Hawaii

Travel recs

Needing travel info so we can make things more affordable.  Thx!

Re: Travel recs

• mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :-(

I'm trying to gear myself up for this feeling.  We're doing the same as you, put our closest in the wedding party and I'm really trying to convince FI that we can afford to pay for their hotel for however long they're there for.  We've gotten good prices back from our TA, and I'm glad people can put a deposit down and pay the rest later, but still.  It's $600/person for a flight, and we aren't the type of people that routinely have that kind of money lying around to spend on a flight, plus all the other stuff that comes with being on vacation.

Have you looked into a travel agent at all for her?  Ours is great so far, she's gotten us a nonstop flight from MSP to HNL for $300 less than orbitz and expedia, same exact flight number.
  • edited December 2011
    sorry to hear :(.  I can imagine how hard it is with the economy and such!  But you are definitely right...prices fluctuate and you can just never tell.  Definitely tell her to try different sites as well as keep checking back.  Hope things work out...sorry you have to deal with this...hang in there!
    Todd & Cari
    7.23.2011~Hale Koa Hotel
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Mocha - What TA are you using?  We prefer to book our own trips, so we didn't use one, but if I can refer them to someone, that might be helpful.

Thanks girls.
  • edited December 2011
    Carrie-I totally understand how you feel.  I'll be getting married afew days before you do and FI and I are gettting asked when is it the best time to buy plane tickets.  Granted most of our guests are flying in from the west coast but we do have about 8-9 individuals flying in from TX, including all three of my BMs.  Where is you BM flying from?? I've been checking on plane tickets periodically and so far tickets are still high.  I remeber around last year, prices for August travel were lower around April/May. 

This will workout in the end...
    Ally & Mar | 08.09.10 | The Coconut Club, Oahu
    Planning Bio-updated 06/07 | Married Bio & For SALE items

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Ahh. Crunch time sucks. There's no way around it. People - especially those who don't travel much - won't have planned properly and so have no realistic idea of the cost. I think, unfortunately, that's just part and parcel of a DW. It's one of those trade-offs we make for getting married in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

If you haven't checked him out - there's a TA on Oahu named Daryll Wong. Eacerna used him and he got all sorts of deals for her guests. Maybe get her to get in touch with him?

Also, most of our guests booked tickets in March, which is when the deals seemed to be the best.

• edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat :( One of my MOHs just told me a few weeks ago that she and her husband can't fly out for the wedding in October! I am suuuuper bummed but of course I am not going to let it ruin our friendship. One of the reasons why I picked October was because the plane tickets are typically cheaper, for all of my family and friends flying in from OOT. Oh well I guess! Maybe she will get an awesome tax return or something. Even if it was just her without her husband, that would be great!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Kaesha is right.  It's all part of the package.  One of my closest friends told me the other day that he is not going to be able to make it - he was laid off most of last year - gotta love the economy.  I was not surprised or hurt due to knowing the situation of the country right now.   He'll be there in our thoughts.
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Carrie, I'm using Rhonda with Travel By VIP.  She came highly recommended from the brides.com board.  Email is rhondavipvacations@rcn.com, website is travelbyvip.com.
  • edited December 2011
    I can completely relate. I've gone through periods of time when I've felt guilty about choosing a destination wedding. It sounds like you've been more than gracious to your WP, though. Covering 4 nights accommodation is a generous gesture. Sorry you're feeling bummed.  
  • edited December 2011
    Don't feel guilty!  My childhood best friend of 24 years just bailed as a bridesmaid because of the cost.  What really stinks is that we didn't ask ANYONE (even our siblings) to be in our wedding party until they said they were coming because we didn't want to "guilt" in anyone to traveling to Kauai this August.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there.....

Here are a few sites that can help determine fares, etc.

Bing.com (formerly Farecast.com) uses a predictablilty algerithim that can help determine when the best time to buy (based on historical data/trends).
    http://www.bing.com/travel/?cid=homenav&FORM=Z9LH9

Another great site to help determine the cheapest routings is
    http://itasoftware.com/
    Their QPX fare shop engine powers many of the online sites as well as airlines.
    The one thing they don't do is actually BOOK the reservation.  However, they will provide links to applicable airlines.  To get to the QPX shopping tool, from the home page, click on Search Airfares Using QPX,  You can either create an account OR sign in as a Guest to run search queries.

HTH!

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again girls.  I'll send along your TA recs.  Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards