Snarky Brides

"As long as we both shall love"???

I am hearing a lot lately about weddings where the vows are "as long as we both shall love", not "live". I guess it is suppose to be a more realistic approach to marriage. To me, it sounds like a pledge to be on an extended date and live in, not a marriage. If you are making a commitment, are you not at least trying for a lifetime? That is what marriage means to me.

People can say whatever vows they wish to each other, of course and if the "as long as we both shall love" thing makes sense to the couple involved, that is all that matters I suppose but I personally do not get it. Why not just shack up "for as long as you both shall love"?

Re: "As long as we both shall love"???

• Yeah I agree on this one. It sounds like you already recognize that it could end at some point. This isn't what the whole marriage thing is really all about. I used to me all about serial monogamy but then decided to end that with marriage.
  • i had an issue with the "love, honor, and obey" thing
  • I promise to stay with you for as long as it is convenient.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • mushEmushE member
    First Comment
    My sister's officiant (a teacher with her DH) at her wedding over 10 years ago said this, and she won't let her DH forget it.  ;)  This was not in the plan. 

It's pretty lame, IMO. 
  • PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_long-shall-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:99ec1704-19a5-435a-856d-e96a39b99d37Post:ebd22fe4-a31f-4b8a-81cb-fe8bc81cd490">Re: "As long as we both shall love"???</a>:
    [QUOTE]i had an issue with the "love, honor, and obey" thing
    Posted by caseylynne21[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

I think there could be better wording, and I'm not a fan of any vows that sound just like hundreds of other couples'. But meh, people can say what they want and I think I prefer this to some of the wording in traditional vows.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • wild horses could not get me to say the "obey" thing :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_long-shall-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:99ec1704-19a5-435a-856d-e96a39b99d37Post:949166de-e940-4c54-9a35-c055c5b88505">Re: "As long as we both shall love"???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I promise to stay with you for as long as it is convenient.
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]

Those were the same words in his proposal (jk)
  • Someone told me saying "love" instead of "live" was really popular in the 90s.  I don't like it either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards