Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

DJ Dilemma

I gave FI the job to search for DJs because I was too busy. We’ve met with 3 DJs so far. I like DJ #2 and he likes DJ #3. He really wants to use DJ #3 but I do NOT want them for our wedding. I’m trying to find common ground but it’s hard since FI really really wants DJ #3.

Do I bite my tongue and say okay to DJ #3? Or is there some other option I’m not seeing?

Re: DJ Dilemma

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What's your reason for not wanting DJ #3?
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_dj-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:169f56cd-8776-4240-894f-52584fb48209Post:bade6c22-b6bd-4e9d-b2f8-80b751766915">Re: DJ Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's your reason for not wanting DJ #3?
    Posted by Jay&Marissa[/QUOTE]

This is important for us to know.  If its finances that are non-negotiable (as in, they are $2000 over your budget) or you don't feel as though they can provide the type of service that you want and create the atmosphere you want at your wedding, that to me would be time to say something and stick to your guns.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AshJohnson30AshJohnson30 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Yes very important detail...the company is actually the cheaper of the two but I think they lack professionalism. One example (and maybe it isn't that big of a deal) is they will drink during our wedding. FI thinks I'm overreacting but I think that's weird for a vendor to drink while on the job especially if we aren't offering. I don't want to discredit the work FI put into researching and finding a DJ he likes but I also don't want to regret my choice.

• Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_dj-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:169f56cd-8776-4240-894f-52584fb48209Post:e38ad5e8-e70c-4e7e-b46f-7ad01986487d">Re: DJ Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes very important detail...the company is actually the cheaper of the two but I think they lack professionalism. <strong>One example (and maybe it isn't that big of a deal) is they will drink during our wedding.</strong> FI thinks I'm overreacting but I think that's weird for a vendor to drink while on the job especially if we aren't offering. I don't want to discredit the work FI put into researching and finding a DJ he likes but I also don't want to regret my choice.
    Posted by AshJohnson30[/QUOTE]

<div>Big deal. (Seriously). </div><div>
    </div><div>Did they tell you that they will drink during the wedding? Because if they flat out told you that I would take that as a red flag and say you are right you should not work with them. If it was just word of mouth then I would ask them about it point blank if they drink at weddings.</div><div> If they say yes then maybe you could work it into the contract that they are not to drink at your wedding...but you could just make it easy and not use them.</div>
  • Options
    angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_dj-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:169f56cd-8776-4240-894f-52584fb48209Post:5991e93d-5920-4b9d-9925-9a0a06ae1a1c">Re: DJ Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DJ Dilemma : Big deal. (Seriously).  Did they tell you that they will drink during the wedding? Because if they flat out told you that I would take that as a red flag and say you are right you should not work with them. If it was just word of mouth then I would ask them about it point blank if they drink at weddings.  If they say yes then maybe you could work it into the contract that they are not to drink at your wedding...but you could just make it easy and not use them.
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

ITA agree with all of this.  I would never hire a vendor that would drink at my wedding.  I would never hire a photographer who would drink on the job or a server or anyone else who would do that. Not only is it unprofessional but it is a disaster waiting to happen.  They are at work, not at a party (at least for them).  You could put it into the contract perhaps, but personally I wouldn't want to screw around with anything like that.  I really don't want to feel like I have to babysit my vendors to make sure they don't get blitzed at my wedding... but I'm also the type of person that gets worried and anxious about things easily. That is just incredibly unprofessional that they would drink at your wedding while they are working...wow.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep he inadvertently told us while talking about other weddings he'd worked. And then kept going on about it like it wasn't a big deal. I'm so glad I'm not overreacting. I understand FI's point of view that it's a party and he wants everyone to enjoy themselves but I don't include the vendors drinking in that. I guess we'll just have to research some more until we both can agree cause I value his opinion in this process and I like that he actually cares about helping.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Totally a big deal! Didn't someone recently post a vendor review where her DJ was getting sloshed and was horrible? Professionals don't drink while working...in any field.
  • Options
    laurencstelaurencste member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Drink during your wedding?!  What does this mean, that you will have to provide beverages? Because he most certainly won't be in the headcount, right, so why is the venue providing him free booze?  SUCH A DEALBREAKER.  No, no, no. Do YOU drink on the job?  Neither should he! 
  • Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_dj-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:169f56cd-8776-4240-894f-52584fb48209Post:a7cc6c7d-2c24-46ab-ba42-f631190a461e">Re: DJ Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep he inadvertently told us while talking about other weddings he'd worked. And then kept going on about it like it wasn't a big deal. I'm so glad I'm not overreacting. I understand FI's point of view that <strong>it's a party and he wants everyone to enjoy themselves but I don't include the vendors drinking in that</strong>. I guess we'll just have to research some more until we both can agree cause I value his opinion in this process and I like that he actually cares about helping.
    Posted by AshJohnson30[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Your DJ shouldn't come to party. He should come to work.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally unprofessional and I don't understand why your FI would want that--unless it's because he's the cheapest.  But, you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_dj-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:169f56cd-8776-4240-894f-52584fb48209Post:0b7477d7-c207-464b-8da4-e7b15f7af254">Re: DJ Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]Totally unprofessional and I don't understand why your FI would want that--unless it's because he's the cheapest.  But, you get what you pay for.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I think FI and I are just looking for different things. He wants it to be like a party/club (which DJ #3 fits) I want a DJ that will make our wedding reception an enjoyable event, still a party but not like an 18 and up club lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey, Melodies & Memories had our guests on the floor the ENTIRE night and they are very reasonable!

We also got glow sticks, plastic gangsta hats, etc. that made it even more fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards