they are a gift from God, but having that many is: a litte excessive and selfish, not good for your body, and how in the heck do they afford all of them? We want 3 or 4 kids but will take whatever God gives us in my fertile years. But I want to be able to provide for them and not have to skimp on one to provide for the other. I think that goes against God's plan. I am not going to be a Mom at 55 when you should be a Grandma or on your way to being a Grandma. I want to see my kids grow up, not be 75 years old when they are only 20 and just starting the best days of their lives. Sorry for the rant.
  • skyblondeskyblonde member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They used chemical birth control and felt it contributed to a miscarriage.  Maybe like PPs said, they just felt NFP would mean they wouldn't always be open to conceiving children.  Also, NFP isn't just for Catholics.   
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

While it think their choice of lifestyle is odd, and not for me, they clearly can afford the kids they have, dont take welfare/public assistance, and seem very happy.  they also appear to have had healthy pregnancies and babies, with the exception of their newest baby.  that is where i start to worry.  from what i've read, they are already speaking about how great another one would be, when maybe this preemie was god's way of telling them that Mrs. D's body really cannot handle more children.

yes, the bible tells us to "be fruitful and multiply" but one must also exercise common sense when doing so.  having more children doesnt make you more catholic/religious/closer to god. 

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh... why should they? It's pretty clear that they're not TTA. I have no objection to the way they live their lives if they're self-sustaining (which it appears they are).
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    100% agree with Calypso and ring_pop! Their children are being provided for, so I have no problem with it. I do think they are getting into an unsafe/unhealthy situation at this point and should re-evaluate their plans to continue having children.
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's my understanding that they're followers of the Quiverfull movement, which basically means that you don't use any sort of birth control or even natural family planning and welcome all the children that God gives you:

"Quiverfull authors and adherents express their core motivation as a desire to obey God's commands as stated in the Bible. Among these commands, "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:22; 9:7), "behold, children are a gift of the Lord" (Psalm 127:3), and passages showing God acting to open and close the womb (Genesis 20:18, 29:31, 30:22; 1 Samuel 1:5-6; Isaiah 66:9) are interpreted as giving basis for their view.

Quiverfull adherents typically maintain that their philosophy is first about an open, accepting and obedient attitude toward the possibility of birthing children. Within the view, this attitude may result in many, few or even no children, because God Himself maintains sole provenance over conception and birth. The duty of the Quiverfull adherent is only to maintain an "open willingness" to joyfully receive and not thwart however many children God chooses to bestow. Contraception in all its forms is seen as inconsistent with this attitude and is thus entirely avoided..."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_duggars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:da25dae1-7d4d-4914-bac6-52763a8173c3Post:fcbe3d9c-0fb6-4121-bb54-732797bf3cd0">Re: The Duggars</a>:
    [QUOTE]While it think their choice of lifestyle is odd, and not for me, they clearly can afford the kids they have, dont take welfare/public assistance, and seem very happy.  they also appear to have had healthy pregnancies and babies, with the exception of their newest baby.  that is where i start to worry.  from what i've read, they are already speaking about how great another one would be, when maybe this preemie was god's way of telling them that Mrs. D's body really cannot handle more children. yes, the bible tells us to "be fruitful and multiply" but one must also exercise common sense when doing so.  having more children doesnt make you more catholic/religious/closer to god.   
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't think the recent birth is God's way of telling them to stop. Preeclampsia<strong><em> <span style="font-weight:normal;" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-style:normal;" class="Apple-style-span">occurs in about 8% of pregnancies, so it really is just statistically probabal that she would have complications now and then.</span></span></em></strong><span style="color:#000000;font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:normal;font-size:medium;" class="Apple-style-span">  </span>

</div>
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

is there any increased risk of preeclampsia when you've had X number of children or when you only have X months between pregnancies?

while i may occur in 8% of pregnancies, one could argue that God decided this pregnancy should be part of that 8% in order to send some sort of a message to the duggars.  it all depends upon how you view God's role.

with regard to pregnancies, i view it such that if God wants there to be a child, then there will be one.  that is why no form of BC/NFP/FAM is 100% - only abstinence is 100%.

• edited December 2011

To answer Calypso's questions, you are actually at a higher risk for preeclampsia during your first pregnancy.  Also, the longer you wait between pregnancies the higher your risk of developing preeclampsia.  So the multitude of children she has and the short time between pregnancies probably does not explain why she had complications with this pregnancy.

Married February 26th, 2011 TTC #1 since May 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_duggars?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:da25dae1-7d4d-4914-bac6-52763a8173c3Post:a1906d5e-f027-4577-b867-53f8001e23d7">Re: The Duggars</a>:
    [QUOTE]  that is why no form of BC/NFP/FAM is 100% - only abstinence is 100%.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

<div>And we all know one instance where abstinence didn't even work!  ;)</div>
    bio
  • AnnekiteAnnekite member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let's be honest.  They have a strong financial reason to not rely on birth control.  The show IS called 19 kids and counting.  I'm sure they get more money from TLC with every child they have.

Catholic who believes in the Pill.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I honestly do not believe they are having children for the purposes of the show or to earn more money. They had more than a dozen kids before getting any media attention.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards